Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: You decide: new historical battles for DotS

Default Re: You decide: new historical battles for DotS

Battle of Yarmuk:

The Battle of Yarmouk was a major battle between the Muslim Arab forces of the Rashidun Caliphate and the armies of the East Roman-Byzantine Empire. The battle consisted of a series of engagements that lasted for six days in August 636, near the Yarmouk River, along what is today the border between Syria and Jordan, south-east of the Sea of Galilee. The result of the battle was a complete Muslim victory which ended Byzantine rule in Syria.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Battle of Qadissiyyah
    :

The Battle of al-Qādisiyyah was fought in 636; it was the decisive engagement between the Arab muslim army and the Sassanid Persian army during the first period of Muslim expansion. It resulted in the Islamic conquest of Persia, and was key to the conquest of Iraq. The battle also saw the alleged alliance of Emperor Yazdegerd III with Emperor Heraclius, who then married off his granddaughter Manyanh to Yazdegerd as a symbol of alliance.

The Battle of Guadelete (Conquest of Hispania):

The Battle of Guadalete was fought in 711 or 712 at an unidentified location between the Christian Visigoths of Hispania under their king, Roderic, and an invading force of Muslim Arabs and Berbers under Ṭāriq ibn Ziyad. The battle was significant as the culmination of a series of Arab-Berber attacks and the beginning of the Islamic conquest of Hispania. In the battle Roderic probably lost his life, along with many members of the Visigothic nobility, opening the way for the capture of Visigothic capital of Toledo.

I think, the battles need to have taken place after at the start of the game year, which I believe is 1080.

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I think, the battles need to have taken place after at the start of the game year, which I believe is 1080.
    Yes you are right, but I saw others also posting battles from out of timeframe so I thought why not give it a try.

Battle of Grunwald 15 July 1410
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grunwald

The most awesome video created in M2TW I've ever seen!!! Amazing! Great battle, great units, great camera, cuts, all. Congrats... Only a shame, that I don't speek hungarian
    Yes, the guys worked a lot with it.
    wow!truly epic video!thanks for posting!do u know what song is when the 2 armies march to battle on 5 to 7 minutes(maybe a bit more
    I'll try to acquire something like this!

can we have the battle of the Death Star?

Christianus's Avatar Miles

Battle of Myriokephalon
    1176, September 17 – The Seljuk Turks defeat Manuel I Comnenus.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Myriokephalon
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

battle of Liegnitz 1241
    battle if Sajo River 1241 (sometimes battle of Mohi)
    who wouldn't want to play the mongols about to destroy the western world? Thank you Ogedai for dying.
    Veni, vidi, edi, I facile amittitur - i came, i saw, i ate, i lost on easy

I'm special with a capial Q

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

1410 Grunwald.... and any of the 14th century sieges of Constantinople
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

Battle of Brémule (1119)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Br%C3%A9mule
    I can provide primary sources which describe the battle. The wiki article is somewhat short.

Battle of Bourgtherould (1124)
    The Anglo-Norman chronicler Oderic Vitalis provides an account of this battle. I can get his account for you if you wish. The significance of this battle is that much of Henry I of England's army (c.300 knights) fought on foot with archers. The archers were used to shoot the horses of the Norman rebels (William Clito's supporters) charging towards them, while the dismounted knights protected the archers on foot. The few mounted knights of Henry I supporters then charged to rout the rest of the rebels and to take prisoners.

Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

Bouvines would certainly be a good one to do.

Battle of the Golden Spurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cň am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu brŕth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhěthein buaile fŕs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sěos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an ŕird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Battle of Muhi: hungarians vs mongols.
    Battle of Mohács: hungarians vs the ottoman empire

HellBojus's Avatar Foederatus

1410 Battle of Grunwald (Tannenberg)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grunwald

Quote Originally Posted by kiskompi View Post
    Battle of Mohács: hungarians vs the ottoman empire
    Both battles of Mohacs are outside of our timeframe (1080-1453).

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Diodredai's Avatar Tiro
    Budapest, Hungary formerly Melbourne Australia

The Battle on the Marchfeld (i.e. Morava Field; Czech: Bitva na Moravském poli, Hungarian: Morvamezei csata)
    It's well within the timeline of DoTS (August 26, 1278), it was between Rudolf von Habsburg (With a large number of reinforcements from King Ladislaus IV "The Cuman" of Hungary) vs Přemysl II. Ottokar II. It is perhaps the most important battle in Austrian history, and led to the rise of the Habsburg dynasty (a dynasty that would go on to rule large amounts of Europe until the end of WW1), also the untimely death of Ottokar II, who was perhaps the most powerful king of Bohemia. The battle should be played from all three sides if possible, because although the Austrian forces did fight valiantly, victory was won by the use of the Cuman and other mounted horse archer regiments from Hungary, and the joined - German-Hungarian heavy cavalry charge in the back of the Bohemian army.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_on_the_Marchfeld

Also: The Battle of Varna!
    It took place on November 10, 1444 near Varna in eastern Bulgaria. In this battle the Ottoman Empire under Sultan Murad II defeated the Hungarian and Polish armies under Władysław III of Poland (also King of Hungary) and János Hunyadi. Barely fits in with the timeline but was quite important.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Varna
    Also #2 Battle of Mohi
    The Battle of Mohi (Muhi), or Battle of the Sajó River, (on April 11, 1241) was the main battle between the Mongol Empire and the Kingdom of Hungary during the Mongol invasion of Europe. It took place at Muhi, Southwest of the Sajó River. After the invasion, Hungary lay in ruins. Nearly half of the inhabited places had been destroyed by the invading armies. Around 15-25 percent of the population was lost, mostly in lowland areas, especially in the Great Hungarian Plain, the southern reaches of the Hungarian plain in the area now called the Banat, and in southern Transylvania.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_mohi
    Also #3 The Battle of Nicopolis
    The Battle of Nicopolis (Hungarian: Nikápolyi csata) took place on 25 September 1396 and resulted in the rout of an allied army of Hungarian, Wallachian, French, Burgundian, German and assorted troops (assisted by the Venetian navy) at the hands of an Ottoman force, raising of the siege of the Danubian fortress of Nicopolis and leading to the end of the Second Bulgarian Empire. It is often referred to as the Crusade of Nicopolis and was the last large-scale crusade of the Middle Ages.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nicopolis
    Also #4 Battle of Kressenbrunn
    The Battle of Kressenbrunn was fought in July 1260 near Groissenbrunn in Lower Austria between the Kingdom of Bohemia and the Kingdom of Hungary for the possession of the duchies of Austria and Styria. The Bohemian forces were led by King Ottokar II Přemysl, while the Hungarians were led by King Béla IV.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kressenbrunn

And just for the sake of not giving a hoot that the battle was before the DotS timeline, but being one of my personal favorites:
    The Battle of Manzikert
    The Battle of Manzikert (Classical Armenian: Մամազկերտ – Manazkert(City of Manaz); Modern Turkish: Malazgirt (Meydan) Savaşı'), was fought between the Byzantine Empire and Seljuq Turks led by Alp Arslan on August 26, 1071 near Manzikert (modern Malazgirt in Muş Province, Turkey). The decisive defeat of the Byzantine army and the capture of the Emperor Romanos IV Diogenes played an important role in undermining Byzantine authority in Anatolia and Armenia, and allowed for the gradual Turkification of Anatolia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Manzikert
    Last edited by Diodredai; January 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM.

Creator of the Unoffical DotS FAQ thread
    "Sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine" (translation: "Lord save us from the arrows of the Hungarians")
    Creator of the Share your musical heritage! thread in the DotS forums

Cheezus14's Avatar Foederatus

I want to add my personal favourite medieval battle.
    The battle of Adrianapole:
    The Battle of Adrianople occurred on April 14, 1205 between Bulgarians under Tsar Kaloyan of Bulgaria, and Crusaders under Baldwin I. It was won by the Bulgarians after a skillful ambush using the help of their Cuman and Greek allies. Around 300 knights were killed, including Louis of Blois, Duke of Nicaea and Baldwin was captured and later died in captivity.

Diodredai's Avatar Tiro
    Budapest, Hungary formerly Melbourne Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezus14 View Post
    I want to add my personal favourite medieval battle.
    The battle of Adrianapole:
    The Battle of Adrianople occurred on April 14, 1205 between Bulgarians under Tsar Kaloyan of Bulgaria, and Crusaders under Baldwin I. It was won by the Bulgarians after a skillful ambush using the help of their Cuman and Greek allies. Around 300 knights were killed, including Louis of Blois, Duke of Nicaea and Baldwin was captured and later died in captivity.
    A fine battle indeed, I enjoyed reading your description of the battle in my thread regarding the forgotten battles of the DotS timeline - unfortunately let me point out a point on why I believe it would be possible for this (otherwise) great battle to make it into the historical battles section:

1. There is a limit to how many units can be in the game. That being said (and since no Bulgarian faction is present in DotS) I don't think Bulgaria will have a sufficient unit roster (I.E beyond the 1 or 2 mercenary troops that can be recruited in Bulgaria province) to represent the Bulgarian forces in the battle. For the Latin Empire, it wouldn't be much of a hassle, just add Crusader units with Hungarian, German, French, English, and other Catholic faction "knight units".

Creator of the Unoffical DotS FAQ thread
    "Sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine" (translation: "Lord save us from the arrows of the Hungarians")
    Creator of the Share your musical heritage! thread in the DotS forums

Cheezus14's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Diodredai View Post
    A fine battle indeed, I enjoyed reading your description of the battle in my thread regarding the forgotten battles of the DotS timeline - unfortunately let me point out a point on why I believe it would be possible for this (otherwise) great battle to make it into the historical battles section:

1. There is a limit to how many units can be in the game. That being said (and since no Bulgarian faction is present in DotS) I don't think Bulgaria will have a sufficient unit roster (I.E beyond the 1 or 2 mercenary troops that can be recruited in Bulgaria province) to represent the Bulgarian forces in the battle. For the Latin Empire, it wouldn't be much of a hassle, just add Crusader units with Hungarian, German, French, English, and other Catholic faction "knight units".
    I personally think that the bulgarian faction can be represented by Rus or ERE troops like in vanilla M2 the teutonic order was represented by HRE.Basicly about the units in the battle I need to do a little more digging on it.If i have the time ofc.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast