Thread: Music, ON - for the campaign map, OFF - for the battles? (asking a modders advice)

Default Music, ON - for the campaign map, OFF - for the battles? (asking a modders advice)

I really like the new music in Napoleon, that is from the small amount I've heard before switching it off. Why switch it off, well I don't like music in my battles as I actually find it breaks the immersion rather then heightening it. It'd be great for the campaign map however and I requested this feature from CA (independent settings) but clearly with no joy. So I have it disabled for both.

But, I was thinking... The battle music is (I assume) totally different to the campaign music (no shared tracks), so would it be possible to simply remove/rename the battle music files?
    If this might lead to crashes as it can't find the files, so how about replacing the original battle music files with a short blank (silent) track, renamed to all the battle music names?

I've no idea how to do this, but seems like it would work.

Thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers.
    Last edited by R.G.S.; March 05, 2010 at 04:20 AM.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Default Re: Music, ON - for the campaign map, OFF - for the battles? (asking a modders advice)

Wrong section. This should go in the N:TW Mod Workshop.

Davius's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Music, ON - for the campaign map, OFF - for the battles? (asking a modders advice)

Quote Originally Posted by R.G.S. View Post
    I really like the new music in Napoleon, that is from the small amount I've heard before switching it off. Why switch it off, well I don't like music in my battles as I actually find it breaks the immersion rather then heightening it. It'd be great for the campaign map however and I requested this feature from CA (independent settings) but clearly with no joy. So I have it disabled for both.

But, I was thinking... The battle music is (I assume) totally different to the campaign music (no shared tracks), so would it be possible to simply remove/rename the battle music files?
    If this might lead to crashes as it can't find the files, so how about replacing the original battle music files with a short blank (silent) track, renamed to all the battle music names?

I've no idea how to do this, but seems like it would work.

Thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers.
    I've been wanting tis since ROME TW. You'd think they could just give us an ON/OFF button for campaign/battle music

Yes, exactly, which is why I requested it. Seems like a very obvious and simple option to add.

With any luck though the solution I propose (albeit not ideal) might do the trick.

Davius's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by R.G.S. View Post
    Yes, exactly, which is why I requested it. Seems like a very obvious and simple option to add.

With any luck though the solution I propose (albeit not ideal) might do the trick.
    Can I bother you to PM me if you figure it out?

No probs man, will do.

hope someone finds a solution... would be grand!

Xelathur's Avatar Ducenarius

alt+m in combat disables music
    One’s back is vulnerable, unless one has a brother.
    Ber er hver að baki nema sér bróður eigi.

The Saga of Grettir the Strong, chapter 82

klesh's Avatar Senator

Yes, I would really like this as I simply turn all sound off currently. I just don't need orchestral music out in a field with cannons blazing and men screaming but I wouldn't mind it during the more contemplative campaign map phase.
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Quote Originally Posted by Xelathur View Post
    alt+m in combat disables music
    thanks!

skimyy's Avatar Civis

You can disable, but sometimes it just gets too quiet during a batttle.
    What I do is I use Packfilemanager and download and use my own choice of music (mp3s), and replace it so it plays the song i want it to play.

Usually movie soundtracks that are battle-like (master and commander, patriot, etc) are so much better than vanilla NTW and ETW music that you hear over and over.

Someone should definitely make a mod thread about this though, it would makea lot of players happy

@skimyy

Thanks for the info man.

Could you please tell me how to replace the files and what their names are etc. I assume you just rename your movie soundtracks to those of the battle ones?

Also are the battle tracks totally separate from the campaign ones, i.e. there is no overlap of usage?

Finally, what's the quickest and easiest way to create a short silent track as a replacement?

Sorry for all the Q's but I've really no idea + sounds like you know what you're doing .

skimyy's Avatar Civis

I followed this thread :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=235817

It worked perfectly fine for me in ETW, but i'm running into some problems in NTW, only playing one of the songs that I replaced.

I'm not that talented into modding, so that is why i'm waiting on others to make a more.....detailed and thorough tutourial for the music sector of modding.

There's a thread in this Thread section where a guy said he'll be making a tutorial for this stuff. Hopefully it'll be soon

Also, it appears that the music played is mostly from the Patch.pack file instead of the sounds.pack.
    Last edited by skimyy; March 06, 2010 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks for the heads up. Will keep an eye on that thread.

@skimyy did you replace the deployment or land sounds with your tracks?

A simple way to do this is to take a .jpg (or similar) file and rename it's extension to .mp3. Go into PFM and extract the appropriate tracks you want silenced and rename the newly (blank) renamed file to match the to be replaced file that already exists.

Here is a walkthrough by tenjouten who made an easy to understand guide for music replacement which is found here.

Just remember to exchange and rename your newly created blank.mp3 to suit the file names it replaces.

I have attached a renamed .jpg if you want to use it. It will need unpacked of course. All I can say is that it "should" work. Problems, let me know.

You can get the BMA_mod_battle_silence_V1.3 here and read its thread.
    Last edited by BlackMailedAgain; September 15, 2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Link
    Bigotry tries to keep truth safe in its hand with a grip that kills it. - Tagore
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Santayana

Disable the music would make me feel good some times,maybe I'm a quiet person.

If you wanted to make a "battlefield atmosphere file" to be played when the fighting starts or at other times could this be done in the same way?