Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Larger Unit Sizes/Bigger Battles.

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

Icon2 Larger Unit Sizes/Bigger Battles.

Tutorial Purpose: Larger Unit Sizes.

Okay, I've been asked how to do this a couple of times, and in the face of such great modders residing here at TWC, I actually feel a little funny posting something this simple, but here it goes.

To make units larger in NTW you will need to open a file called preferences.script. You don't need any tools for this, just Notepad or something equiviliant.

1) The file can be found at {Your Computer's Name}/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Napoleon/scripts
    No, I don't know the XP equivilant

Please note that AppData is set as a hidden folder. So you may need to make hidden files viewable, which can be done through Folder Options in the Control Panel. The Preferences file may also be set to 'Read Only,' if so you will have to change this.

2) Open preferences.script with notepad, and then look for a line entitled campaign_unit_multiplier

Unedited, the line should read, I believe,

campaign_unit_multiplier 1; # campaign_unit_multiplier <float>, Set default unit multiplier for campaign #

Now, change the '1' to 2.5, and you will get units that are 2.5 times larger. So a 160 man unit is now a 400 man unit.

However, if things are the same as ETW, which I believe they are but I haven't tested it, all numbers up to 4 work except for 1.1, 1.3, 1.4, and 2. Alsoartillery batteries will remain with only 4 guns of strength. This only effects the number of 'bodies' in a unit.

3) You will next need to change a line entitled gfx_unit_scale

Make sure your line looks like this,

gfx_unit_scale 3; # gfx_unit_scale <int>, Set unit scale. 0 - lowest, 3 - ultra #

What this does is set the scale of units when your unit scale is set on 'Ultra.'

That's it, enjoy your larger battles.

NOTE:

If your unit numbers reset, Hazbones put it very nicely,

Quote Originally Posted by Hazbones View Post
    1. Install NTW + update it + unlock extras, etc.
    2. Launch the game
    3. Go to Game Options and set your game, audio, graphics preferences
    4. Quit the game without starting any play
    5. Now locate your preference script and follow post #1 in this thread
    6. After you make the changes to the preference script as in post #1 save your changes and close the file.
    7. Now right-click on the preference script file and go to properties.
    8. Set the Attributes of the file to "Read Only" by checking the box at the bottom of the properties box
    9. Make sure to click on "Apply" before you click on Ok to close the properties box
    10. Launch NTW
    11. DO NOT go back into options and fiddle with anything. Doing so will screw up your preferences again
    PS,

I am not responsible for any lag this may result in, nor in the possible frying of your graphics card. *note of obvious sarcasm*

And while we're at it, wy not post some screens of what real battles should look like? Got an impressive battle with the new numbers? Please post it!
    Last edited by Thoragoros; March 03, 2010 at 05:20 PM.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

Default Re: Tutorial: Larger Unit Sizes/Bigger Battles.

Thanks a lot, I feared that we can t do it,I used to do that for ETW, and I will do that as soon as I have the game, rep+

Working fine for me, thanks alot!!!

guys,some screens with huge size???

Thanks man, I appreciate it

Don't know whats going on but it seems to default back to ultra armies now and can't get the 400 men unit anymore

you will have to go back to the file and change the multiply factor again. and save it. once you go back to the game, don't click the unit size selection anymore, as it will change the size back. you might also wants to make the preference file "read only", it may prevent it to change back to default.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogu3granny View Post
    Don't know whats going on but it seems to default back to ultra armies now and can't get the 400 men unit anymore
    If you change the 'Ultra' unit scale setting, you will need to redo the changes as this resets the file or some such thing.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

The Line of Thor

Civis

Unit with troops more than 400 can not form square, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Srisiam View Post
    Unit with troops more than 400 can not form square, eh?
    They can still form squares, they just form 'larger' squares.

The Line of Thor

great post. Thank you for the tips. I was able to make my new recruits but I still only have 4 cannon in a battery. What specific number affects the number in that line?

Quote Originally Posted by Chirurgeon View Post
    great post. Thank you for the tips. I was able to make my new recruits but I still only have 4 cannon in a battery. What specific number affects the number in that line?
    Changing the number of cannons in a battery requires access to the units in the data.pack file, in ETW it was possible to access that file via the DBE, but until the DBE is updated, accessing it is not possible.

The Line of Thor

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

I am spoiled rotten from playing with DMUC so the bigger unit sizes was a must. Thanks.

I wanted to add a little bit of info here for the non-modder types like me...
    Install NTW + update it + unlock extras, etc.
    Launch the game
    Set your game, audio, graphics preferences
    Quit the game without starting any play
    Now locate your preference script and follow post #1 in this thread
    Once you do all of post #1 save the preferences script file and then change the properties of that file to "Read Only".
    That will preserve the unit size adjustment without having to keep fiddling with the file.

*NOTE: to make further changes to your game preferences, you need to remove the "Read Only" from the preference script file properties. Failing to do this will make you have to adjust your game settings each time you close/open the game.

I find that the multiplier of 1.25 seems to be the best choice for Ultra, at least with the fact that on it your line infantry are 200 men and with that number if you fully stretch the line out they automatically form a neat, 2 rank deep line.

for 300 men for unit,what value shoul i write?

Hi.
    Uhh, this trick not work by me..
    If ichanged the preferences text like in first post( sure saved after action), then i go to custom battle(just for controll unit large) i see te unit only minimum soldiers...Then i go to opcions and set units to ultra, but i have the default size max 160 men in troop. I set preferences to read only and i see the value like #1, #2 step.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

After helping dozens of people with this for Empire,i cannot find my own Napoleon Script (and i have enabled the hidden maps search btw)

im using XP,can anyone help me out here ?
    may thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Hunor View Post
    Hi.
    If ichanged the preferences text like in first post( sure saved after action), then i go to custom battle(just for controll unit large) i see te unit only minimum soldiers...Then i go to opcions and set units to ultra, but i have the default size max 160 men in troop. I set preferences to read only and i see the value like #1, #2 step.
    Okay, first and foremost, you cannot change your unit sizes after you do this, as I said, because it resets the script file. If you change the units after you change the script then you must redo the script for larger unit sizes.

Try this, make sure that you have units set to ultra. Then make the changes.

The Line of Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Hunor View Post
    Hi.
    1. Install NTW + update it + unlock extras, etc.
    2. Launch the game
    3. Go to Game Options and set your game, audio, graphics preferences
    4. Quit the game without starting any play
    5. Now locate your preference script and follow post #1 in this thread
    6. After you make the changes to the preference script as in post #1 save your changes and close the file.
    7. Now right-click on the preference script file and go to properties.
    8. Set the Attributes of the file to "Read Only" by checking the box at the bottom of the properties box
    9. Make sure to click on "Apply" before you click on Ok to close the properties box
    10. Launch NTW
    11. DO NOT go back into options and fiddle with anything. Doing so will screw up your preferences again

I did this and have gone 10 turns last night with my changes for 400 man line infantry units and the developer's camera before I had to go to bed. No problems at all in a single player world domination campaign game. I did not play multi player or custom battles so I cannot vouch for this working in those situations. Anyone else?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast