Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Scipio/Vetus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Scipio/Vetus

So, what has happened to my beloved Republic after all these years?

The oak doors swung open and an old man hobbled across its threshold on his walking stick. At first a few of the younger senators looked at him in disdain but shrank back when he glared at them with his piercing grey eyes that they had seen but months ago. He reached over to the scribe and looked over the notes of the proceedings before speaking.

I see we are at war now, with Macedon, the Gauls, and Carthage as well. Well, Carthage had been well smashed, thanks to you, Censor now? Lepidus? I had expected that much from you. And yes, it does seem that our consul has been adequately handling the situation in Greece. But where is Scipio? Have we heard of anything from him? And where is my son? Where is Pallas? His name was on the previous year's magistracies, yet I do not see his face among you.

His aged yet sharp grey eyes looked into each man's, searching their faces for lies. Try as they might, their lies could not be hidden from him. Turnus Rutulus Saevus had returned to Rome after almost thirty years of self-exile on Capreae.

ooc: He's back

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Rufus stood up near the centre of the Curia.
    “I'm sure our dear Praetor could speak about that! Couldn't you, Lurco? Or would you like us all to forget, how one day the man who should uphold Law denied another's right to live – another, someone who had held up the Law as no one else had ever done so?”
    Rufus' fists were clenched, his knuckles white, but his face was gaining colour rapidly.

“Say it, Lucro! Or you are too weak to admit your guilt to the father of a great man, a true Roman?! How much of a man are you, I wonder? It was easy, I daresay, to attack someone, when he could not defend himself, it was easy, to deal with him, when you had the power to do so! You called him a murderer! Yet what are you? You accused him for ‘stepping beyond the limits his office allowed him’, for deciding over the fates of men illegally. And yet what have you done? Did the tribunal you set up, in a fine show to make the people think you’re a fair and good man, find him guilty of all the charges brought up against him? No! Yet you have given the highest punishment available.
    Senators of Rome, Pallas Rutulus Aventinus is DEAD! And his murderer? He sits – in – that – chair.”
    Rufus finished, pointing a finger at the Praetor, offering a seat next to himself for Saevus.
    Last edited by Elendil of Númenor; March 29, 2010 at 03:29 PM.

Gallus sighed.

"Gentlemen, if any of us wish to accuse one another of a crime then prosecute and bring it to the basilica. As of the moment we must discuss the situation at hand. I agree with Senator Turnus actually in the fact that we have not heard from Scipio and that it is time we do."

Gallus sat.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

OOC: That was... anti-climatic...

The Tribune is right. Also, the fate of Spain remains undecided.

So, my son is dead. And the the grand architect of his death is in front of me.

Turnus took a step forward.

Lurco, is it? It has been thirty years since I last stepped in this City, shut away in my own self-imposed exile on Capreae. I had left a city that was replete with corruption, liars, and politicians whose main aim was not at the furthering of our own great Republic but for themselves. I had seen consuls who threatened to abandon their posts as generals, quaestors who embezzled the public fund, tribunes who used their sacrosanctity as a shield for extortion. I had left this City thirty years ago for self-reflection and to discover whether or not we could ever be the symbol of virtue that we were supposed to be in this world.

It appears not. Perhaps Senator Merula, if he's done chasing the young women he's so fond of, can explain to me just how this city still remain a cesspool of political machination and disorder?

Several senators looked away awkwardly upon the mentioning of the dead man's name. Turnus casted his gaze on the empty chair that Merula had once sat upon.

Where has he gone? The man was five years my junior. He could not have passed away so early, not with his rigorous bouts with girls barely out of their teens.

As for Spain, what news is there? If Scipio is done in the North, then we send him to Spain. It's as simple as that. Mired in useless debates about land reforms again, you Plebeians never change, never see past the length of your own noses. War is upon us, and you clamor for lands to farm when you should be taking up your swords to defend the Republic, lest those lands pass from your ownership to a foreign master.
    Last edited by chaplain118; March 29, 2010 at 04:12 PM.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Aurelius stands

Senator Rutulus, this Curia is not a sounding board for your personal woes. I suggest you keep such moaning for the Rostra.

Now, are there ANY that would stand for the governorship in Hispania? Speak up now!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

And I suggest YOU show respect to your elders. You may hold the office of Censor, Lepidus, but my opinion, by matter of age and experience, far outweighs yours. Pay no attention to my personal vows, but do know that I still offer words of guidance on the Republic.

Now, since no one else seems intent on moving business alone, I propose the following:

Lex Rutula de Bello Iberico
    I. Consul Scipio is to present a military report on the situation in the North.
    II. If the situation is deemed acceptable by the Senate, the consul is to move his operation to Spain
    III. He shall have authority to levy troops of local quality, including mercenaries, to augment his forces.
    IV. He shall provide the Senate with monthly reports of his campaign to pacify the region.
    V. Any failure to adhere to this law upon passing by the consul will merit an instant recall to Rome.

Crusades

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I can only agree, we must know of Scipio, he is not to far enough as to not know where he is. As for Governor of Spain, I would do so myself was I not held to the position of Quaestor, but i remind you that Lentulus has already agreed to nominate himself as governor of spain.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Of course, senator, I give deference to your age. I simply mean to move things along.

I will, of course, ascribe to your reclusive, hermit-like tendencies your lack of knowledge on the present situation. The Consul Scipio was given his orders from the Senate on two separate occasions, and has reported in the past with good news on his campaign. I am sure that he will present a report soon, but requiring an arbitrary deadline will not speed the matter up. If you are concerned, I suggest you send a messenger to his camp; I know for a fact that he has received no correspondence from the Senate, which is most unusual for any campaigning general.

As to Spain, we have agreed to appoint a governor, and are only waiting on candidates.

ooc: Reports slow down when the save is passed more. Thats just the way it works.

OOC:

I'm the only candidate so far?
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: Yes, and if no one steps up you'll be the governor for sure. We will pretend that you have been Praetor in the past and you'll be sent with Propraetorian authority.

"Time is not a luxury we have at the moment. I move to hold the immediate vote for the Governor of Hispania if the Praetor would be so kind to do this deed."
    Last edited by Celsius; March 30, 2010 at 11:15 AM.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: The term is rapidly drawing to a close; for the sake of time, we'll assume Dragoon is appointed governor of Hispania unless anyone objects. Do so in the ooc thread, if you must.

OOC: Seeing as nobody did this and we're running out of time.

"Senators!" Rufus looked worn, but graceful enough. "Consul Scipio has fallen ill. This is bad news as it is, but considering that it happened in the middle of campaign, it is even worse. We cannot let the war against the Northern Gauls delay because of this. I propose that a suffectus commander be appointed until the Consul recovers. Can we agree on that? Furthermore, we would have to make our choice - who would be made suffectus? Senators, may I humbly propose myself - I feel I have sufficient military experience for this task. If you have no objections, of course.
    Whatever the case, I urge you to be quick in your decision; we need to finish before the campaign season is over and winter arrives."

If Senator Rufus is so adamant in aiding the consul and we have no other man to fill the position, then I see no reason to not let him go.

Crusades

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Elections are opening in a very short time (today), I suggest we simply elect a new consul to fill Scipio's place.