Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: How to add an existing unit to another faction

Default Re: How to add an existing unit to another faction

yes i found it and thats done
    now i'm trying to edit the world map but i had toreinsatll TATW cause after a modification a the files needed it didnt want to load a new campaign :sigh:

Great & lol first rule of modding always make backups before you fiddle with the files.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

how do i kknow which index number my newly created faction has(created from scratch) i wish to clone all the units of another faction to that one, how to do that?

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Inside the descr_sm_factions.txt file, found in the data folder. Each faction has a index type for their symbols.
    faction england
    culture northern_european
    religion catholic
    symbol models_strat/symbol_england.CAS
    rebel_symbol models_strat/symbol_rebels.CAS
    primary_colour red 185, green 0, blue 0
    secondary_colour red 255, green 210, blue 0
    loading_logo loading_screen/symbols/symbol128_england.tga
    standard_index 1 <---------------------------------------------- *here*
    logo_index FACTION_LOGO_ENGLAND
    small_logo_index SMALL_FACTION_LOGO_ENGLAND
    triumph_value 5
    custom_battle_availability yes
    can_sap no
    prefers_naval_invasions yes
    can_have_princess yes
    has_family_tree yes
    standard_index images: The standard_index defines which symbol is used for which faction, for the factions banners on the camping map (the banners being held up by captians, generals and on settlements). These images/symbols are found in the data/banners/ folder. You should see files called symbols1.tga symbols2.tga symbols3.tga ... etc.

Each symbolsx.tga file can hold up to 4 faction symbols. The standard index tells the game which symbol to use for what faction. For example in Englands entry in the descr_sm_factions.txt file (as seen above), Englands standard_index is 1.

The standard_index starts at 0 and can number all the factiosn in the mod. standard_index 0 will be in the symbols1.tga file. 0 would be in the top left quater. 1 is in the top right. 2 is in the bottom left. 3 is in the bottom right. So in summary, the index images for 0,1,2,3 are all in symbols1.tga.

For index images 4,5,6,7, they would be in the symbols2.tga file. The same pattern continoues for the index images (4 is top left, 5 is top right, 6 is bottom left 7 is bottom right).

Each faction should have their own standard_index number. But it dosnt matter if two factions share the same standard_index. England and Scotland could both use the same standard_index 1, if you wanted. They would both show the same symbol on their banners on the campaign map.

When adding in a new faction you should give them their own standard_index number. All the previous factions before should already have a standard_index number. Find the largest standard_index number, then you will know what new number to give your new faction. Keep in mind this may mean you might need to make a new symbolsx.tga file to fill this new standard_index symbol. To test that its working, you should add in a unique colour or symbol into the new symbolsx.tga file, so that if it works in game you will notice the change.

You can re-number/change the standard_index for all of the factions at anytime.

Some mods have a unique symbolsx.tga file that is made only for the rebel faction. There could be one, two or more of these image files that are used only for rebels. These symbolx.tga files work the same but, the standard_index is important. Changing the standard_index for rebels chould mess up your order of the symbols. Im not sure how this works but I've seen it in the regions and proviences mod.

Its a lot of info to take in when editing the index for a faction. Hope that helps
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

i think it does

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    how do i kknow which index number my newly created faction has(created from scratch) i wish to clone all the units of another faction to that one, how to do that?
    I thought you checked my tut? It's listed in there, page 3:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gig's manual
    Last change needed is the entry for ‘standard_index’. The graphic is located in the data\banners folder and will be one of the symbols.tga files. There are 4 faction symbols on each file and their index numbers start with zero, starting top left, then top right, bottom left, bottom right. There was one spot open on the symbol6.tga and I added our symbol to it. If I have counted right, it should be number 23 then. Change the ‘standard_index’ from 9 to 23. If you need more symbol.tga files, you will have to add an entry in ‘descr_standards.txt’. Add an entry above the ‘rebel_factions’ line. The counting of numbers proceeds from the last number of symbol6.tga (23) straight to the one of symbol9.tga!!

i did and i understood that, but not that it was connected to battle.models.modeldb. so i didnt need all that explaining
    Last edited by Makrell; August 01, 2011 at 12:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Looks like you mixed stuff up - these banners we talked about are for the strategic map, not for the battle map. They have got nothing to do with the modeldb file.
    In fact even the battle banners have got nothing to do with the modeldb, just with the unit categories in the EDU. Or did you mean something else?

i meant what number to use in the battle.models.modelsdb for my newly created faction
    cant do it atm though caus ei suddenly got an unexplained error

Blog Entries

The number in front of the faction name is equivalent to the number of letters. There is a tut about working with the modeldb file I believe. If not, then this should be helpful.

thank you

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

Just the manual I looked for - and it works perfectly. Thank You, Stephan.

... i'm not playing vanilla, and i'm playing a mod that already unpacked it... I can't find the battle_models_modelb file anywhere....
    Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod
    trying to add Dismounted Broken Lances, Dismounted Men At Arms, Men At Arms back into campaign... every attempt i've made has failed...
    I'm not computer savy btw

Im playing M2TW with LOTR 3.1 mod, and i was wondering if it is possible to add Spear Militia and Sword Militia to Eriador, Arnor, Dale, Gondor and Rohan factions to be recruited at the lowest level barracks for infantry.

I have tried doing it according to the OP but got a crash with no log on 1. try and an unspecified error crash on 2. right after launch.
    im pretty sure everything was as it was supose to be but as soon as i change any of the files the game just wouldn't start anymore.

Any feedback appriciated.

Could someone please help me I tried to change the truks faction leader with eygpts faction leader I just changed the names of the two factions in the modeldb file and the same in descr character file I'm using the broken steel units mod but the colours were all messed up for the leaders on the battlefield could someone please help me thank you.

Update:
    I have managed to get the units for custom battles with the help of this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=356981 , however i cant seem to get them to work right in campaign since these units arent recruitable from any buildings.

What lines do i have to add to the barracks so that the Spear and Sword militia are recruitable?
    Anyone?

Just scroll down the section where barracks are mentioned in EDB aka export_descr_buildings.txt file and add the units you want without any conditions and it will show on the campaign mode then.

I followed the guidance but when I put the "Black guard morr" into hungary faction, of course I can play it in custom battle, the soldier looks okay but the horses that those guys ride are in white shape ????? , don't know why ? Dont' know what the problem is ? I missed something ?

Hi, i'm playing TATW 3.1. All i want to do for now is make it possible for Silvan Elves to be able to recruit the smiths of Eregion unit, should they take control of Ost-in-Edhil. To make this possible do only need to edit the campaign related files mentioned in the first post? or do i still need to alter the other info too?