Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How to Create a Mod

Default Re: How to Create a Mod

Quote Originally Posted by xand82 View Post
    Ok, thanx, so I will try with framework 3.5
    so... with 3.5 problem is the same, anyone has any idea?

OK I gave up... I have no idea why it does not work... could anyone make a simple mod for me, wich will disable naval units limits (including merchant ships) in darthmod ... please?
    A.

Are you using Pack File Manager and what version? Do you get any error message? Upload a screen shot when problem occurs.

Icon4 Re: How to Create a Mod

I am using PFM 1.5.9, I have already installed MS framework 3.5 (before I had 4.0)... I am using Windows 7 - 64bit version.
    Error message you can see on the screenshot attached - It says in polish that some exception occured and blablabla... If i choose continue there is nothing happen - the same if I ignore it.
    You can also read in english strange (firm me) meessage saying that "This table has unexpected format. It may have change in the most recent updates" .
    Thank You,
    A.

now I am quite shure that I am making something wrong & probably stupid cause I've tried on oter pc (with Windows xp) and I had the same problem... so what I've missed? it is must be something very basic...

It is not your fault. Darth probably has edited units table using DbEditor which is not compatible with PFM. So you have to use this program to edit them.

EDIT: Here you can see how you can make a DbEditor table editable from PFM.
    Last edited by husserlTW; October 30, 2010 at 04:40 PM.

Thank You! it seems to be quite complcated but I'll try

its not work with Mod and Movie my game crash please help

Hey all, first off: fantastic tutorial, I think I really got the hang of 99.9% of this. Here however, is my problem: You said I need to "preferences.script.txt and rename the copy to user.script.txt." but I cant find the "preferences.script.txt any place in either the modded version NTW I am working on or in the Vanilla NTW. can I get a little help?

Sorry, never mind I found the post about using Mod Manager, now I just have to find out what I did wrong with my mod

Quote Originally Posted by SCCOJake View Post
    Hey all, first off: fantastic tutorial, I think I really got the hang of 99.9% of this. Here however, is my problem: You said I need to "preferences.script.txt and rename the copy to user.script.txt." but I cant find the "preferences.script.txt any place in either the modded version NTW I am working on or in the Vanilla NTW. can I get a little help?
    That's because they are not in the program files at all. These things and your saved games are in the application data. Go to your Win start button, click on "Run", types in or paste %appdata%. Then find a folder called creative assembly or Sega, then go click, click, click.

Ah ha! thanks a bunch, I will give that a try tonight.

Icon4 Re: How to Create a Mod

I can't get mine to work......
    I edited units and land stats and renamed them so they have 1s on the end, the pack file is located in my documents and the user.scripts file has my mod enabled, but N:TW Crashes when I try to load it up.
    Halp.

Quote Originally Posted by General Aleksandrovich View Post
    I can't get mine to work......
    I edited units and land stats and renamed them so they have 1s on the end, the pack file is located in my documents and the user.scripts file has my mod enabled, but N:TW Crashes when I try to load it up.
    Halp.
    Follow MB's instructions very closely. For starters I'd simply copy the DB of patch 4. Now you have a vanilla copy of the DB of patch 4. Use modmanager to load, does it work? Then so far so good. You can start editing your mod in the the data folder. Keep a spare modfile in another folder that you update when you find your alterations work.

I wouldn't alter the unit ID name, that will probably cause the game to fail. You can alter the on screen name, but that needs to be followed up with alterations to the Local en.

Ok, lets start off by making your first mod!

1. Ok, create a new folder on your desktop, call it "My Mod" or the name of your mod.
    2. Ok, now open the PFM, and find the file(s) that you wish to edit (Find other tutorials for more percific details on how to edit)
    3. Don't edit them yet, extract them to the folder you made step 1
    4. Now click on 'File/New' and then when asked which folder do you want it to be relative to, press the folder yo created in step 1.
    5.Now right click and press "add directory" and click on the folder you created in step 1.
    6.Now all of the files you extracted should be in your new pack, now right click somewhere on the left panel, and press 'Change Mod Type' and usually change it to 'mod' (There is also movie, patch, release, but they don't mean anything, they are just different types of packs, but stick with mod) Now save your pack to Program Files/Steam/Steam Apps/Common/Napoleon Total War/data, call it whatever like "My_Awesome_Mod" or whatever.
    7. Now edit your files, edit tga's dds', or DB files, whatever you want to edit, there are other tutorials that go into more detail for what you particually want to mod, just call them the same thing when you resave them in the same place as 6!
    8. To activate your mod, go to your AppData/Roaming/Creative Assembly/Napoleon/Scripts and create a user.scprit text file with Notepad and type in it: mod xxxx.pack; (xxxx being the name of your mod) and then save it, making sure it is saved as unicode.

Warning, Appdata may be hidden, so you may have to look hard to find it, Appdata is usually found in your User folder for Vista or Win 7, meaning the folder named what your computer is called, usually found on your desktop!

Thnx, I'd edited the screen name of 'Foot' to 'Foot company', probably why then.

Quote Originally Posted by General Aleksandrovich View Post
    Thnx, I'd edited the screen name of 'Foot' to 'Foot company', probably why then.
    Ok, "Foot" is the on screen name of the British line. Look in the local en patch under text/ localization.loc And you'll find this entry.

units_on_screen_name_Inf_Line_British_Foot, and the localised string in the second column is the onscreen name.

I'm not sure if this is what made the game crash. These are the DB tables you would want to work on.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...76#post8400876

Which is in this thread.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=340596

Don't worry, I fixed it

Von koh's Avatar Decanus

Edit: No need anymore help, i got it work
    Last edited by Von koh; January 07, 2011 at 02:09 AM.

My gallery Rep if you like.
    6 UESW victory.

(JUST IN CASE THIS WAS MISSED ON MY POST)

Hey all.. hope someone can help me.... I think I've figured out the AOR thing and all but I seem to be having a problem (and I've re-read all of the tutorials I can find.)
    So, let me ask this and see if anyone can do a quick step by step with me.
    My goal is to create auxiliary troops Westphalian, Hessian, Bavarian, etc. that can only be recruited in their respective regions (and prevent the recruitment of other troops in those regions.) So, if you were France, you could only recruit the Bavarian units when you conquer bavaria, etc.

My problem is, that I;ve tried creating a unit and the NTW wont load. So, here is what i did and maybe someone will be kind enough to help me out.

I copied a Westphalian Militia unit and named it MYNAP_WEST_MILITIA_Inf_Militia_Militia I created entries in Exclusive unit table, unit table, uniforms, colors, stats, building, etc. I also added France prefix to the name in both the uniforms tables. What am I doing wrong or how would you do it. I will add descriptions in the localization file to make the units "unique" when I am done but I cant seem to get this to work.

The point in this is to have the unit retain its westphalian colors (and not take french ones) and to keep its unit card, etc. I will tweek the stats (morale, etc.) later... but I need to make this work first and it is aggravating to no end.

HEP! Please!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by namaskar View Post
    My goal is to create auxiliary troops Westphalian, Hessian, Bavarian, etc. that can only be recruited in their respective regions
    This can be done.

(and prevent the recruitment of other troops in those regions.)
    But this cannot. Actually it can but it needs very complex modding.

My problem is, that I;ve tried creating a unit and the NTW wont load. So, here is what i did and maybe someone will be kind enough to help me out.

I copied a Westphalian Militia unit and named it MYNAP_WEST_MILITIA_Inf_Militia_Militia I created entries in Exclusive unit table, unit table, uniforms, colors, stats, building, etc. I also added France prefix to the name in both the uniforms tables.
    It seems you've done the necessary things. France as a prefix in name is just for giving unique uniform name for the unit, you could use any word as long as it is the same in both uniform tables. Owner faction is determined in second column.

It is not clear if game crashes or just ignores your mod pack with new unit. If it is the first means that there is a mistake in mod pack. If it is the later, try to make your mod pack "movie" type and test again.

Btw AOR means the right entry in startpos, units table and region_resources table.
    Last edited by husserlTW; March 18, 2011 at 07:38 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast