Thread: Lawson's Company, Royal Artillery

Default Lawson's Company, Royal Artillery

Having learnt of an ancestor (my GGM's GF!) who served as a gunner in this company throughout the campaign, I would be interested to know if the three diaries that are noted as surviving have been transcribed and if so how can I get to read them ?

This from wiki
    Lawson's Company holds the unique record of having been the only Royal Artillery unit to serve throughout the entire Peninsular War, from 1808 until 1814. During those years it experienced a good deal of hard marching and fighting in a campaign which perhaps, beyond all others, saw the Field Artillery established on a proper footing. At least three diaries of unit officers covering this period have survived until the present day, that of Captain Lawson himself (although only fragments of the text survive), that of Lieutenant Ingilby and finally that of Captain Johnson (still in the hands of his family).

I would be most grateful for any ideas. Thanks in advance.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Default Re: Lawson's Company, Royal Artillery

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbowers View Post
    Having learnt of an ancestor (my GGM's GF!) who served as a gunner in this company throughout the campaign, I would be interested to know if the three diaries that are noted as surviving have been transcribed and if so how can I get to read them ?

This from wiki
    Lawson's Company holds the unique record of having been the only Royal Artillery unit to serve throughout the entire Peninsular War, from 1808 until 1814. During those years it experienced a good deal of hard marching and fighting in a campaign which perhaps, beyond all others, saw the Field Artillery established on a proper footing. At least three diaries of unit officers covering this period have survived until the present day, that of Captain Lawson himself (although only fragments of the text survive), that of Lieutenant Ingilby and finally that of Captain Johnson (still in the hands of his family).

I would be most grateful for any ideas. Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to the forum sir, you must be proud of your ancestor! I dont know of a "transcripts" only references to Lawsons Company....

Here

The history of British Artillery interests me too, since I served in the 3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery myself.

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"