Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast

Thread: BETA V: NAPOLEON: TOTAL COMBAT v4.0 (with 20, 30 & 40 stack army support!) MASSIVE 250+ Units Update!

hitokiri2486's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Napoleon: Total Combat, Thorized Version 2.0a

Excellent mod!

One tiny problem though--it seems with the new format, there's no sound in the game. If I switch back to the old patch version, the sound comes back. Kinda strange...
    Let me persuade you with my powerful logic skills.

In light of the Total War series, a quote from the theologian whom I respect the most:

The Heavenly City outshines Rome, beyond comparison. There, instead of victory, is truth; instead of high rank, holiness.
    St. Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Thoragoros View Post
    I have uploaded a new Vanilla fire version with the correct script.

Conversion error. Sorry about that.
    works great! thanks man!

seems some of those money ideas in your mod started to work. with the new version in my Austrian campaign I went from 3800 a turn to 7500. hehe.

Default Re: Napoleon: Total Combat, Thorized (Important UPDATE also, A Vanilla Fire Version now available)

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Your mod, your rules.

Another suggestion:
    Light infantry had 25% more range than line infantry and rifles had 50+% more range. Could you increase a bit more the range of the light infantry and the rifles? Just +10 and +20 isn't enough IMO. I would suggest since Line infantry has 110, to increase the line infantry range to 130 and the rifles to 150.

Strategy & gameplay question:

So, since the 3rd rank rarely fires, should we use thiner, 2 1/2 lines instead of 3 for more firepower? In vanila, I was using 1 1/2 lines.

Does the mod work with the mod cntw_Battle_AI_v1b.pack ?

Yes it does. I use it.

I'm having trouble finding "AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Napoleon/scripts".

It just doesn't seem to be there.

EDIT: I found it...didn't know it was hidden.
    Last edited by Alba gu Brath; March 09, 2010 at 07:36 AM.

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Alba gu Brath View Post
    I'm having trouble finding "AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Napoleon/scripts".

It just doesn't seem to be there.

EDIT: I found it...didn't know it was hidden.
    Please make sure that in control panel/folder options you have hidden folders set as viewable.

Quote Originally Posted by hitokiri2486 View Post
    Excellent mod!

One tiny problem though--it seems with the new format, there's no sound in the game. If I switch back to the old patch version, the sound comes back. Kinda strange...
    Please download the latest version of the mod. The user.script file contained a conversion error, the latest update fixes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tenjouten View Post
    Quick question. When you say tier one foundry for howitzers and rockets do you mean the very first level 1 factory for artillery? I'm just wondering because I've upgraded the artillery building to level 3 and I still don't see any howitzers or rockets yet. I'm playing GB by the way.
    Please down load the latest update of Total Combat and Howitzers and rockets will be available from tier one.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Your mod, your rules.

Another suggestion:
    Light infantry had 25% more range than line infantry and rifles had 50+% more range. Could you increase a bit more the range of the light infantry and the rifles? Just +10 and +20 isn't enough IMO. I would suggest since Line infantry has 110, to increase the line infantry range to 130 and the rifles to 150.
    That was originally how I had set it, and such ranges for light infantry were also present in some of the larger popular mods for ETW. However, in NTW, since the AI actually tries to avoid light infantry fire this time, the ranges can be 'problematic' for the AI who I find has trouble maneuvering when the player has alot of light infantry with such ranges.

Yes, the problems are subtle, but with AI it is often the subtle things that make a difference.

Strategy & gameplay question:

So, since the 3rd rank rarely fires, should we use thiner, 2 1/2 lines instead of 3 for more firepower? In vanila, I was using 1 1/2 lines.

Does the mod work with the mod cntw_Battle_AI_v1b.pack ?
    Personally, while it depends on how the sporadic AI behaves, having three lines of infantry I find tends to work best. It ensures that you'll have two ranks firing at all times, while giving 'weight' to the line in the event that the enemy charges in for melee or there is a suprise frontal assault by cavalry. Also, when one of the shooters goes down, there will be someone behind him to take his place, and then a man behind him as well to keep firing.
    Last edited by Thoragoros; March 09, 2010 at 08:30 AM.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

This mod is great +Rep

The battles are truly epic now. It's just a pity CA always seem to make the AI so Passive. The AI stacks just stand around waiting to be attacked

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Mongsworth View Post
    This mod is great +Rep

The battles are truly epic now. It's just a pity CA always seem to make the AI so Passive. The AI stacks just stand around waiting to be attacked
    Thanks! Glad you like it!

And yes, although the NTW AI is better than anything CA has put out in the past, it still needs work. Anyway, there is a pretty decent BAI mod out, which is compatible with Total Combat. I'll find the link, but it should be right on the first page of Released Mods.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

The Line of Thor

joreto's Avatar Tiro

Hmm which mod do you mean ? And are you going to implement in future version the idea we discussed (different firing drills for different type of units) ?
    &

Quote Originally Posted by joreto View Post
    Hmm which mod do you mean ? And are you going to implement in future version the idea we discussed (different firing drills for different type of units) ?
    Probably not, since FBR comes with bugs (units not being able to fire until everyone is formed and reloaded), and is NOT hisorical for the time. FBR, at the time, was very, very rare off the parade ground. Here is a source . Yes, it happened occasionally, but it was far from the norm.

If CA fixes FBR, maybe, but even then, I like the feel of entire lines simply blazing away at each other.

The Line of Thor

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Probably not, since FBR comes with bugs (units not being able to fire until everyone is formed and reloaded), and is NOT hisorical for the time. FBR, at the time, was very, very rare off the parade ground. Here is a source . Yes, it happened occasionally, but it was far from the norm.

If CA fixes FBR, maybe, but even then, I like the feel of entire lines simply blazing away at each other.
    couldnt agree more! last thing yah want is the silly chicken dance bug where everyone has to be perfectly in line before they fire.

joreto's Avatar Tiro

I didn't mean FBR. I was thinking about implementing the 2 rank firing for the elite units only(which in the campaign will be given to the player as tech. instead of fire and advance).That way there will be no fps problems (because only 3-4 units will use the two rank firing drill) and the elites will be even more unique units
    Last edited by joreto; March 09, 2010 at 12:54 PM.
    &

Quote Originally Posted by joreto View Post
    I didn't mean FBR. I was thinking about implementing the 2 rank firing for the elite units only(which in the campaign will be given to the player as tech. instead of fire and advance).That way there will be no fps problems (because only 3-4 units will use the two rank firing drill) and the elites will be even more unique units
    Yes, I will upload a version tonight that does exactly that. It will be titled TotalCombatElitesOnlyTwoRankFire

Not a problem.

The Line of Thor

joreto's Avatar Tiro

Thank you I hope the others users of the mod will like that version too.
    &

Awesome, glad you changes the readme so people don't get mixed up

1 Question, what exactly wasn't taking effect with the .patch pack ? Just curious.

Davius's Avatar Senator

Hey, Thoragoros;

Loving the mod. Been playing with number of guns since they didn't seem to be scaling with unit sizes, ie. when i selected LARGE units in the Options menu, I'd still have 10 guns per atry unit.

I used the PFM to edit the guns and crew quantity (6 men per gun), however when I enter the game it always displays the wrong numers of guns AND crew in the campagin map and the battle setup but in the battle itself they appear to scale with SMALL, MED, LARGE and ULTRA.

Any idea why the wrong info?

Quote Originally Posted by Davius View Post
    Hey, Thoragoros;

Loving the mod. Been playing with number of guns since they didn't seem to be scaling with unit sizes, ie. when i selected LARGE units in the Options menu, I'd still have 10 guns per atry unit.

I used the PFM to edit the guns and crew quantity (6 men per gun), however when I enter the game it always displays the wrong numers of guns AND crew in the campagin map and the battle setup but in the battle itself they appear to scale with SMALL, MED, LARGE and ULTRA.

Any idea why the wrong info?
    As with any mod of this nature, it is a good idea to make sure that you don't have conflicting mods present in the data folder.

Is Total Combat the only mod pack you have in your data folder? Please make sure.

Playing with Total Combat, it is strongly recommended that you have the VANILLA preferences.script as opposed to an edited one.

Now, when Total Combat is properly installed, if you scale down the unit scale from Ultra to Large, the numbers of guns per arty should go from 10 to 7.

It is this part of the post that leads me to believe that you might have conflicting mods installed and/or an edited preferences script.

The Line of Thor

I can't decide now between you're mod and JaM's mod.

What are the major differences? I just can't decide which one to use.

Davius's Avatar Senator

As with any mod of this nature, it is a good idea to make sure that you don't have conflicting mods present in the data folder.

Is Total Combat the only mod pack you have in your data folder? Please make sure.

Playing with Total Combat, it is strongly recommended that you have the VANILLA preferences.script as opposed to an edited one.

Now, when Total Combat is properly installed, if you scale down the unit scale from Ultra to Large, the numbers of guns per arty should go from 10 to 7.

It is this part of the post that leads me to believe that you might have conflicting mods installed and/or an edited preferences script.
    I only have Radious sound mod and Notracers mod!

Let me set them all back and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by zorphon View Post
    I can't decide now between you're mod and JaM's mod.

What are the major differences? I just can't decide which one to use.
    Ouch! Man, that is really tough because I have a great deal of respect for JaM, and his mod is excellent work.

Let's see, well, for starters, JaM's mod is more focused on simply modding in historical/realism based aspects, whereas my mod is more about the 'spectacle' and giving the player a bit more 'freedom.'

With JaM's mod, I believe, the game will basically 'play' the same, and what I mean by this is that unit sizes will largely be at vanilla values (though he increases skirmishers and grens to 160) and the campaign will have only minor tweaks, which are, again, aimed largely towards realism as opposed to overhauling gameplay.

JaM wants to give the player an 'authentic' feel. I want to give the player a 'cinematic' feel.

In my Mod, I tend focus more towards simply increasing the level of 'combat.' I more than double the size of units across the board. JaM leaves the units sizes at 160. I have tweaked buildings and technologies to allow for larger, more numerous battles across the campaign map. JaM does not do this, he focuses, again, on Realism.

So, it really comes down to taste.

If you want realism and authenticity, go for JaM's mod.

If you want larger, more cinematic battles, and larger, more numerous battles on the campaign map, go with Total Combat.
    Last edited by Thoragoros; March 09, 2010 at 05:51 PM.

The Line of Thor

Ouch! Man, that is really tough because I have a great deal of respect for JaM, and his mod is excellent work.

Let's see, well, for starters, JaM's mod is more focused on simply modding in historical/realism based aspects, whereas my mod is more about the 'spectacle' and giving the player a bit more 'freedom.'

With JaM's mod, I believe, the game will basically 'play' the same, and what I mean by this is that unit sizes will largely be at vanilla values (though he increases skirmishers and grens to 160) and the campaign will have only minor tweaks, which are, again, aimed largely towards realism as opposed to overhauling gameplay.

JaM wants to give the player an 'authentic' feel. I want to give the player a 'cinematic' feel.

In my Mod, I tend focus more towards simply increasing the level of 'combat.' I more than double the size of units across the board. JaM leaves the units sizes at 160. I have tweaked buildings and technologies to allow for larger, more numerous battles across the campaign map. JaM does not do this, he focuses, again, on Realism.

So, it really comes down to taste.

If you want realism and authenticity, go for JaM's mod.

If you want larger, more cinematic battles, and larger, more numerous battles on the campaign map, go with Total Combat.
    You it is than!