Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Terrain Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages + Icons / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 24th 2010

Default Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Farm Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 5th 2010

Sultan Mahmud I (Ottoman Empire)

Another one:

Here's a great page with lots of Ottoman ruler portraits:

http://www.izafet.com/osmanli-tarihi...ortreleri.html

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    -Silver
    Last edited by Sir Arun; April 13, 2010 at 07:32 PM.

hip63's Avatar Give me some BASS!
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Farm Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 13th 2010

oh yeah, jarn's bound to love that

hip63

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

Default Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Farm Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 5th 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Arun View Post
    Here's a great page with lots of Ottoman ruler portraits:

http://www.izafet.com/osmanli-tarihi...ortreleri.html
    Wow.. That's absolutely fantastic! Definite +rep from me. This is definitely a great resource to use when I get started on the Ottoman / Arabic portraits!

New Preview Just thought I'd share this with you guys as well: for the past hour or so I've been working on this little thing. It fits the new campaign maps and is in fact the screen that you see whenever you send a ship into a new part of the grand campaign map.

This is still a work in progress though. Unfortunately it's impossible to give each individual trade theater a seperate button graphic, so I replaced it with a generic one of a sailing ship.

Also, I had a good laugh out of the word that is plastered on the background map just above the Ivory Coast trade theater. I guess they hadn't heard of political correctness back in 1747!

I'm probably going to remove it from the final version though, because it's pretty offensive. Neverthelss, I still couldn't help but laugh at it..

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

One question though: Large parts of mesopotamia, Iran, Egypt and Baluchistan are "invisible" in this map. Is there any way to display those lands, too? (could you just copy them from the world map in the background and seamlessly fit them into the Europe map?)

Quote Originally Posted by jarnomiedema View Post
    Reply Also, I had a good laugh out of the word that is plastered on the background map just above the Ivory Coast trade theater. I guess they hadn't heard of political correctness back in 1747!

I'm probably going to remove it from the final version though, because it's pretty offensive. Neverthelss, I still couldn't help but laugh at it..
    Chill dude...it's your mod. It's not like you're selling this and besides, whoever plays a historically accurate game that is set in the 18th century cannot possibly walk into it as a 21st century pacifist, commanding thousands of men shooting each other to a bloody pulp and enjoying the whole show and then get offended by a single word on a map, eh?
    Last edited by Sir Arun; April 15, 2010 at 01:10 PM.

TheJian's Avatar Miles

Chill dude...it's your mod. It's not like you're selling this and besides, whoever plays a historically accurate game that is set in the 18th century cannot possibly walk into it as a 21st century pacifist, commanding thousands of men shooting each other to a bloody pulp and enjoying the whole show and then get offended by a single word on a map, eh?
    Why not? It's why in HOI3 you cant see something. I think its commendable you even think about such things jarnomiedema Do your best, that's what make this such a good mod. This is not a historically accurate game, very far from it. Perhaps he is one of them who really learns from history, not to many of them around. Its like in Warpath CA used a name that the whiteman back them called females Native Amrecians. Funny no one would even say something about the Jews, and rightly so. This word has no place in a game IMO...............When you pass on the stereotyped thinking of the past, you become a participant atrocity, and you can say thing like this "offended by a single word on a map, eh?" its said when a single word does not come to your attention. They have a word 4 a personality, who shows an abnormal lack of empathy... It will come 2 me. Im so happy you are thinking of things like this.(but do what you can) you dont see that around here much at all. .............lol edit . I digress.
    Last edited by TheJian; April 15, 2010 at 06:43 AM.
    Boys want quantity, while men seek quality.
    Mere external facts cannot serve as a ground of reasoning.
    What we are able to learn is greatly dependent upon what we already know. Different people with different amounts of information will UNDERSTAND different.
    "That until you understand white supremacy everything else will confuse you" ~Neely Fuller~
    There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in ever lasting ignorance. This principle is contempt prior to examination.
    They came before Columbus - Dr Ivan Van Sertima

Quote Originally Posted by TheJian View Post
    This word has no place in a game IMO...............When you pass on the stereotyped thinking of the past, you become a participant atrocity
    Yeah let's censor everything and pretend history should only be accurately represented in school books and nowhere else and take offence at a spanish word that originally (and to this day) means "black", while we enjoy the virtual bloodbath that hundreds of historic soldiers are comitting in a computer game because hey - it's just violence, not racism. That is called hypocrisy. Either oppose all representation of things that are morally wrong (racism, violence, theft, adultery etc.) in video games - or allow them all to be displayed in a neutral manner. But deciding for some and opposing others doesn't make sense.

Thus I disagree with your above statement because otherwise, according to you, I would now be a racist and you (including all who play this game) warmongerers.
    Last edited by Sir Arun; April 15, 2010 at 10:46 AM.

Hilarion's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Grand Campaign Graphics Overhaul - Historical City & Farm Graphics / Historical Minimaps / Period Art Event Messages / Ancillary Graphics / Loading Screens (released) + Period Art Character Graphics (WIP) - Last Update: April 13th 2010

I agree with Sir Arun. Why rewrite history to conform to the paranoid political correctness of modern society? It's a travesty. History is not something to be manipulated, otherwise it devolves into fiction. Of course many scholars and court historians in the past have been guilty of this, but I see no substantial reason to continue that reprehensible tradition other than to appease the belligerent few who are as ignorant about the meaning of history as a walrus.

Naturally it is up to jarn to make the decision as it is his mod, but I don't think that something so minor is the basis for concern or debate (...oops too late ).
    Last edited by Hilarion; April 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM.

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

110% agree with Sir Arun & Viscount Bolingbroke - what do we do next scrap all black or white cars in case they offend, of the poster who claims offence is that concerned he can always MOD something himself
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Quick note on minimap. First of all this looks absolutely fantastic. Rep+1 again my friend. However I have noticed that camera will not be on the spot that I click on minimap. Something is off. Not sure if it is possible to fix. Cheers. Ah, is travel destinations included with map pack?

ODaly's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by F@32 View Post
    Quick note on minimap. First of all this looks absolutely fantastic. Rep+1 again my friend. However I have noticed that camera will not be on the spot that I click on minimap. Something is off. Not sure if it is possible to fix.
    It's not fixable because it's not really a bug. What makes the old-style map what it is, is that it's not a true representation of actual geography, but of the perceived geography of Europe. The to-scale locations within the minimap window are linked to locations on the campaign map, and unless the campaign map was to be changed from actual to perceived geography, there will be a discrepancy between the two.

Edit: Fantastic work with the new world map, jarn!
    Last edited by ODaly; April 15, 2010 at 08:13 PM.

APE:TI Morale Officer
    2nd Dan Search-Fu Artist

TheJian's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Bolingbroke View Post
    History is not something to be manipulated, otherwise it devolves into fiction. Of course many scholars and court historians in the past have been guilty of this, but I see no substantial reason to continue that reprehensible tradition other than to appease the belligerent few who are as ignorant about the meaning of history as a walrus.

Naturally it is up to jarn to make the decision as it is his mod, but I don't think that something so minor is the basis for concern or debate (...oops too late ).
    LOL so true i dont know what your talking about but true..... We are talking about a word not history, Im cool with the word myself. I just think its cool he even thinks about it.... And in my post i was talking about the word Squaw had no place in the game...

So true only sick people would turn History around 2 make themself look better.
    Last edited by TheJian; April 16, 2010 at 05:47 AM.
    Boys want quantity, while men seek quality.
    Mere external facts cannot serve as a ground of reasoning.
    What we are able to learn is greatly dependent upon what we already know. Different people with different amounts of information will UNDERSTAND different.
    "That until you understand white supremacy everything else will confuse you" ~Neely Fuller~
    There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in ever lasting ignorance. This principle is contempt prior to examination.
    They came before Columbus - Dr Ivan Van Sertima

Squaw?

One question though: Large parts of mesopotamia, Iran, Egypt and Baluchistan are "invisible" in this map. Is there any way to display those lands, too? (could you just copy them from the world map in the background and seamlessly fit them into the Europe map?)
    Here's a picture of the world map that's included in the background:

And here's a link to the original image I used (you can zoom in on it by clicking the thumbnail): http://www.swaen.com/item.php?id=5855

As you can see, the size and shape of Europe, America and India are all somewhat different from the maps that I used to base the campaign maps on. The map of Europe that I used for the campaign map replacement didn't include Mesopotamia or Northern Africa and combining the two maps doesn't really lead to anything that looks good unfortunately.. So a full reintegration of those regions into the map is not going to work. The only way I suppose we can explain this discrepancy away is by saying that the 'zoom' effect has obscured those regions..

Im so happy you are thinking of things like this.(but do what you can) you dont see that around here much at all.
    You're welcome. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't displayed prominently above one of the trade theaters. While it is in the actual historical map (as you can see in the zoomed in version of that link I provided above), I'm not entirely comfortable with having it in my own map.

I agree with Sir Arun. Why rewrite history to conform to the paranoid political correctness of modern society? It's a travesty. History is not something to be manipulated, otherwise it devolves into fiction. Of course many scholars and court historians in the past have been guilty of this, but I see no substantial reason to continue that reprehensible tradition other than to appease the belligerent few who are as ignorant about the meaning of history as a walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by hammeredalways View Post
    110% agree with Sir Arun & Viscount Bolingbroke - what do we do next scrap all black or white cars in case they offend, of the poster who claims offence is that concerned he can always MOD something himself
    Haha, too late indeed.. Funny how this debate has sparked more posts than most of my previous updates.. In any case, I completely agree with you on the dangers of rewriting history. I used to study History & American Studies at the University of Amsterdam (and am now attending the teacher's academy to learn how to teach history to high school kids), so I know a thing or two about how history was falsified in the past..

However, since this map isn't used as an illustration of map making in the 18th century, but merely as an atmosphere element in a game 'based on history', I believe it's ok to make the adjustment to make sure as many people feel comfortable with this mod as possible. If it was a serious historical study it would indeed be a total breach of historical principles to remove it, but since this isn't, I think I'll get rid of it..

Quote Originally Posted by F@32 View Post
    Quick note on minimap. First of all this looks absolutely fantastic. Rep+1 again my friend. However I have noticed that camera will not be on the spot that I click on minimap. Something is off. Not sure if it is possible to fix. Cheers. Ah, is travel destinations included with map pack?
    Quote Originally Posted by ODaly View Post
    It's not fixable because it's not really a bug. What makes the old-style map what it is, is that it's not a true representation of actual geography, but of the perceived geography of Europe. The to-scale locations within the minimap window are linked to locations on the campaign map, and unless the campaign map was to be changed from actual to perceived geography, there will be a discrepancy between the two.
    ODaly is right, F@32: the map that I used didn't include the North African and Mesopotamian areas, so unfortunately the campaign map doesn't quite link up with the regions in question when you navigate with the map itself. It's an unfortunate consequence of the map I chose (there are in fact very few maps of Europe from this period which include those regions, since they were not generally perceived to be a part of Europe itself I suppose).

However, when you're in the tax screen or the diplomatic screen and you click on one of the regions, it does link to the correct spot on the map, because the regions themselves are 'color coded' and I made sure the right colors referred to the regions that they referred to in the original map coloring.

And in my post i was talking about the word Squaw had no place in the game..
    Squaw?
    Just to clarify Sir Arun, in an earlier post TheJian said the following:

Its like in Warpath CA used a name that the whiteman back them called females Native Amrecians.
    Well, that was an extensive post to say the least.. Glad it has sparked some debate..

Oh, and thank you all for the kind words! As I've said before: they're much appreciated!

Thanks for the explainations, jarnomiedema. When will the final version (the one that also includes the zoomed out world map) be released?

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

Hi jarnomiedema - first off excellent work and we are also discussing (off-line) it looks really good lets hope future discussions will centre on the great work you are doing and not get sidetracked, after all there are forums for such debates
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Quote Originally Posted by jarnomiedema View Post
    Haha, too late indeed.. Funny how this debate has sparked more posts than most of my previous updates.. In any case, I completely agree with you on the dangers of rewriting history. I used to study History & American Studies at the University of Amsterdam (and am now attending the teacher's academy to learn how to teach history to high school kids), so I know a thing or two about how history was falsified in the past..
    Would you consider moving to the United States and teaching at my school? I'm sure you'd do a better job than the history teachers I've had, who generally bias everything they can and falsify everything they can't. Mispronunciations too: if I hear L'état, c'est moi pronounced in the "American" fashion one more time, I will slam my head through a desk.

I'll have the rake/missionary portraits to you by the end of tomorrow or Sunday.

Alright, here are 24 missionary portraits, taken mostly from Wikipedia (you might already have quite a few of them in your collection). All of them are 18th century religious figures, give or take a decade. The first four are in PNG format but the rest are JPG.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Andrzej Zauski:

Ignacy Massalski:

Kajetan Sotyk:

Louis-Antoine, Cardinal de Noailles:

Adam Stanisaw Krasiski:

Branschi Onesti:

Cardinal Etienne Rene Potier:

Cardinal Domenico Pignatellidi Belmont:

Cardinal Rohan:

Charles-Nicolas-Alexandre d'Oultremon:

Clement XI:

Franois-Antoine de Man:

Henry Benedict Stuart, Cardinal of York:

Heinrich von Bibra:

Jacques Bnigne Bossuet:

Jean Baptiste Joseph Gobel:

Jean-Olivier Briand:

Pietro Ottoboni:

Cardinal Rochechouart:

Richard Challoner:

Francesco Saverio Zelada:

Ritratto di Henry Benedict Marie:

Silvio Valenti:

Teodor Kazimierz Czartoryski:

Notker's Avatar Libertus

Great mod, but one aspect i dont understand, it seems you using for whole 18ct France the Tricolore of the Revolution? Or only after some 'development'?
    The National French Flag until 1789 and 1814/15 1815-30 was the Drapeau Blanc (sure a bit boring, a pure white flag ) and the flag of the royal family the Pavillon Royal, the white flag with golden lilies.

Anyway i downloaded and will test it. The maps, also other graphics will present fine mood.

Fantastic work as usual VB! As you said, I have quite a few of them already, but you still managed to dig up a few I missed.. Two pair of eyes see more than one!

Quote Originally Posted by Notker View Post
    Great mod, but one aspect i dont understand, it seems you using for whole 18ct France the Tricolore of the Revolution? Or only after some 'development'?
    Haha, don't worry.. There is no flag mod included in the larger mod. Those screenshots where you see the French tricolore waving over much of the European continent is from one of my older savegames, where I had Louis XIV deposed and decapitated very early on in the game and subsequently conquered much of Europe in a wave of "Liberté, Egalité et Fraternité"..

Speaking of french flags, why did CA give the French the modern flag in the custom skirmish battles? Since 90% of Empire: Total War's timeline is set within the rule of the Bourbons, it would only make sense to give them the standard monarchy flag instead.

Could somebody make a mod that changes the tricolore to the bourbon flag in skirmish land battles?