Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How to add an existing unit to another faction

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to add an existing unit to another faction

Same steps as outlined above, but if the some of the steps are already done . . . don't do them.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Thanks for the quick but effective guide!

I am new but I am learning how to mod and I wondered how to get different troops for another faction!

Thanks again!

Ok, i opened up the battle_model file w/ notepad, but when i do it looks nothing like what you've got, but just a garbled mess of text. I cant find anything. Please Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Killheart901 View Post
    Ok, i opened up the battle_model file w/ notepad, but when i do it looks nothing like what you've got, but just a garbled mess of text. I cant find anything. Please Help!!!
    Formatted Campaign ModelDB files
    ^That's what you need.

TY!!!!!!!

Ok now this game is aggrevating me. I followed all the steps to give units to other factions, same as i used to do in Rome TW all the time. I'm trying to take the Lancers unit away from France and give it to England. I Gave england ownership in EDU, i changed it in the EDB so england recruits the unit rather than France, and i now gave england the textuer in battle_model as well. But for some reason when i start the game, it not only starts fine, but doesnt seem to recognize any of the changes. France still has Lancers, in campaign and custom, no crashes in campaign or custom battle, and its like i never did anything. Srry if i seem noobish, but can som1 plz help me!!!

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Did you delete the map.rwm and start a new campaign?

Map.rwm??
    Its not only in campaign though, france still has Lancers and England doesnt in custom battles too.

data\world\maps\base. RTW has one, too.

Ok, i deleted that file, launched the game, and france can still use Lancers in custom an england doesnt hav em, i even played a campaign rly quick and england couldnt build em either.

Did you add them to the battle_models.modeldb for the faction?

Instead of copy/pasting the texture lines and changin the name to england, i just changed the original to england from france, sice i figured i wanted to actually give the unit from france to england, france isnt gonna have the unit anyway. Could that actually conflict? how is it different then copying?

What are you trying to do can you explain it in brief and simple English?

Lol. Im trying to give the Lancers cavalry unit from france, to england. I used to do this kinda stuff all the time in rtw, but im having problems now. I followed all the steps: i changed ownership in EDU from france to england, i changed EDB so england can recruit the unit, and i changed the faction name of the texture script in battle_models.modeldb from france to england. Whenever i launch the game though, france has the unit and england doesnt, in both campaign and custom battles. England doesnt even have the unit card in custom battles. I'm trying to figure out the problem. If you can help, much appreciated.

The unit cards are in ui\units and ui\unit_info by faction.

Do you have the

[io]

file_first = true

in your .cfg?

..........No i didnt, so how do i do that???

You need that command open the medieval2.preference.cfg file with notepad and save this command inside it. If you can't save it then make sure the file under it's properties is not set to read only type.
    If you still fail in achieving then upload your modeldb and EDU file i will do it for you so that both can have them.
    Code:
    [io]
    file_first = true
    Also you have to put this unit in EDB also so that england can recruit it in grand campaign(ownership).

Where can i find the medieval2.preference.cfg file???

NVM. Found it, lol.

Ok, i got lancers for england and france dont got em, but the unit card is a basic peasant default for england. How can i make it so england has the right unit card too???
    Last edited by Ishan; December 08, 2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: double post

See post#35 for that in the england folder you put the lancers cards from france.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

and i changed the faction name of the texture script in battle_models.modeldb from france to england
    That will only work if you also change the name of that texture file in the folder (see the path in the modeldb file) - otherwise you will get a silver skinned unit on the battle field. Or did you just change the faction name?