Page 2 of 208 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars the Old Republic - Official Thread

Default Re: Star Wars the Old Republic - Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Well since there wont be roleplay I really wont care about it, the game hardly exists to me.

And I said Jedi, not force sensitive.
    Well, why can't Jedi wear armor? There's no restrictions against armor in their code, is it?
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

I dont really like the style either. Jedi should not wear armor. It looks rediculous. Many styles of prequel robes would have been better and make them far more recognizable as jedi.
    They wore armor in the previous KOTOR games as well.
    Naturally some armor restricted your ability to use force powers but there were also jedi-specific armor that gave you protection at the same time as it allowed you to use force powers.
    If it will cost me monthly, I want roleplay enforcement for that. Otherwise there is no point in playing the game. Why would I want to play a game thats just about running around and killing stuff, gathering loot and getting experience?
    Except SWTOR will be more focused on story and choice just like in other Bioware games.
    You can always RP even in a game where you run around and kill stuff.

Why? Last time I checked, Bioware has stepped into the DLC business. Those folks are in it for the profit and that's why they are making an MMORPG.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    They wore armor in the previous KOTOR games as well.
    Naturally some armor restricted your ability to use force powers but there were also jedi-specific armor that gave you protection at the same time as it allowed you to use force powers.

Except SWTOR will be more focused on story and choice just like in other Bioware games.
    You can always RP even in a game where you run around and kill stuff.
    Yes, you can definetly RP in a game where you run around and murder things. Even when the devs apparently ignores RP and focuses on the causal/hardcore pvp'ers, you can still roleplay. Just ask this bunch at Star Wars Galaxies...

http://chimaera-european.org/wiki/Outmian_Yakta
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

Hotspur's Avatar I've got reach.
    Patrician

This is Bioware, where game design starts and ends with story.

And, may I add, SWG was made by Sony...SWTOR is being made by Bioware. They have made their games so good that they would be the only people I trust with this game.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by RVFVS View Post
    Bioware. They have made their games so good that they would be the only people I trust with this game.
    they are good at games where the story is a main component, where your character really is a someone, where your companions are fun to talk to, where quests are complex.

none of these happen in an mmo. I'm sure they'll try doing "something" in this direction, but the fact is you are one of many nobodies, doing quests for xp.

they might pull an "avatar" in the end. So much hype around this game, the very idea of bioware(james cameron) working on it, and as a bonus a huge fanbase that is drooling all over the concept... this doesn't mean the game will be good though.
    No.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

You cant roleplay everywhere, I am spoiled by Neverwinter Nights.

One idiot running around with weapons drawn while shouting random stuff in L33t is enough to kill any shred of immersion.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

One idiot running around with weapons drawn while shouting random stuff in L33t is enough to kill any shred of immersion.
    Oh with practice you can learn to ignore those.
    And you can role-play everywhere in most MMOs. Only in PVP-servers where it's FFA rules where that becomes a problem like in AoC.
    But most RP-servers are PVE so you don't have to worry about that.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by blank View Post
    Yeah i think a lot of people (all who played KOTORs, basically) would prefer a single player game. I might be interested a bit if the graphical style and combat weren't so childish, but as it is, i'll pass.
    One can hope that after the main game is complete the team will delegate expansions and such to someone else and start making K3.
    Not really. Most people I see in the MMO market are looking forward to this. And that's where they will be getting their players.

Also, the style is similar to WoW, which, is doing quite well.

Also, they've said this will pretty much be KotOR 3-10. And will have a subscription, though they have not said how much. I'd estimate $15, maybe a but less if you buy more than one month at a time.

It really depends on how large the maps are. If they're small instanced maps like the other KOTOR's, then I suppose it might become a problem.

I guess BioWare will give you dedicated RP servers if that's the case. If it ends up being huge planets like it's in SWG then they don't have any reason to create dedicated RP servers, as the current servers has more than enough 'hiding-places' were you can RP in peace.

Bill Shankly

I played Neverwinter Nights however, and because of that I am quite spoiled when it comes to roleplay.

There you dont need hiding places, you just need a server that enforces roleplay, admins and dungeon masters can do that. They can bann anyone that acts like an idiot.
    It also allowed players being part of plots, players building their own houses and areas and sending them in to be used in the module and extensive armor and clothing customization, allowing you to create the style that suits your character.

I played Neverwinter Nights however, and because of that I am quite spoiled when it comes to roleplay.

There you dont need hiding places, you just need a server that enforces roleplay, admins and dungeon masters can do that. They can bann anyone that acts like an idiot.
    It also allowed players being part of plots, players building their own houses and areas and sending them in to be used in the module and extensive armor and clothing customization, allowing you to create the style that suits your character.
    That sounds like SWG, minus the 'role-play' enforcement. But then again most people there is courteous enough to leave RP'ers alone so long as they don't hang out in major hubs, such as Mos Eisley. Mos Entha had a large RP community before.

Bill Shankly

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

I'd guess it will be like WoW and have PvE-based worlds (Or realms, whatever they will call them), PvP-based worlds, and roleplaying ones.

As far as I know Bioware would prefer roleplaying so they will most likely support it way better than World of Warcraft, if only in the lore.

D&D is roleplaying, and seeing how they made three dungeons and dragons games including one that was the ultimate roleplaying playground it would be safe to assume Bioware has quite some people in its staff that personly like to roleplay.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Kenobi wears armor in Clone Wars

ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Erhm mentioning a children's cartoon is not exactly helping your cause.. The very way it is drawn looks hideous.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Erhm mentioning a children's cartoon is not exactly helping your cause.. The very way it is drawn looks hideous.
    Its very canonical, actually.

You obviously haven't seen it at all...

The style alone looks hideous, It does not look like something for a 12+ audience.

The style alone looks hideous, It does not look like something for a 12+ audience.
    I agree with you, stylistically it looks hideous and I could never watch it myself, but it's still canonical since Mr. Lucas says so.

Besides, Exar K'un etc. wears different armors. I don't see how armor with restricted force powers won't end up being canonical/iconic/whatever you want to call it. It will perhaps even be balanced, who knows.

Bill Shankly