Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Terrain Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages + Icons / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 24th 2010

Default Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Farm Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 13th 2010

Great work!!

Notker's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Farm Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 13th 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Arun View Post
    Speaking of french flags, why did CA give the French the modern flag in the custom skirmish battles? Since 90% of Empire: Total War's timeline is set within the rule of the Bourbons, it would only make sense to give them the standard monarchy flag instead.

Could somebody make a mod that changes the tricolore to the bourbon flag in skirmish land battles?
    I would prefer either the drapeau colonel or a drapeau d'ordonnace for the batallions/battleformations instead of the campaign lily flag, and i think its possible, because i saw some minutes ago on a screen of a mod such a flag. Must be a drapeau colonel (white cross on white flag with emblems, decorations, so you see there is a cross)
    For the Line Infantry regiments there exist normally two different kind of flags, one drapeau colonel for the first company of the regiment, the colour was mostly that white cross on white with different decorations (in the listed flag mod i saw in the screen such a flag, but i must first download and test it) but the common more known flags were the drapeau d'ordonnance. There you had from regiment to regiment different colours and nearly all the white-thick cross. Those flags are more common, because every batallion (not only one for the regiment) had have first three such flags, 1749 two, and finally 1776 only one.
    So a drapeau colonel would be ok, but also any colured nearly squared flag with a white thick cross, there you can search if you want a line regiment with 'its' fitting flag or an individual prefered sample.
    But again, i think its possible, i must test the flag mod .

Hm, its possible the most missing mod-tool is for the campaign map?

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

Replies
    Could somebody make a mod that changes the tricolore to the bourbon flag in skirmish land battles?
    Unfortunately, from what I can tell, it's impossible to specifically change the tricolore for the skirmish battles. If you want to play a late skirmish battle, you're stuck with the tricolore.. Not much that can be done about it. Since I'm a French Revolutionary fan, I don't really have a big problem with it..

Quote Originally Posted by Notker View Post
    Hm, its possible the most missing mod-tool is for the campaign map?
    A mod-tool to edit the campaign map is indeed one of the most requested tools for this game: imagine the possibilities if we had the ability to redraw the campaign map boundaries, if we could correct the look of the maps to be more detailed, etc. Unfortunately, what with the reluctance on the part of the Creative Assembly or SEGA to provide any information with regards to modding tools, that still seems like a long, long way off..

Historical Minimaps - Updated to V2! I've just uploaded a new version of the Historical Minimaps mod, which now includes the following (besides the previously released grand theater and trade theater maps): the full globe map view in the map selection field and the travel map for ships that transfer between theaters.

Theater travel map preview:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

After downloading, either replace the existing file or make sure it is loaded AFTER mod_grandcampaigngraphics in the Mod Manager.

You can download it from here:

MegaUpload is having some problems recently, so if the download doesn't work, please try again later or download it from MediaFire.

I've also updated the links in the fifth post.

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

Hilarion's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by jarnomiedema View Post
    Since I'm a French Revolutionary fan, I don't really have a big problem with it..
    What's this nonsense? I feel betrayed . Pistols at dawn, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Bolingbroke View Post
    What's this nonsense? I feel betrayed . Pistols at dawn, sir!

En Garde Monsieur! We all know those French monarchs had it coming..

By the way, here's another miniature project I've been working on the last hour or so:

These are the event message icons that pop up in the Grand Campaign.

From left to right, they are:
    • Army announcement
    • Building captured by friendly forces
    • Building captured by enemy forces
    • Death of a friendly general / admiral
    • Death of an enemy general / admiral
    • Reinforcements en route
    • Reinforcements delayed
    • Friendly forces route
    • Enemy forces route
    • Construction announcement
    • Character announcement (I couldn't resist)
    • New King / Queen / Heir announcement
    • Disaster announcement
    • Character Death announcement
    • Mission / Demands
    • Financial announcement
    • Naval announcement
    • News
    • Prestige announcement
    • Rebellion
    • Technological advance

En Garde Monsieur! We all know those French monarchs had it coming..

By the way, here's another miniature project I've been working on the last hour or so:
    So did those Revolutionary vermin. They got what they deserved with Robespierre and Napoleon.

Excellent work on those event message icons (you must be running out of things to change by now ). But I can't figure out the death of an enemy general and friends/enemies rout pictures. Do you mind sharing what paintings they're from?

I can't figure out the death of an enemy general and friends/enemies rout pictures. Do you mind sharing what paintings they're from?
    Ofcourse! No problem at all..

Death of an enemy general is from "Lord Howe on the Deck of the Queen Charlotte" by Mather Brown.

Friendly forces rout is from "Death of Major Peirson" by John Singleton Copley.

Enemy forces rout (as well as Friendly forces capture building) are from "Storming of the breach by Prussian troops during the Battle of Leuthen" by Carl Röchling.

intrepid's Avatar Civis
    where I live? I donīt really live, I dream.

Default Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Farm Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 19th 2010

AWESOME!!! +++rep!!!

An idea, could you bring to Empire from NTW the icons of the naval units? In my view, they looks a lot better than the empire ones.

Default Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Farm Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 19th 2010

jarnomiedema, the only problem I notice now is that especilly in the Europe map, if you zoom in and scroll around, your position on the minimap is completely off. I think this can be fixed if you add more to the bottom of the Euope map, thus increasing its height so that it evens out. Since most of the southern Europe map is the Sahara desert anyways, the only texture editing you'd have to do is draw the outlines of the African continent further south and copy paste the "old map look" texture (from the Moscow region in Russia, for example) to fill in the Sahara portion - you can leave the ocean white. The E:TW minimap frame, due to its oval shape, will anyway obscure the edges.

jarnomiedema,

This may be outside the scope of your mod but have you looked into trying to apply the "four seasons" to ETW, like in NTW? So we have four turns per year, one for each season? That would also require tweaking some battlefield textures but thought I'd ask.

Also, is it possible to add in the battle history markers. Where you have the crossed swords indicating where an important battle happened? I miss that from M2TW and like seeing in NTW. Great mod by the way.

NTW Ship Icons
    Quote Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
    An idea, could you bring to Empire from NTW the icons of the naval units? In my view, they looks a lot better than the empire ones.
    Thanks for that suggestion! I had completely overlooked the naval icons, but you're absolutely right: they're a million times better in NTW than they are in ETW.

I've ported them, and here are the results:

Also, I've created new custom icons and info pics for the ships that were not included in Napoleon:

Reworking European Campaign Map
    jarnomiedema, the only problem I notice now is that especilly in the Europe map, if you zoom in and scroll around, your position on the minimap is completely off. I think this can be fixed if you add more to the bottom of the Euope map, thus increasing its height so that it evens out. Since most of the southern Europe map is the Sahara desert anyways, the only texture editing you'd have to do is draw the outlines of the African continent further south and copy paste the "old map look" texture (from the Moscow region in Russia, for example) to fill in the Sahara portion - you can leave the ocean white. The E:TW minimap frame, due to its oval shape, will anyway obscure the edges.
    Yeah, the Europe part of the campaign map was bothering me too. I don't navigate the map using the minimap, but I understand it can be confusing if you click one place and it takes you somewhere else. Furthermore, I wasn't entirely happy with leaving out a part of the map that was part of the original game.

So, with a bit of experimenting and the combining of the old map of Europe and a new discovery of a highly detailed map of the Middle East, this is the result:

And here's the new map of Europe in the smaller screens:

Adding Seasons and Battle Markers?
    Quote Originally Posted by ♔Dignan♔ View Post
    jarnomiedema,

This may be outside the scope of your mod but have you looked into trying to apply the "four seasons" to ETW, like in NTW? So we have four turns per year, one for each season? That would also require tweaking some battlefield textures but thought I'd ask.
    I did look into that, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way to do it without modding tools.. There are several aspects from the NTW campaign map that I'd love to see ported to ETW, such as the mood lighting changing with the seasons, the fog that's on the map and ofcourse the colour changes in the trees..

As it stands right now, those things are impossible to implement in ETW..

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Dignan♔ View Post
    Also, is it possible to add in the battle history markers. Where you have the crossed swords indicating where an important battle happened? I miss that from M2TW and like seeing in NTW. Great mod by the way.
    Well, the crossed swords icon is still in the source files, so they should pop up every now and then I suppose. I'm not sure with what regularity they do (if they do so at all), but they should.. If they aren't popping up at the moment, I don't think I can fix that, because it sounds more like a coding problem than a graphical problem.. and I suck at solving coding problems..

Release info At the moment, I'm hard at work trying to finish as much as possible to make sure it can be included with the latest release of the DarthMod Ultimate Commander Edition, but I hope to have all the things you've seen around here the past week / last few days uploaded by the end of the week, so you can enjoy them over the weekend..

This new release will include the following:
    • Darker, more detailed campaign map texture (as seen here)
    • Event Icons (as seen here)
    • Reworked European Minimap
    • NTW Ship Icons
    • Additional Character Icons (most likely)

So stay tuned and check back around Friday!

Default Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Farm Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages + Icons / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 21st 201

Progress is looking good. Thanks for looking into our questions.

hip63's Avatar Give me some BASS!
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Farm Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages + Icons / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 21st 201

STOP IT! You're making the DMUC growl in hunger!

Awesome stuff man!

The DMUC is still deep in beta testing so the release may be delayed so you may have some extra time.

hip63

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Can you add natural disasters.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

intrepid's Avatar Civis
    where I live? I donīt really live, I dream.

NTW Ship Icons

Thanks for that suggestion! I had completely overlooked the naval icons, but you're absolutely right: they're a million times better in NTW than they are in ETW.

I've ported them, and here are the results:

Also, I've created new custom icons and info pics for the ships that were not included in Napoleon:

So stay tuned and check back around Friday! [/FIELDSET2]

Yeahhh!!! You have done it, thanks!

Another idea, could you improve the UI icons showed in the battlemap? Now I have the icons that someone did some time ago in order to replace the vanilla ones BUT I think that you can made it better than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    Can you add natural disasters.
    No, that is not in the game at all and not in NTW either. Aparently such a feature was planned by The Creative Assembly, because there are event pictures for volcano eruptions and floods, but since they're not in the game files in any other way, they're impossible to implement by a modder like me..

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
    Another idea, could you improve the UI icons showed in the battlemap? Now I have the icons that someone did some time ago in order to replace the vanilla ones BUT I think that you can made it better than him.

Haha, already done my friend.. I've ported a few of the NTW unit icons into ETW; with a much clearer result.

I might post a screenshot of what it looks like later on (I'm not behind my own PC at the moment).

Attention: copy pasting copyrighted content from another retail product of the Creative Assembly (in this case Napoleon Total War) is theft. I think you'd get into trouble if you ripped content off N:TW and implemented it into E:TW, so please make sure you're operating within legal boundaries there.

As for your "fixed" European map - just brilliant! I can't wait to download it this weekend (as you promised :-)) and test it.

Attention: copy pasting copyrighted content from another retail product of the Creative Assembly (in this case Napoleon Total War) is theft. I think you'd get into trouble if you ripped content off N:TW and implemented it into E:TW, so please make sure you're operating within legal boundaries there.
    This is just senseless. NTW and ETW are both products of CA, and individual material (such as ship icons) is owned by the company not the product. I hope it's not necessary to explain the legality of modding itself.

Unless you can supply a verifiable source, I call BS.

Well, think about it this way: if a modder copies the "Elite units of the..." files and makes them avaliable for regular ETW owners to install and play with for free, is essentially breaking the law just like a person who steals stuff from the sequel game (be it only textures, not whole units) and makes it avaliable in a previous game without the end user having to purchase the sequel at all.

I'm not 100% sure if this is backed up by facts or not, but I've heard many cases where modders were banned from sites for taking content off other games rather than creating their own or modifying content of the target game only, which is why I'm just calling for carefulness.

This is just senseless. NTW and ETW are both products of CA, and individual material (such as ship icons) is owned by the company not the product. I hope it's not necessary to explain the legality of modding itself.
    Well, think about it this way: if a modder copies the "Elite units of the..." files and makes them avaliable for regular ETW owners to install and play with for free, is essentially breaking the law just like a person who steals stuff from the sequel game (be it only textures, not whole units) and makes it avaliable in a previous game without the end user having to purchase the sequel at all.

I'm not 100% sure if this is backed up by facts or not, but I've heard many cases where modders were banned from sites for taking content off other games rather than creating their own or modifying content of the target game only, which is why I'm just calling for carefulness.
    Well, I can see both sides of the argument here..

It is indeed a very tricky situation. NTW's graphics are quite a bit better than those of ETW. It'd be a shame not to utilize those resources to make ETW look slightly better as well. I'm unsure to what extent this would be breaking the rules of the user agreement or the rules of the TWCenter (if anyone here knows more, please fill me in on that)..

I've also been active in the modding community for Civilization IV and I must say that Firaxis' approach to modding is miles off from CA's approach to modding. Firaxis encourages modders to work with their products, rather than discouraging it. For instance: when CivIV: Colonization was released, several new leaderheads were included. When those new leaderheads were subsequently used, modified and ported to the original CivIV, problems were anticipated, but Firaxis approved of it. The Creative Assembly might indeed react differently..

As far as I can see, there are several ways out of this problem:
    • I keep the icons to myself and people will be dissapointed.
    • I release the icons and potentially expose myself to problems.
    • I don't release the icons, but make a tutorial on how to import them yourself (this will undoubtedly scare off 'casual' modders).
    • I modify the looks of the icons / info pics ever so slightly so that they're no longer technically the original work and release that instead.

Most of those solutions are unsatisfactory. Just to be perfectly clear: I'm not making any money off this; I'm only doing this because I like the Total War series and feel that Empire:TW is getting a bad rep. With a little bit of polish, it might do just a little to make people interested in it again. Since I'm not trying to port any major innovations from NTW to ETW and am instead sticking with minor graphical improvements, I don't think it'll be a huge problem, but I'd like to get some word about this from someone before I decide to release this..

This stuff is very tricky and very tiresome indeed..