Thread: Removing the visor from the old guard bearskin hat

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

Hello, I'm trying to achieve this as I'd really like to remove the visor from the bearskin hat of the old guard, otherwise it's just not them.

I was thinking of using these methods from Empire Total War:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=238847
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...+alpha+texture

Found the place where hats textures are stored (variantmodels1) but now I'm not too sure of how I can change this...

The texture of the old guard bearskin hat is located there: "variantmodels\unitparts\euro\hats\french_bearskin_frontplate\tex" in Variantmodels2. I was able to open it in photoshop but the layers seem to be locked. Trying to find a way to unlock them to get access to the alpha layer...

Edit: it was simpler than I thought, I was just supposed to go in the channel tab, not the layer one.

Now I'm goin to try and see if I can get rid of this annoying visor...

So, I was able to delete the visor (I think) by painting it black in the alpha channel, but I can't save the DDS as I have this message: "Image width and height must be multiple of four". I used the same options that work in ETW to save it.

I don't know why it doesn't work and I guess that if I try to resize the image, it won't fit anymore on the 3D model of the hat?
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; March 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: triple post

Default Re: Removing the visor from the old guard bearskin hat

Thats not the right file. All the French textures will be located in the variantmodels/atlas directory in one single .dds file for every unit... Those individual files seem to be for the unit editor they plan on releasing.

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

Thanks a lot for your help, I won't waste my time anymore on this and will go straight to the atlas directory then. ^^

One quick question: once I manage to edit the texture (if I do succeed), how do i get it back into a pack? I used "replace file" but I guess a "mod pack" for this would be better, but I don't really know how to do it.

Edit: well, I'm still far away from succeeding though, as Gimp and Photoshop won't save in dds format because the width and height of the image is not a multiple of 4. Is there a way to avoid this problem?
    Last edited by Leoben; March 02, 2010 at 09:35 AM.

Here try this

It's not ideal as the visor overlaps the bearskin in the texture file - so it leaves a small see through patch on the top of the hat. Until a model converter comes out though i don't think you can get around it

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

Wow, you did this so fast? :p

By using Photoshop and DXTBmp, I was able to add a moustache to Napoleon, just to be sure I was able to modify a DDS file. My next stop was to try and delete the visor, but thanks! ^^

Yeah not too long... it wasn't such a hard job hehe

You can modify them just fine - It's just a nightmare working out which part of the texture corresponds to which unit etc

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

I posted it in the mod WiP section, as I had asked for a mod like this here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Mongsworth View Post
    It's not ideal as the visor overlaps the bearskin in the texture file - so it leaves a small see through patch on the top of the hat. Until a model converter comes out though i don't think you can get around it
    I wonder how the game is able to make the difference when two textures overlap like that... How does it know what belongs to the top of the hat and what belongs to the visor?

Not too sure mate, but I imagine the fact that the colours are all the same and it is only a tiny area means that no one will really notice...

Either that or it is all sorted out in the modelling program when they are designing the units

interesting thread. One DDS per faction with all units textures on it. It means it's impossible for the modders to add a new unit in the game ?
    Try the Napoleonic Mod for ETW

It seems that there are individual textures and model parts included in the pack files... but of course without the unit editor from CA these are all useless at the moment.

Hopefully when we can view the new db files some light will be shed on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Mongsworth View Post
    It seems that there are individual textures and model parts included in the pack files... but of course without the unit editor from CA these are all useless at the moment.

Hopefully when we can view the new db files some light will be shed on the matter.
    U sure ? it would be strange, why they would use both individual textures and this global one together ?
    Try the Napoleonic Mod for ETW

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

Lord Mongsworth said earlier in the thread that the invidiual textures could be for the uniform editor, which makes sense.

Sir Nicholas Altman's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Leoben View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to achieve this as I'd really like to remove the visor from the bearskin hat of the old guard, otherwise it's just not them.

I was thinking of using these methods from Empire Total War:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=238847
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...+alpha+texture

Found the place where hats textures are stored (variantmodels1) but now I'm not too sure of how I can change this...

The texture of the old guard bearskin hat is located there: "variantmodels\unitparts\euro\hats\french_bearskin_frontplate\tex" in Variantmodels2. I was able to open it in photoshop but the layers seem to be locked. Trying to find a way to unlock them to get access to the alpha layer...

Edit: it was simpler than I thought, I was just supposed to go in the channel tab, not the layer one.

Now I'm goin to try and see if I can get rid of this annoying visor...

So, I was able to delete the visor (I think) by painting it black in the alpha channel, but I can't save the DDS as I have this message: "Image width and height must be multiple of four". I used the same options that work in ETW to save it.

I don't know why it doesn't work and I guess that if I try to resize the image, it won't fit anymore on the 3D model of the hat?
    So Leoben did you make it in the end?