Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Terrain Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages + Icons / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 24th 2010

hip63's Avatar Give me some BASS!
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Farm Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages + Icons / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 21st 201

OK, the big thing is to prevent piracy, period

If you can pirate a 20+ gig game from one 1 megabyte of icons, I'll kiss you a$$, lol

hip63

Hilarion's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Farm Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages + Icons / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 21st 201

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Arun View Post
    Well, think about it this way: if a modder copies the "Elite units of the..." files and makes them avaliable for regular ETW owners to install and play with for free, is essentially breaking the law just like a person who steals stuff from the sequel game (be it only textures, not whole units) and makes it avaliable in a previous game without the end user having to purchase the sequel at all.
    The Elite Units packs were essentially commercial mods created by CA for ETW. The recognized agreement or credit as in the modder-product company relationship doesn't exist with the mod-mod relationship. CA's reaction is understandable: even unpaid modders don't want other modders using their work without that inherent credit. So you see, it's an entirely different situation than using material from NTW (a base game) for a ETW mod. You can also think about it in terms of competition. NTW material + ETW mod is not competition for CA because NTW and ETW are still two completely different base products (CA restricts modding to keep it this way), whereas the Elite Units packs were competing with user-created ETW mods to modify the same base game, and therefore needed to be protected.

Furthermore, what jarn is doing is not "theft," it is in fact commonly practiced by the TWC modding community. For example, take a look at these NTW mod threads:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=344105
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=337029

There are also several (hosted) M2TW mods which borrow content from the original MTW, particularly the character portraits.

In short: jarn, using NTW icons is perfectly acceptable, and there are no repercussions for you to be concerned about. Carry on with the fantastic work. I may gather up some rake portraits for you but unfortunately I have finals in a week and a half...
    Last edited by Hilarion; April 21, 2010 at 06:14 PM.

PM some admins for full support before you go ahead, mate. That way you'll be 100%ly safe.
    Last edited by Sir Arun; April 21, 2010 at 06:49 PM.

Patrician Artifex

I'm glad you understand my concerns. I'd also love to download your NTW icon mod, but rules are rules. If you look around, most other mods hosted on this site have added non CA owned textures/icons etc. from the net or created their own (retexturing units, modeling new units etc.) I don't think anyone so far has ported stuff from NTW to ETW, which is why you are treading new waters with this mod. Perhaps PM the site admins for some feedback?

Cheers,
    -Sir Arun
    no he's not:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=344846

hip63

♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔'s Avatar Wyrd biõ ful ãræd

Really great work mate. Just tried it out & it looks fantastic! +REP

Edit: As far as I can see all the changes work great apart from maps (only the normal game maps show) Any ideas?

I d/l the all in one pack.
    Last edited by ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔; April 23, 2010 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔ View Post
    Really great work mate. Just tried it out & it looks fantastic! +REP

Edit: As far as I can see all the changes work great apart from maps (only the normal game maps show) Any ideas?

I d/l the all in one pack.
    Map pack needs to be downloaded separately and added to script. I don't think he had time to upload updated complete package yet.

♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔'s Avatar Wyrd biõ ful ãræd

Ty sir !

Icon5 Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Farm Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages + Icons / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 21st 201

Hi mate, hope I'm not asking for much for WIP... Is there anyway you could help us to identify what are you updating as you go? Hard to figure out which part you have updated. Sorry if I'm too dense this morning.

I believe he hasn't released the latest version (the one that contains the reworked Europe map containing Mesopotamia and Iran) yet.

Icon14 Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Farm Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages + Icons / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 21st 201

I believe he hasn't released the latest version (the one that contains the reworked Europe map containing Mesopotamia and Iran) yet.
    Ah, OK. So, I'm not missing icons as well. Cheers.

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

As promised, the new update for this mod has now been released.

It includes these new features compared with the previous version:
    • New Terrain Map graphics
    • New Event Messages Icons
    • New Historical Minimaps
    • Napoleon to Empire Ship Icons & Info Pics
    • Napoleon to Empire Campaign Map & Battle UI pips

For screenshots and such, please check out the appropriate sections on the first page.

Download Links:

Grand Campaign Graphics Mod (Complete)

These are the download links to the updated sub-mods. If you've downloaded the file above, you don't need any of the files below.

Realistic City & Terrain Graphics Mod

Period Art Event Icons

Historical Minimaps Mod

Napoleon to Empire Ship Icons & Info Pics Mod

Napoleon to Empire Campaign & Battle UI Pips Mod

If you have old versions of the mod (or the submods) in your data folder, remove those files or let them be overwritten by these new files.

Comments, suggestions & criticism of this latest release is always appreciated.

Enjoy!

Oh, and by the way; as a little heads-up: for those of you who shorten my username, it's just my first and last name stuck together, so instead of 'jarn' it's 'jarno'. Feel free to adress me as such if you have anything you'd like to say!
    Last edited by jarnomiedema; April 24, 2010 at 11:56 AM.

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

Default Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Terrain Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages + Icons / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 24th

Once again, I can only congratulate you on your amazing work - on par, if not above CA itself! Currently trying out the historical minimaps now. I think the zoom in compatibility is about as good as it can get.

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Terrain Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages + Icons / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 24th

Excellent! Good job!

hip63

Once again its excellent Nice work

thank you!!!

One bug though: the in-game "load-game" menu shows the three vanilla theatre maps next to the list of saved games...

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

One bug though: the in-game "load-game" menu shows the three vanilla theatre maps next to the list of saved games...
    That's not really a bug as far as I can tell. If you saved the game before you had this mod installed, the savegame maps stick with the old look for some reason.

If you resave the game after installing the mod, the maps should be changed to their new look.

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

Icon14 Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Terrain Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages + Icons / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 24th

Looks good on my end. Was that save game any chance from before you used the mod? You need to start and save the game then they will show up properly.

However, is there any chance to update Gulleon icon? In any case A+. Campaign minimap camera works superb. Cheers mate!

Why CA didn't go for this kind of aesthetic, I'll never know.

This mod improves the game experience dramatically. Can't wait until all of the characters have classy portraits.

Keep up the good work.

Patrician Artifex

So any more updates coming this weekend?

hip63