Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: (broken) RTW Modelling Video Tutorials 1-5 Released

Default Re: RTW Modelling Video Tutorials 1-3 Released

whaaaaat???
    somehow the fourth video doesnt really work
    but i only need one last thing to know: how can i make the uvw mapping on the new helmet in the tutorial? because i did a helmet in a similar way and now dunno how to make the mapping for it .
    Mentee to MasterOfThessus

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Thank you very much!

EDIT do buildings require UV mapping aswell? probably yes

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Windseller
    whaaaaat???
    somehow the fourth video doesn't really work
    but i only need one last thing to know: how can i make the uvw mapping on the new helmet in the tutorial? because i did a helmet in a similar way and now dunno how to make the mapping for it .
    It's the same as for the shield, you select the figure( right click and select top level, click on figure) now things get a bit complicated, in the modifier stack skin is at the top, now i'm going off the top of my head here, you have to add a uv to the stack, when you've done this click on every part of the helmet on the model, it should all show as red, now in the uv window the areas you've selected should be red as well, right click and select break, this will detach the uv map parts of the helmet from the rest of the head. then as with the shield
    select normal mapping but now you want left and right, this should give you the two halves of the helmet, now it gets fiddly but you just need to fit them to your texture, I've never really had to do this so maybe there's an easier way. it might be better if you put up a screen shot of your model and the texture so we can see what your trying to do. there's to much to learn without being specific

When you've edited the texture and your happy with it you have to put the skin mod at the top of the stack, now if you haven't already you have to weight the verticles, this is where your going to start screaming like a little girl and banging your head off the wall.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; December 12, 2007 at 05:17 PM.

woah thank you very much hs that was very useful and helped me a lot but to exactly paint the helmet i would need to unwrap the uvw not only create a perspective view wich you might see in the picture

hehe maybe you might recognize that im a wc3 freak :laughing:

whaaaaat???
    somehow the fourth video doesnt really work
    Seems like you're right. You can't extract it from the .zip file right? I'm uploading another zip, which is a bit larger but 'extractable'. Not that you'll need it anymore, seems like Halie explained it quite good already, but it might come in handy ( you never know ).

Woah thank you very much hs that was very useful and helped me a lot but to exactly paint the helmet i would need to unwrap the uvw not only create a perspective view wich you might see in the picture
    Actually, a perspective view is good enough. You can just stretch the edges a bit further left/right to make it look better, but other than that there shouldn't be any problems with a left view of the UVW. Professor420 even uses a UVW like that in his fourth video.
    Proud member of Rise of Persia
    ROP Faction Preview: Thrakian Bessoi
    ROP Faction Preview: Persia

Under the honourable and illuminating patronage of Perikles , reputable son of imb39 in the house of Wilpuri

hehe thank you Goscino ill try it and now the model looks even better i have deleted the stupid edges that all go to the one one vertex near the jaw guard an now it might be a bit easier to do like you told me to do
    big thanks to all you guys who spent time in explaining me the problems i think now i know what to do :wink:
    ah and hs good luck with your mod i can only repeat that im looking forwar to it

hehe thank you Goscino ill try it and now the model looks even better i have deleted the stupid edges that all go to the one one vertex near the jaw guard an now it might be a bit easier to do like you told me to do
    big thanks to all you guys who spent time in explaining me the problems i think now i know what to do :wink:
    ah and hs good luck with your mod i can only repeat that im looking forwar to it
    Glad I was able to help, and if there's anything still not clear, I'll do my best to help you out.
    Prof's fourth tutorial ( this one should work ):

link

Under the honourable and illuminating patronage of Perikles , reputable son of imb39 in the house of Wilpuri

Blog Entries

Ahh i'm feeling alot of in this thread over the last couple of days. i'm glad it's had some life breathed back into it. hopefully it will continue, :laughing: each Verticle must have one bone weight. each Verticle must........

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Buildings dont require any vertice weighting do they?

hehe im not really getting fast forward but here are some pictures of the model i made... the footman:
    front:

right:

not really much but im proud because i never modelled before

Blog Entries

Everyone who has learned 3d max, though tutorials here and at the org, knows it's not easy, There's nothing wrong with wanting to tell everyone about your achivments, i did, :wink: :laughing:

Quote Originally Posted by halie satanus
    Everyone who has learned 3d max, though tutorials here and at the org, knows it's not easy, There's nothing wrong with wanting to tell everyone about your achivments, i did, :wink: :laughing:
    As did everybody I guess.

The model looks great by the way, but I'd scale the sword up a little more if I were you, seems a bit small compared to your reference picture. Other than that everything looks notably similar, so Great Job!

Blog Entries

Yes we like big swords. and Yes looking good, oh and i forgot to mention prof, i don't know how many moddellers were working before his video's, but i bet there's a hell of a lot more since. Hail Prof. where ever you are.

Oh and buildings, as far as i know all shapes created in max have verticles. i think the best person to ask would be signiferone. :wink:

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

This is my Meduseld from lord of the rings, what do you think?

Oh and buildings, as far as i know all shapes created in max have verticles. i think the best person to ask would be signiferone. :wink:
    As far as I know you just have to link you're object to the scene root, as there aren't any other bones for buildings.

Your building looks amazing by the way, so now just link everything to the scene root.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mac89
    WOW very nice,

One little tip i can add, that may well be common knowlage, when weighting verticles you don't need to open the weights table and do them individually, you can after selecting a group (say, head),

tip; Set abs to zero, hit enter, and then set it to 1, and hit enter again. any selected verts are weighted instantly. i've got max 8 i don't know if that works with earlier versions, but it does save some time and agro
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; April 28, 2006 at 08:23 PM.

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

purdy
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

WOW very nice,

One little tip i can add, that may well be common knowlage, when weighting verticles you don't need to open the weights table and do them individually, you can after selecting a group (say, head),

tip; Set abs to zero, hit enter, and then set it to 1, and hit enter again. any selected verts are weighted instantly. i've got max 8 i don't know if that works with earlier versions, but it does save some time and agro
    Thanks for the tip, pretty nOOb at this.

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Is there gonna be a 6th tutorial? and if there is whats it about?

Is there gonna be a 6th tutorial? and if there is whats it about?
    This is what Prof planned to do:

4- UV Mapping
    5- Basic Layout/Texturing
    6- Rigging
    7- Lighting/Rendering/Exporting

But I don't think he'll make these, as he isn't actively modding RTW anymore. I think.