Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Fortuna Orbis - Description, Questions and Updates Thread

Default Re: Fortuna Orbis - Description, Questions and Updates Thread

well I admit I haven't read him directly but it says so in 'Cavalry Operations in Ancient Greek World' by Robert Gaebel.

Afaik he recommends the greek kopis for the sword and the persian palta for the javelin.

you are correct florin80, I went through the book and found that I had missed a footnote where he says that when he says persian sword he means the kopis, apparently, he considers it to be persian.

56. Ibid., 12.11. The Persian kopiv~ (apparently the same as the Greek mavcaira) and the Greek
    xivfo~. Greek weapons terminology is admittedly confusing. Here, since the Greek two-edged sword could
    be used for slashing as well as thrusting, Xenophon’s preference is presumably based on the greater effectiveness
    of the curved, single-edged sabre. It is difficult for a cavalryman to stab with his sword and then
    withdraw it from his victim’s body. For swords and sabres, see GRW 63, 98.
    Last edited by Boom S; July 29, 2010 at 08:53 PM.

anyway, since the mauryan roster has been completely overhauled, there is little point in continuing to post in the older preview thread, perhaps we can have a new preview thread sometime in the future.

now CC isn't around at the moment and I've completed some new units, so I'll post some snaps here right away. be warned though that these are subject to alterations, depending on CC's input (and your opinion)

Nagar-Rakshi (Town Guards)

Recruited from among the citizens of a settlement, these men wore no armour, received only rudimentary training and were lightly armed. The men volunteered for service in return for a salary and a daily ration of grain from the Imperial granary. Their duties involved maintaining law and order in the settlement and rarely extended to defending the city against aggressors.
    When called upon to fight they were armed with a 5 hasta or 9 feet long Tomara spear and a large but light leather bound shield on a bamboo frame. In addition they carried a single hataka javelin which they threw before joining the melee.

Padatik Sena (Line Infantry)

Padatik Sena would be where all infantrymen start their careers, those who show promise would go on to be trained as swordsmen and for some, even officers. The rest would continue in the light infantry of the Mauryan standing army which was also the most numerous unit in the Mauryan order of battle.
    Thus, at any one time the Padatik Sena would comprise of the youngest and most inexperienced soldiers along with those who have spent many a summer in the unit, giving it solidity.

Armed similarly as the nagara-rakshi with a Tomara spear, a single Hataka javelin, an animal hide covered bamboo shield and the addition of a protective felt jacket, Padatik Sena was however a much more capable force due to the year-long training it received as part of the Mauryan army. What they lacked in discipline they tried to make up by sheer numbers.

Get into position !

Captain leads the way !

Now we wait.

Chaaarge !

The enemy general is down !

a couple of other units would be previewed later in the day.

altered the Padatik Sena a little. the face was looking plastic earlier.

new unit.

Gada Yodhdha( War-mace berserker)

The strongest warriors in the army were trained to fight with the fearsome Gada, a war-mace studded with sharp iron flanges. Highly skillful, they eschewed all armour protection save a shoulder guard on which to rest the Gada. With their complete disregard for personal safety and their fearsome weapon against which no shield stood a chance, they struck fear into the hearts of the enemy. Used well, they can be the factor that tilts the balance in a battle.
    Having neither armour nor shield they are however vulnerable to missile fire and should be kept away from enemy missile troops.

before you say it, I know it has the wrong animation, he can't possibly carry the heavy Gada in one hand. I have just used the normal infantry's place in the roster without changing attributes or skeleton. I would leave that to CC.

comments ? criticism ?
    Last edited by Boom S; July 30, 2010 at 04:33 PM.

You`re getting better at a pretty fast pace.

thanks !

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

I'm back.

Great work, BoomS I would rep you, if TWC would allow it

It looks like I have some catching up to do Those units won't need too much revision. The red waistbands are too bright (taking the saturation down should fix this), and the yellow on the Ghada looks a little bright as well, possibly. Apart from that, the line spearman's head is designed (on the model) to have a headband, but there isn't one on the texture. Finally, both of the Ghada units' arms have sleeves, whilst only the right arm should.

Does anyone know of a 2-handed animation?
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

it's not a sleeve, it's a decorative silver armlet.

leaving aside my well-known problem with brightness, I deliberately didn't add a headband to the texture since I wanted it to look significantly different without using up another model slot. still, it can be done in a minute if you ask.

anyway, I need your help on a couple of things, give me a ping when you are online, that is to say when you are done watching England notch up a lead of 400 against Pakistan.

p.s. I almost forgot, how did your gallic campaign go ? did they offer much resistance ?

added later : 2 handed animation, there was a Dacian berserker swordsman in BI wasn't there ?
    Last edited by Boom S; July 31, 2010 at 02:38 PM.

Carados's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Boom S View Post
    added later : 2 handed animation, there was a Dacian berserker swordsman in BI wasn't there ?
    There are a couple of berserker units with two handed weapons in BI.

Hounds of Culain (sp?) spring to mind.
    Developer for the Extended Realism mod for RTR Platinum.
    Developer for RTRVII and protégé of Caligula Caesar

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Firstly, this looks fantastic, so good luck with it all

If I may suggest, it's uncertain that the Belgae were in Britain in the start-date you're looking at, except as cross-channel raiders. Unfortunately, the AI doesn't seem to like sending troops over the channel, so you simulate this by having Camulodunum as a Rebel city with a Belgae army nearby that can besiege it. This will let the AI decide whether they completely trash the place or go for long-term development.

Quote Originally Posted by Carados View Post
    There are a couple of berserker units with two handed weapons in BI.

Hounds of Culain (sp?) spring to mind.
    thanks. I haven't checked which one CC is using but it's working well enough.

I used one for 2-handed swords (not the one used for falxes) and it works fine. Here are some shots:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Get em!

I'm a Principe. No one would dare harm me... right?

Going it alone

@Irenaeus: The Belgae will probably start as one of the tribes of the Belgae lands (the Remi), and from there they will have to try and unite the other Belgae. Britain is very underrepresented, but there's nothing stopping the AI from going across... but the Belgae only started going acros much later.

(BTW, you may notice some weird glitches on some of those pics... it has been fixed
    Last edited by Caligula Caesar; August 06, 2010 at 03:09 PM.

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

just a note, the silly looking glitch in the above pics has been rectified.

Carados's Avatar Senator

The heads on those "Etrurians"?

They look wrong ^__^
    It's as if the body has been made to one specification and a random head has been slapped on x__x

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

hmm, I'll check them later, they seem to have no necks. they are from RTR 6 I guess.
    Last edited by Boom S; August 07, 2010 at 08:20 AM.

Carados's Avatar Senator

That might be it, yeah.

I'm fairly sure they are an RTR7 unit. No, the glitch is on the Gada unit... You won't have to look long