Thread: AI and their free upgrades

Default AI and their free upgrades

Does anyone know if the computer players get free promotions for their units. I've noticed in all my campaigns and especically in my newest Prussian campaign that the AI seems to be getting free promotions for their units. I keep running into armies that have every unit in them minimum 3 chevrons. This may not seem odd but its occuring in armies that I know haven't been fighting...I'm talking about the armies of the small nations like Denmark and Bavaria. I sent a spy to the Amsterdam to my surprise all the militia units inside are third or forth rank. I'm playing on hard and know that the AI already gets to cheat a bunch on higher settings so this wouldn't surprise me. maybe I am just imagining all this but has anyone else seen anything like this?

MaKoS's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: AI and their free upgrades

Some rebell units most than often are really experienced.

In my Hard campaign all rebel armies which appear are always over three chevrons experienced..
    "ΠΟΛΕΜΟΣ ΠΑΤΗΡ ΠΑΝΤΩΝ"

Ηράκλειτος εκ Εφέσου (535–475 B.C.)

"WAR, FATHER OF ALL THINGS"

Heraklitus of Ephesus (535–475 B.C.)

After a few upgrades of your barracks you can recruit units with 1 or 2 chevrons already. Certainly line infantry is recruitable with 2 chevrons.

Xelathur's Avatar Ducenarius

And, the AI is fighting, thus gaining experience.
    One’s back is vulnerable, unless one has a brother.
    Ber er hver að baki nema sér bróður eigi.

The Saga of Grettir the Strong, chapter 82

Tiro

I think they do get random upgrades. In my campaign playing as the French i kept getting invaded by England with chevron 4 armies, but he had never fought before with those armies. And when i killed them off he invaded again with a fresh army of chevron 4. Rather impossible if you ask me.

Well I suppose that when you are talking about the British they could - in theory - be bringing in Armies that have been fighting elswhere in their Empire and so have experience. But it does seem a little extreme if rebel armies are turning up with chevrons all over the place. I have armies with Chevrons and a little pip below them, what does that mean? Is that better than a chevron?

The pip represents 5 additional chevrons.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelathur View Post
    And, the AI is fighting, thus gaining experience.
    No they aren't. I'm talking about armies that I know for a fact have not fought enough to get full army of 3 and 4 chevrons, I know this because I would be the only person they were fighting. The more I play the more I'm sure this is happening.

it's to make the game a bit more challenging and it makes stacks a bit more diverse, so it's a good thing and BTW the CAI on medium is already cheating (minor nations army size)