Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with steam....help please

Default problem with steam....help please

when i try to open TGW a window pops up and says that it cannot find steam. if anyone has any info on how i can fix this thatd be awesome.

thanks

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: problem with steam....help please

Sorry, can't help you there. I know nothing about how steam works with Rome: Total War. Selucos may not be able to help you either, but I think what you described might be a common problem with mods and steam. Do you have any other mods that work with steam? It might be wise to check on the froums of other mods to see if anyone else has the same issue.

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

Hi. I remember someone else in the past asking about a similar Steam problem, but I have not been able to find the relevant posts. This appears to be an issue for all mods when RTW runs through Steam, so I imagine there's some non-mod-specific technical support thread for this. Sadly, I don't operate my RTW through Steam, so I'm not sure what to change to make it work properly. I'll get back to you if I come across some easy solution.

thanks guys. yea ive tried some digging around and couldnt find anything.....friggan steam.

I've found this in the RTR FAQ which might be of use:

10) How can I play RTR with Steam?

1. Run the FoE installer like normal, changing the install path to xxxx/steam/steamapps/common/rome total war gold
    2. Ignore the launcher and short-cut prompts, they won't work
    3. Open Steam, right-click on Rome: Total War Gold in the My Games menu
    4. Select Properties
    5. Under the General tab select Set launch options ...
    6. Type in -mod:FOE -show_err -nm without quotations and click OK
    7. Launch Rome: Total War Gold by double-clicking it in the My Games menu
    8. Select Barbarian Invasion from the two-choice list and Launch.

(in this case it should be -mod:TGW -show_err -nm)

If you try it, please tell me if it works.

k ima bout to try it ill letcha know if it works. thanks btw

yea it works.....thanks a bunch man id hug ya but i cant put my arms through the internet.

You're welcome.

Hi!

Unfortunately i have the same problem, and it did not help me. The games starts, but when i click on imperial campaign, i get a message that says "Please select an item from the list", and i cant continue. There are neither list nor items.

Maybe any more idea? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by vertol View Post
    Hi!

Unfortunately i have the same problem, and it did not help me. The games starts, but when i click on imperial campaign, i get a message that says "Please select an item from the list", and i cant continue. There are neither list nor items.

Maybe any more idea? Thank you.
    Go to provincil campaign,click the greek wars and there you go.
    hope it works!!

That problem sounds to me to be more to do with not having the latest patch, but I'm afraid I don't know how patching Romte Total war on steam works.

There is province campaign, i can click on it, but there is only one campaign in it: "Imperial Campaign" with the three original roman houses. It works but its like the normal RTW. I really dont understand.

Foederatus

I have a different problem, but didn't think it warrented a new thread (correct me if I'm wrong). The game runs just fine and its pure awesome, but when I was doing a custom battle with 2 full armies, a popup came up that said something to the tune of, "Amont of units surpasses the recomended settings." Or something like that... Anyway, the in-game got some real lag to it. I was wondering what thats about, considering I'd never had the issue in RTW before. Could anyone help out?

That must be something to do with you having your settings too high. It will be beacuse the preferences file (which sets your defualt graphics settings ect) will have come from the one uploaded with the game. Those settings are probably too high for your system. If you go into Options- Graphic and change the settings there to match what you have when you play your vanilla game, and it should work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by vertol View Post
    There is province campaign, i can click on it, but there is only one campaign in it: "Imperial Campaign" with the three original roman houses. It works but its like the normal RTW. I really dont understand.
    make sure you installed right.

Quote Originally Posted by dacder View Post
    make sure you installed right.
    I am also having this problem, and I'm fairly certain it installed correctly, but I don't know how to know for sure with Steam.

Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Zavid the Brave View Post
    I am also having this problem, and I'm fairly certain it installed correctly, but I don't know how to know for sure with Steam.

Does anyone know?
    make sure you set the launch exactly right or it wont work

Quote Originally Posted by dacder View Post
    make sure you set the launch exactly right or it wont work

-mod:TGW -show_err -nm

This is the launch I have, and it won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavid the Brave View Post
    -mod:TGW -show_err -nm

This is the launch I have, and it won't work.
    try launching with BI.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    aww steam is great but they like to hide the file folders...

here let me tell you how to find them..

first go to program files or w.e and find the steam folder.
    then click on SteamAps folder. then open the common folder.

You should have all your games folders in here open up RTW and install the mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by RCOG View Post
    Because I am not certain if this mod is mod-foldered or not, I will post two solutions.

Now the first option is that the mod is NOT mod foldered, in which case it makes things slightly less complicated.

I shall assume, that upon installation of the mod, a shortcut is created on your desktop, now obviously, as with all rtw and m2tw mods Ive experienced, these shortcuts are not designed to work with steam, so you have to tweak them slightly.

First and foremost, right click on the shortcut which has been created, then click properties.

Look in the "Start in:" line and make sure the following is written there, if not then copy this line over whatever is written:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war gold"

Assuming that you have indeed installed the mod to rome total war gold,
    that is the line which should be written at "Start in:".

Now, after this has been clarified, theres 2 diffrent ways, one for non-mod foldered mods and one for mod foldered mods
    (p.s. sorry for repeating the same word like six times in a row, it is slightly annoying)

For NON-mod foldered mods, go to the shortcuts properties as instructed earlier, and copy the following line over whatever is written in "Target :"

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 4760

This line works for me using roma surrectum, which isnt mod-foldered, and should work for other such mods in the same way, the shortcut will now launch the mod through steam.

(Edit : from fully reading the opening post, I realise the mod isnt foldered, and thus will override vanilla rtw, in that case, All I can say is, make a copy of the rome total war gold folder, and then install the mod unto your rome total war gold folder, if you want to play vanilla again, just exchange the folders, otherwise, the mod needs to be contained within its own folder which is up to the developers of the mod).

Now for mods which are mod-foldered, its similiar, but slightly diffrent, you copy a diffrent version of the line shown above,

A few examples for mod-foldered mods lines such as:

Europa Barbaroum :

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 4760 -show_err -nm -mod:EB

Rome total Realism platinum edition :

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 4760 -mod:RTRPE -show_err -nm

Rise of Persia :

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 4760 -show_err -nm -mod:ROP

As you can see, these lines are quite similiar, except in two things, the intials of the mod you want to use (ROP,RTRPE,EB) and the actual structure of the launch line, as it seems there are two diffrent versions of launch lines for these mods.
    Now because I dont which structure belongs to BOA, I suggest people to try the following launch lines (assuming the name of the folder containing the mod is BOA, if not then change BOA to the correct name of the folder containing the mod) :

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 4760 -show_err -nm -mod:BOA

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 4760 -mod:BOA -show_err -nm

Assuming the name of the folder containing the mod is BOA, one of these launch lines should do the trick, I just discovered this mod, and therefore have not downloaded it yet, so, itll take me a while before I can test my own suggestions.

~Regards RCOG.
    oh and you could add that info to download page
    Last edited by Hopit; April 24, 2010 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast