Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to change faction leaderīs portrait and name

Dhop's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: How to change faction leaderīs portrait and name

PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM SO RUBBISH AT TRYING TO DO THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Dhop View Post
    PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM SO RUBBISH AT TRYING TO DO THIS
    You should ask something specific and not just help in general. You'll need to make the new portraits and a new mod pack to add them. Then you have to go in startpos.esf and update new paths. Tutorial is very detailed how to do that.

Check also this tutorial http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...98#post4853398 especially step 4 and the image after that. It is about changing names but you can see how to spot a character record (you are looking for the leader) and where the portrait paths are located (PORTRAIT_DETAILS). There you should add the paths to your new portraits.

Dhop's Avatar Foederatus

Sorry for not being specific well I want to change the portraits of leaders and so on Ive downloaded a portraits mod which is all very well but theres no portraits for the eastern factions and some dont have the correct portraits so Ive collected together a load of eastern portraits and as far as i can see ive given them the correct sizes and rounded them off and made JPEG and TGA ones but when I follow this it just all goes wrong coz i dont have a clue what im doing I no how to extract the portraits from the mod I use but I dont no what to do after that do I create a mod myself or do I just change the portraits using my pictures ???? I will try the link you have put up thank you for your time

I suppose you have your pack ready. If it is a "mod" type you have to add the relative command in user script, else if it is "movie" you have not to. Now lets say that the new Britain leader portrait in your pack is ui/.../.../mickey_mouse.tga (and ui/.../.../mickey_mouse.jpg) then you should make these changes in startpos:

1. FACTIONS_INFO (for the factions selection menu)

Here you have to add the .tga path (ui/.../.../mickey_mouse.tga)

2. If he is king you should make change in FAMILY record first member which is the king:

Here you enter both tga and jpg paths (icon and portrait).

3. Last you have to change leader's character record portrait paths, in PORTRAIT_DETAILS:

Here you have also to enter both tga and jpg paths. If you have difficulties to spot the leader's character record you can go first in GOVENMENT, 2nd POST (faction_leader) and get the id in 3rd line (not in first). Then open every character record and check the id in first line.

Dhop's Avatar Foederatus

Thank you so much I'll give that a go cheers

Dhop's Avatar Foederatus

hi again quick question after using gimp on the portraits the file changes from a jpeg to png will that still work or does it need to stay jpeg and if so how do i keep it as that

No you have to have jpg. Just select save as and enter the name plus extension: my_imge.jpg

Dhop's Avatar Foederatus

cheers thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by fingon View Post
    Hi,

Now open localisation.loc (in PFM still) and find the array you saw in esf in family and character folder. Change the name of your leader, but do not write his number, we did this in esf already. Then save it and move the file in your data folder.

Now you can launch the game and enjoy new portraits and name of your faction leader.
    I am spending sleepless nights trying to decipher what you're talking about!! Its a very lengthy process, and just when i think i am done, there's still more final steps to go through! what is this last step???

Ok I got the portrait to work but the name still didn't work!! any thoughts?
    Last edited by Ramesses II The Great; October 05, 2012 at 06:06 PM.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Edit the localisation file. Easiest is to open it with PFM, extract to tsv.
    Open the file with Excel, Search for a name, like "Napoleon", and replace it with "Napoléon Premier, empereur des franįais", save, import back to PFM, save. Done.
    Last edited by Steph; October 05, 2012 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fingon View Post

Now you can launch the game and enjoy new portraits and name of your faction leader.
    Do you know how can i make my faction leader into a general?? possibly using one of the existing generals?? I hope u do.

Patrician Artifex

The easiest would be to take an existing general, rename it and give it the same portrait as your leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    The easiest would be to take an existing general, rename it and give it the same portrait as your leader.
    Yes Sir that is what i am trying to do, and i already have an existing general sharing the same age, pictures, name and attributes as my faction leader, now i just need to place the link between them, so if my general gains a star, my leader gains the star (being the same person) etc. That's what i am wondering how to do.

Patrician Artifex

I don't think it is possible. Beside, why skills on the battlefield would necessary mean you are better at diplomacy or to manage ministers?

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I don't think it is possible. Beside, why skills on the battlefield would necessary mean you are better at diplomacy or to manage ministers?
    I've figured out the string connections between the general and the faction leader and the placement of an army on the campaign map. I got it to show the name and portrait of my general as faction leader in the starting campaign menu but the game crashes when i start a campaign I reviewed all my string connections between the characters and they are all flawless!!!! i don't know what to do i am going crazy!!!!!

I am playing as Kingdom of Italy. The King and all his ministers are titled "minister" I tried to change that in local_en to "King" but it changed all of them to king. Do you know how i could change only the faction leader's title from minister to king?
    To offend us is to offend God

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Husser how do I change a king to a queen for the starting rulers?
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

"In notepad write: mod myportraits.pack; and save it as user.script.txt (forget about ETW in this case). Took me as well some time to figure this out. This file save in scripts folder in document and settings."

I create a notepad in the data folder ?

user.script.txt, where should this txt be? In which folder?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast