Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: STARTPOS.ESF analysis and modifications

Default STARTPOS.ESF analysis and modifications

STARTPOS.ESF analysis and modifications

Here is my work about startpos.esf from ETW thread. I've posted only the links to be reached easily. There are deferences since NTW startpos is a little different but generally you can figure out what you have to do. For example a common issue is that infos for entries the lay in x line maybe in NTW is in x+1 or x+2 line since there are new lines added. All the modifications I've tried so far seem to work fine. If you find a serious deference or a problem please report it here.

1. THEORY

2. TOOLS

3. TUTORIALS BASED ON STARTPOS.ESF CHANGES

4. ANALYSIS

5. MODIFICATIONS (How to)
    • LEVEL 1

1. Minor faction playable
    2. Starting treasury
    3. Minor faction to major
    4. Starting date-Turns per year
    5. Change faction's capitol
    6. Adding victory conditions
    7. Starting technology
    8. Change government type

• LEVEL 2

1. Emergent to playable
    2. Playable to emergent
    3. Activate emerged facilities
    4. Remove fog of war
    5. Diplomacy manager
    6. Protectorate playable
    7. Editing Starting Armies

• LEVEL 3

1. Change region's ownership
    2. Change ownership of characters
    3. Change ownership of armies and fleets
    4. Convert minor to major city
    5. Enable Unique Regiment Names
    6. How to relocate a whole army or a unit

• LEVEL 4

1. HYBRID STARTPOS.ESF
    Last edited by husserlTW; August 01, 2010 at 05:16 PM.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Default Re: STARTPOS.ESF analysis and modifications

Good job! +rep

btw ... do you know how to assign a strat model to a general i.e. give Napoleon a custom model for the campaign map. I found where to assign portraits but not models for the campaign map.

nm I figured it out.
    Last edited by Kinjo; March 09, 2010 at 02:25 PM.

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

Excellent post! Provides all the startpos resources in one thread.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

I've tried to convert a minor city to a major, following this thread. I tried to switch luzern (switerzland) with london (england).

First difference, the type of building slot is named after a number in NTW (0,1,2,3 and 5 for prestige building) instead of a name.
    So I just changed the slot number.

The building ID system seems to be the same, I did as it's written in the thread.

The excel sheet to calculate the coordinate does not fit the coordinate in the startpos file, I've done one myself based on some majors cities. For the road, fort and the prestige building, I wasn't able to find the exact caluclation key, so I used an approximative one (I wasn't able the see if it worked or not).

I changed the CAI ID following the tutorial.

The problem was to change the regions.esf file from data\campaign_maps\nap_europe. With ESF 1.4.3 I wasn't able to open it.
    With the 1.4.5, it worked fine until I saved. When I tried to open it again, it bug. Plus, the .esf file was 16 mo instead of 9 mo.
    The coordinates in the regions.esf file don't match the coordinates in startpos.esf

(By the way, sorry if my english is a little messy)

I have not tried yet this in NTW. Now I've checked regions.esf I see there is one more value in first float (coordination) which now it is called float 3dpoint and from the form of

xxx,xxxx;xxx,xxx
    now is

xxx,xxxx;x,xxx;xxx,xxx

That good news is that the new number is the same for the same model on campaign map, but it differs between minor cities and major cities. Also it is deferent for cities with deferent culture. The second float is normal. The bad news is that editors needs update. Among all other we've found some new work to do.... Erasmuuuuuuuuuussssss!!!!!!

EDIT: I made a list so thuings be easier for Erasmus and for finding the logical connection. As I've already spotted cities with same slots but also with same pattern have the same float 3d. Cities with same slots but deferent pattern (roads or/and fortification in deferent slot) have deferent float 3d. Also Ottomans cities are deferent except Moldova. List follows as image and as attached spread sheet:

Last edited by husserlTW; March 11, 2010 at 10:44 AM.

Great work man! +rep I learned a lot from these guides. Can't thank you and everyone else enough. But now I have an issue I caught the mod bug and I never play the game but to check changes haha!
    Last edited by rebirthofman; March 11, 2010 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    Among all other we've found some new work to do.... Erasmuuuuuuuuuussssss!!!!!!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I needed that, !!! After the constant attempts of CA to make modding much easier , I was very frustrated, but you made my day again!!!!

Trying to make Greece from the other thread of yours (vanilla not balkans mod) start as con. monarchy. I change the text, copy the gov_imp from UK, and adjust the text in the region slots where applicable but it crashes on starting a new game. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by spyroware View Post
    Trying to make Greece from the other thread of yours (vanilla not balkans mod) start as con. monarchy. I change the text, copy the gov_imp from UK, and adjust the text in the region slots where applicable but it crashes on starting a new game. Am I missing something?
    The only things you have to do is change the middle entry in FACTION/GOVERNMENT and change the FACTION/GOVERNMENT/GOV_IMP/GOV_IMP/. Don't bother with regions and slots, it is not necessary.

Master of Times's Avatar Libertus

hey dude, i can't add victory conditions to portugal...

i copy from britain, and i changed the name of the faction to portugal, and changed some regions name (at regions keys)

but still don't work...

how i do??

do you know how to edit the kings?

THANGDACLAC's Avatar Civis

I've could learnt many useful things here...and just want to say: Thank so much!!!
    Last edited by THANGDACLAC; March 13, 2010 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Times View Post
    hey dude, i can't add victory conditions to portugal...

i copy from britain, and i changed the name of the faction to portugal, and changed some regions name (at regions keys)

but still don't work...

how i do??

do you know how to edit the kings?
    That is the way and you should be alright. Compress and upload here a startpos that crashes after VC changes.

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    The only things you have to do is change the middle entry in FACTION/GOVERNMENT and change the FACTION/GOVERNMENT/GOV_IMP/GOV_IMP/. Don't bother with regions and slots, it is not necessary.
    Sadly it doesnt work well :/
    It does change the gvt to con. monarchy nominally, but the other nations dont have the negative/positive attitude (eg abs. monarchies still have the same gvt type benefit) and when I clicked hold elections all the cabinet portaits disappeared save for the finance minister :S

I think my problem might lie to the imp file copying. It's kinda difficult to paste it to the right directory properly

Quote Originally Posted by spyroware View Post
    Sadly it doesnt work well :/
    It does change the gvt to con. monarchy nominally, but the other nations dont have the negative/positive attitude (eg abs. monarchies still have the same gvt type benefit) and when I clicked hold elections all the cabinet portaits disappeared save for the finance minister :S

I think my problem might lie to the imp file copying. It's kinda difficult to paste it to the right directory properly
    Here is the right way:

But I thing that the problem of negative/positive attitude is related with Diplomacy Relation in FACTION.

The img is corrupted for me. I believe the reason why I get only one minister after the elections is cause the 'opposition' is just the renamed 'candidates' from the abs. mon. and since you got by default only one candidate the first turn somehow I end up getting only one minister. So maybe something needs to be changed in posts too? lol, I knew modding wasn't for me XD

edit: meh, I think I'll just play a game and see how it works out, hopefully it won't turn out too erratic.
    Last edited by spyroware; March 15, 2010 at 07:41 AM.

shenryyr's Avatar Semisalis

This has to be something super basic, but how do you position an army? I couldn't find any x-y coordinates in FACTION/ARMY_ARRAY/ARMY_ARRAY/ARMY, just a UInt for which settlement they occupy, or zero if not in one.
    my other horse is a space ship

great guide thanks for taking the time to make.

Quote Originally Posted by shenryyr View Post
    This has to be something super basic, but how do you position an army? I couldn't find any x-y coordinates in FACTION/ARMY_ARRAY/ARMY_ARRAY/ARMY, just a UInt for which settlement they occupy, or zero if not in one.
    Every army has a character for leader (colonel or general) who have the coordinates (FACTION\CHARACTERS). However armies to have coordinates in CAI field of startpos. Read my relative tuts. If you want to place an army in a new position you have to play the game and move a unit there save the game open the save and take coordinations.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast