Page 6 of 60 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast

Thread: BETA V: NAPOLEON: TOTAL COMBAT v4.0 (with 20, 30 & 40 stack army support!) MASSIVE 250+ Units Update!

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Napoleon: Total Combat, Thorized (UPDATED)

thanks for checking into it! i will try and lower my particle effects. the strangest thing is there is zero choppiness with the older version that i was using yesterday.

thanks again!!

update: turning down particle effects didnt help using the old version for now. it's probably just my PC. not much you can do if your system doesnt have the problem. hehe. thanks again for taking the time to check it out though!
    Last edited by gord96; March 07, 2010 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoragoros View Post
    Joreto, Gordo, I managed to recreate the 'choppiness.'

It has to do with the particle effects. I have always played with particle effects on 'High' because I didn't care for the 'cloud' effect above units that is created by ultra. I changed the particle effects to 'ultra' and I received the same 'choppiness' that everyone seems to be getting, but only if multiple units were firing on each other.

However, I was not satisfied, after all, it could still be unique to my mod. To check, I tried JaM's Napoleon Empire Realism, and through the preferences.script I set his units to 400 men per unit to match my mod. I then set up another battle with nothing but infantry on either side, and with particle effects on 'Ultra' I played the battle, and there was choppiness. With particle effects on high, there was none.

So this 'choppiness' is not unique to Total Combat.

I then proceeded to run a second test, I removed mass fire/skirmisher behavior, and this time kept particle effects on ultra. Even with 19 units of 400 men per unit per side and particle effects on ultra, again, there was no choppiness. The choppiness seems to come from the particle effects created by the massive firing.

This is the only way I can recreate the problem on either version of my mod.
    I wonder if there is anyway for you to tinker around with the particle effects or massive firing to have better performance.

On a side note, is it possible to make a FBR where you don't have to wait for the unit to be in formation to start firing?

joreto's Avatar Tiro

Yes for example you can introduce different firing skills to the different units classes (grenadiers, line infantry, elites, militia). For example only the elites will be able to use mass fire and that way there won't be any chopping and also the different clases will feel more unique
    &

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

Update.

Okay, I cross-refferenced the files of my mod pack (both versions) with the vanilla data.pack file with the help of a modder buddy from Nexus (not a tw related site), and the animations and fx files show no modification, as I suspected, because they are not in my mod pack to be changed.

At least now I know it is not animation or fx related and therefore can be fixed.

EDIT,

Hmm, perhaps you have a point Joreto, I could leave single rank firing for line infantry and militia and leave mass/two rank fire for grenadiers?
    Last edited by Thoragoros; March 07, 2010 at 11:12 PM.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

BrodY's Avatar Semisalis

Right. I decided to use your mod yesterday, and the following takes place:

I was playing russia, and everything was a smooth sail until the timespan was about to change from 1805 to 1806. CTD! I was horrified, since I had finally managed to play a good game with russia xD

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know and maybe others have had the same issue.

I tried reloading the game, start Napoleon again... nothing worked really.

Quote Originally Posted by BrodY View Post
    Right. I decided to use your mod yesterday, and the following takes place:

I was playing russia, and everything was a smooth sail until the timespan was about to change from 1805 to 1806. CTD! I was horrified, since I had finally managed to play a good game with russia xD

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know and maybe others have had the same issue.

I tried reloading the game, start Napoleon again... nothing worked really.
    That is one issue that I can assure you, from a technical point, has nothing to do with my mod.

If the changes I made, to the buildings, etc.. were to cause CTDs they would result in a 'black screen/load screen' crash, the sort of which would make the game either crash while starting up, or crash during battles. The changes I made would not make the game CTD during campaign play, despite effecting the campaign.

Are you using any startpos mods? Or have you made any startpos edits yourself?
    Last edited by Thoragoros; March 08, 2010 at 12:38 AM.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

The Line of Thor

joreto's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Thoragoros View Post
    Update.

Okay, I cross-refferenced the files of my mod pack (both versions) with the vanilla data.pack file with the help of a modder buddy from Nexus (not a tw related site), and the animations and fx files show no modification, as I suspected, because they are not in my mod pack to be changed.

At least now I know it is not animation or fx related and therefore can be fixed.

EDIT,

Hmm, perhaps you have a point Joreto, I could leave single rank firing for line infantry and militia and leave mass/two rank fire for grenadiers?
    Well for example you can make the line infantry with one rank firing, the light infantry with skirmish firing , the grenadiers fire by rank, the militia with one rank firing and the elite units with two ranks firing.
    &

Have you considered changing the amount of cannons in a unit? It seems to me that 10 cannons per unit is a bit extreme, as the enemy faction often employs 4 units of them. 40 cannons on a battlefield with 4500 men in the enemy army amounts to Napoleon having almost the double amount of cannons that he had at Austerlitz.

It also makes it much harder to deploy them on hiltops et cetera, without some shooting your own men, or some shooting into the ground.

Maybe you could change their effectiveness and put 5-6 cannons in each unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Cozur View Post
    Have you considered changing the amount of cannons in a unit? It seems to me that 10 cannons per unit is a bit extreme, as the enemy faction often employs 4 units of them. 40 cannons on a battlefield with 4500 men in the enemy army amounts to Napoleon having almost the double amount of cannons that he had at Austerlitz.

It also makes it much harder to deploy them on hiltops et cetera, without some shooting your own men, or some shooting into the ground.

Actually, I increased the cannons to scale with the new unit sizes.

CA had 4 cannons per battery with units at 160 men per 'regiment.' That scales to 1 cannon per 40 soldiers. Therefore, to keep that ratio, I had to increase cannons to 10 per battery since units are now at 400 men.

If I didn't increase the number of cannons per battery, a unit of artillery would be useless.

In order to increase thier efficacy to scale with the new unit sizes I would have to more than double their kill rate. While I love lethal cannons, that would look and feel a little silly, given that the cannons already have a very effective kill rate.

The Line of Thor

i think the large amount of cannon is one of the strengths of this mod.

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

Very good mod.
    I need help.
    1-N:TW Have Smoke Effect? Becouse I can play the game in medium, and somethings HD. And i dont see ani Smoke.
    2-This mod is great, But the Fire Effect (3 Ranks fire) make the sound Explode XD. So, I need to Know if I can take of this mod only the IA,And the Extra numbers of soldiers. It`s posible?
    3-The Soldiers mobe rearly, like freezing, but isn´t my computer. Can be Other mods? like La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham mods?
    Last edited by Choki; March 08, 2010 at 08:59 AM.

Thoragoros,

A possible solution to the 10 guns unit is to reduce the spacing between the guns ? I like to keep the scale as is to make things balance.

The choppiness of animation fix. Didnt help. Increased my fps though. Yet in odd periods where there was no change at all in formation or camera angle, it would go choppy randomly. I alligned 20 units of 400 regiment line inantry opposite 20 enemy line infantry regiments. Fps was fine, even when I viewed the battle, starinmg down the center of the firing line between the two sides.

I believe its tracer fire, as the TF began to have black spots in them as they flew across, distorting the battlefield.
    Last edited by Mr. Os; March 08, 2010 at 09:28 AM.
    Supporter of Facial Hair for extra Manliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Os View Post
    The choppiness of animation fix. Didnt help. Increased my fps though. Yet in odd periods where there was no change at all it would go choppy. I alligned 20 units of 400 regiment line inantry opposite 20 enemy line infantry regiments. Fps was fine, even when I viwed the battle, starinmg down the center of the firing line between the two sides.

I believe its tracer fire.
    sounds similar to my problem. did you have the problem with the older version from Friday? that's the weirdest part. I get ZERO choppy animations with the older version.

Quote Originally Posted by gord96 View Post
    sounds similar to my problem. did you have the problem with the older version from Friday? that's the weirdest part. I get ZERO choppy animations with the older version.
    There was a version from Friday? I've been using the first version. Havent updated yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Os View Post
    There was a version from Friday? I've been using the first version. Havent updated yet.
    i downloaded it on Friday. it may have been the first version. when did you download the mod?

The choppiness is a result of the massfire/tworank fire alongside the larger unit sizes. As I said, when I put etra strain on my machine I was able to recreate the problem as well.

I will be releasing a version that removes the extra firing from line infantry and militia, this will remove the problem, but again, only the fir rank will be firing.

The Line of Thor

Quote Originally Posted by gord96 View Post
    i downloaded it on Friday. it may have been the first version. when did you download the mod?
    Friday aswell, man it hasnt been that long.

Anywho, tried the same situation with 300 men per regiment. No choppiness. 12,000 men simultaniously firing runs fine. but 15,000, too far, haha!

Dont mind tbh, I played ETW at 150 men per regiment. More is an improvement.
    Last edited by Mr. Os; March 08, 2010 at 09:44 AM.

Default Re: Napoleon: Total Combat, Thorized (UPDATE coming)

I am not extremely confused with the 3 different versions. Could you enlighten me?

Default Re: Napoleon: Total Combat, Thorized (UPDATE coming)

Quote Originally Posted by zorphon View Post
    I am not extremely confused with the 3 different versions. Could you enlighten me?
    The first version, entitle 'Mass Fire' enables all ranks of an infantry formation to fire at once.

The second version entitled 'Two Rank Fire' enables only the first two ranks to fire at once, with the ranks behind the second line only firing occasionally. Much more historic, and much easier on FPS.

The third version is entitled PATCHED and is the same as 'Two Rank Fire' except the file type is a patch pack file, and there are some very minor tweaks which were an attempt to deal with the choppy animations that some users were experiencing.

The Line of Thor