Thread: Faster Performance

Default Faster Performance

Aside from the obvious and expensive solution of upgrading my laptop (and I don't need to be reminded that a laptop isn't as powerful as a PC) what are some minor adjustments one could make to have a game like ETW run faster on higher performance? I'm talking things like processes and graphics settings and stuff like that.

Miles
    The Netherlands, Brabant. close to Eindhoven.

Default Re: Faster Performance

well, maybe you can drop every setting to the minimum?

TheGeat's Avatar Miles

There are several things you can do.

1: Take a look at your settings. You might whant to uncheck some options. It's also a smart idea to lower the textures to medium or perhaps less.

2. Check out this tool, it has increased my preformance hugely by clearing your ram and boosting the processor. http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

God Luck!

Well you can do some house cleaning on your system

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

That should clear up the registry

As for spyware

http://www.lavasoft.com/

These are all free or have free versions and they work great.

The other thing you can do is defrag the harddrive

Windows has a built in defragment program however you should be able to google a good/faster one yourself. I would help more with this but some defragment programs only work on certain operating systems.

There's also making sure everything is updated, display drivers, windows, ect..

The other thing is turn off any programs you aren't using in the start menu like winamp, skype, steam... oh wait well either way steam is ok

The other thing you can do and this is go into your graphics card control panel and both Nvidia and ATI have texture quality.

In Nvidia it's called - texture quality, you can set this to performance which will make the game look worse but give you a boost

ATI is called mipmap detail or something like that (it's been a while since I've had an ATI card, good company/cards but Nvidia's model was more up my price range). - either way it's a slider and you set it all the way down

In game use Shader model 3 Light if you can, don't use Model2 it's not as efficient as shader model 3. My suggestion on tweaks is start with Units always at ULTRA then run some test battles, using highest settings and keep lowing the visual settings until framerate is acceptable (use your eyes for this or if you want a number try to stay in 30FPS range when a big huge battle is going on).

Don't turn on SSAO, this is only for high end computers and even then it's a hog espeically in ETW more so then any other game I have that uses ambient occlusion, mainly due to the amount of units on screen reacting to this... it does look awsome so I'll let it pass.

I'll be honest even with these tweaks you are only going to see a 10%-20% boost at best so I would start saving up for a deskstop if I was you.
    Lethal Mod - Creator
    Steam Name: Joe Novax

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Quote Originally Posted by devide-et-impera View Post
    Aside from the obvious and expensive solution of upgrading my laptop (and I don't need to be reminded that a laptop isn't as powerful as a PC) what are some minor adjustments one could make to have a game like ETW run faster on higher performance? I'm talking things like processes and graphics settings and stuff like that.
    It might be very worthwhile to look at this mod from KillzoneGB; ''Empire optimized'' !
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=281226

Biarchus

I used some freeware to free up ram, clear out all my temp. files and set everything to low. I get a good framerate and as I'm not that much of a graphics junkie it made the game a lot smoother for me on Bessy the aging laptop.

I'm going to try out some of the other freeware mentioned here and see how that goes. + rep to evryone who mentioned one!
    "I'll tell you what rule sir....we applied Rule 303. We caught them and we shot them under RULE THREE OH THREE!"

"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it!"