Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Borodino HELP!

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Icon4 Battle of Borodino HELP!

So guys I got to Borodino in Napoleon's Battles on Hard.
    I failed about 4 times so I busted the difficulty down to Normal. However even now I still struggle to suceed.
    I have whittled the problem down to those bloody Unicorns which tear up ANYTHING that go near it.

So can I get ANY help on this one?!

Default Re: Battle of Borodino HELP!

I finished all nappy battle in gold. In Borodino you need to send the light inf go for the 20lber unicorn that you can shoot beside the river
    Then gather army take the middle hill then the Victory is yours.

Here is my gold win (my english isnt good sorry)

left side - there are 2 inf and 2 cavarly - I sent cuirassiers to east - they will kill Kutuzov after russian cavarly counterattack. I sent the light cavarly to middle they will kill the 10-lber unicorn.

Middle - i sent the light infantry (chasseurs) to the river (opposite 20-lber unicorn) they can reach the unicorn but they will die if you dont do a light cavarly attack agains unicorn. So i attack with lancers and dragoons (lancers faster then dragoons so they will die first lol) against unicorn. They will die but they make time to light infantry so they can shoot the 20 lber unicorn.

You have 2 line inf 1 light inf and 1 grenadiers on middle they will attack against 10 lber unicorn (and the light cavarly) So soon as they arrived you have to attack (at this time you will heavy fight at right side so you have to controll both attack at same time) send 2 infantry to left side of the hill and make squeare formation (need 2 because unicorn will kill one if you place them right they can shoot both the cavarly and the genadiers on the top of the hill). Light infantry (and if your other infantry is lived) kill the grenadiers on the hill. You dont have much time the 10 lber unicorn will kill fast As soon as the way is clear to the hill attack with light cavary and destroy the unicorn.
    You will lose 4 infantry and a cavarly but the russians also will lose 2 cavarly and an infantry and an unicorn.

Right side - i attack the 6 lber artillery and musketers with two light infs but need a grenadiers also because you will get a cavarly attack so you have to protect your light infs with a square formation.

After you killed the 2 unicorns and 1 arti you only have to kill the remains russians units with Napoleon rally boost and your 2 remains artillerys and other units.
    Last edited by Langoss; March 07, 2010 at 12:11 AM.

TheAussieDigger's Avatar Ducenarius

of all the ones ive done so far borodino i think has been the hardest simply because the 20-pdr unicorns are quite overpowered atm

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Thanks guys I beat it this morning.....

how do you use the French artillery? shooting the unicorns or their cav? my light inf got massacred by their cav ...
    Men are nothing, One Man is everything.
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

TheAussieDigger's Avatar Ducenarius

i tried to go for the art on the redoubt initially but they kep missing, something wrong with the angles. so i switched to the art and infantry on the fleches and that worked very well

the cav shouldnt be a problem at all if u support the lights with line inf

valentinian's Avatar Libertus

There is no point shooting the artillery on the redoubts. You'll miss 9 out of 10; by the time you hit something, the unicorns will have already destroyed your artillery.

On gold difficulty, this battle comes down to how quickly you can take out 1) the unicorns and 2) the other artillery pieces. Once they're down, your superior infantry can easily mop up their Russian counterparts. Wait too long and your infantry will be too beaten and demoralized to fight. The 20-lber unicorn can be hit by chasseurs, and it will only take a few volleys even on Gold to take them out. The 10-lber on the redoubt will require a suicide charge. Have a unit or two of infantry distract the Russian line infantry on the ramp, move your cav from the left flank to the center and punch through as soon as the opposing infantry is engaged (and while his Cossack reinforcements are still en route). Head directly for the artilleries and take both out; withdraw the cavalry if you still have any left after that, but they'll probably die.

Forget the left flank; unless you're a micromanagement god, you can't worry about all three tactical areas at once. The grenadiers and light infantry opposing your left will rout once you smash the rest of the Russian army on the redoubts and kill Kutuzov. Pull your men back to support the center.

On the right, wheel your cavalry about the opposing musketeers on the far right, via the forest. Have your infantry engage theirs and charge them in the back with your cav. Quickly move to engage the life guards protecting the artillery; when the guards are engaged and their reinforcements are still en route, have your cav charge the artillery piece and take them out. Withdraw everyone once the artillery goes down, if you still have any left.

If you pull this off, the battle is all but won. Regroup all your infantry in the center. If you still have your own artillery alive (and you should, if you acted quickly against the opposing artillery), you can bombard the redoubts for awhile before taking it. Set up your own artillery on the redoubt and finish off the Russians piecemeal.

thanks, i'll give it another try.
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

got cut to pieces
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

cmon guys Borodino is one of the easiest battles in the game... all you have to do is take all your inf and send them to take the town on the left flank, leave all your cav on the right flank... as soon as you take the town the AI will shift to retake the town, thats when you charge the cav on your right flank to take out all the cannon and uniguns

PS make sure your cannon are firing the whole time this will make the AI focus the uniguns on your cannon and not your troops

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Bricommander View Post
    I finished all nappy battle in gold. In Borodino you need to send the light inf go for the 20lber unicorn that you can shoot beside the river
    Then gather army take the middle hill then the Victory is yours.
    Tried it, still very hard but not impossible.

Hard difficultly was too hard, normal was too easy for some reason

Use your cavalry and Polish dudes to flank the Russians, sned some cannon-fodder in the centre for the Unicorns (your own cannons would be perfect). In the same time, take Borodino (the village) with the Swiss and keep the Cuirassiers as reserve. Then just kick the Unicorns with the Cuirassiers, while you attack the cosssacks and grenadiers with your fusiliers and chasseurs.

Far the hardest battle for me too.
    [Col] RO Citizen

Bobby the Huntsman's Avatar Civis

Yes, it is very hard on hard, but i have managed to complete it. All you have to do is mass all your forces on the right side on the map and roll down the flank eliminating units one at a time. It is tedious and you must be quick but it worked for me =)

Those Unicorns DON'T MISS A SHOT in Very Hard! I had 5 groups of infantry routing just cause of them!

And MY artillery is completely unuseful....
    My Mods:
    Earth 35 Civilizations Mod v2.5 Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond The Sword 3.19
    Modular United Mods v1.3 Sid Meier's Colonization 1.01
    Two Sicilies Mod v1.0 Europa Universalis III DW5.2 - Death&Taxes Mod 9.1

My AAR:
    King Etgar the Conqueror AAR Medieval II Total War Stainless Steel 6.4

I just played this one on Normal and it was pretty easy. I sent most of my left side units to take the town on the left, then held it defensively as the Russians tried to take it back, losing a lot of their units. While doing that, I sent my right side units and most of my cavalry all the way to the right flank to wrap around the artillery. Most of the Russian units were busy trying to take back the left town, that they were weak on the right.

I finally did this in VH!!!

Used 2 light infantry for the 2nd Artillery from left. It was a massacre but I killed unicorn.

Then make a HUGE line down the hill where unicorns are and send JUST ONE of them behind the river. Once all enemies are chargin you attack them.

Then charge on the hill and kill unicorns. Then Kill enemy general and Finish the work. WAS REALLY HARD BTW.
    My Mods:
    Earth 35 Civilizations Mod v2.5 Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond The Sword 3.19
    Modular United Mods v1.3 Sid Meier's Colonization 1.01
    Two Sicilies Mod v1.0 Europa Universalis III DW5.2 - Death&Taxes Mod 9.1

My AAR:
    King Etgar the Conqueror AAR Medieval II Total War Stainless Steel 6.4

The Spaniard's Avatar Civis

Wow, I finally beat this battle on very hard, it was very hard mind you.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

I just flanked around their sides.

Prince of Darkness's Avatar Campidoctor

You need to pause every second in this battle: You may suddenly lost ten units without knowing what are they doing!!!! First, press pause and unlimber your artillery while push your infantry toward the Great Redoubt (Oh, and put ALL your chasseurs into light infantry behaviour and try to thin your line infantry's ranks as thin as possible) while using the Polish Legion and Murat's cavalry to flank the Bagration fleches. Meanwhile, Eugene's corps (the Swiss foot and the Cuirassier) should attack at the same time. Don't concentrate on one front too often, keep your eyes on the mini-map!!!

Would you, Gentlemen, provide me with some advice, if I may ask? That redoubt in the middle, hence the 10-lber unicorn is becoming quite frustrating on Very Hard. I have tried literally everything you mentioned before, nothing worked. One of your victorious replays could be of great use, if you do not mind. Or any good idea what-so-ever. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast