Thread: Question: battles resolved at the end of the turn

Default Question: battles resolved at the end of the turn

Hello!
    I've recently installed Shogun - Total war and played it a little. I have noticed that battles take place at the end of the turn, after all clans have moved. So, it appears that when I invade a region, the enemy can move reinforcements to that region before the battle takes place. On the countrary, I can't do the same when an enemy attacks me, because the battle takes place before my turn.
    My question is: do enemies actually have the option to see my moves and react to my attacks before the battle takes place? Or do they make their moves before the player, and when the end turn button is pushed the game simply shows moves that were already decided?
    I ask this because in the former situation the human player would be at a disadvantage since he always moves first and he can't react to enemy attacks. In my game it always happened that when I attacked a weakly defended region a lot of enemy reinforcement came before the battle took place, while I obviously couldn't do the same when enemies attacked me. I wonder if this was just a coincidence or if the AI actually saw my attack and reacted to it, which would be somewhat annoying.
    I hope this is the right forum section for the question. Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Question: battles resolved at the end of the turn

A good question, donīt know it exactly but I have seen the other version also. The AI reduced their troops in provinces I was attacking. So I guess it would have done this moves anyway. But as said before Iīm not sure on this.

But it seems normal that they send additional troops to the border provinces. Deep in their territories is no need for strong forces. So it could be new trained troops sent to the place were every wise ruler needs them - on the border to neighbouring factions.

Welcome to the forums, Idorrac.

As a matter of fact, the AI in both STW & MTW does have the ability to reinforce a province that's about to be attacked by the human-controlled faction (assuming, of course, that there are troops available in adjacent provinces). It's the one overt "cheat" that the AI receives on all difficulty levels.
    Last edited by Martok; March 23, 2010 at 03:57 AM. Reason: gah
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Delta21's Avatar Semisalis

It always works like this...I wished sometimes RTW campaigns were real-time instead of turn-based so nobody would be put at an advantage...the Shogun battle system is quite fair, as much as turn-based systems could be.The thing about turn-by turn games is to think a few turns ahead(2-3 is sufficient usually), and immediate misfortunes can be balanced by planning the future.
    I have to agree though, the "forced battles" in Shogun total war seem hardly fair .
    Last edited by Delta21; March 22, 2010 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta21 View Post
    I have to agree though, the "forced battles" in Shogun total war seem hardly fair .
    What "forced battles" are your referring to? And how are they unfair?

Delta21's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    What "forced battles" are your referring to? And how are they unfair?
    The ones that you had to fight without getting the chance to receiving proper backup, like the AI did.

Interesting, didnīt know that. But it seems not an annoying cheat, instead it is rather some support for the AI. Unfair would be if there are troops popping up randomly. But so you only have to think about nearby troops in neighbouring provinces.

Exactly. I don't have a particular problem with it, as it allows the AI to better match the player. Really, it just increases the odds that I'll get to fight a challenging battle....and that's no bad thing.

Well if you attemt to move a army 2 provencies across it'l move automaticly at the end of everyones turn so you can pull the same trick on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    I love slavery

Thank you for the answers. It is a bit of a pity, I always prefer to have the option to choose wether the AI can cheat or not. Anyway, I find the game is still very enjoyable, since it makes the game a little more challenging, as already said.