Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding a new province and changing a cities name

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Default Adding a new province and changing a cities name

To add more provinces:
    The list of files to be altered and their paths are as follows (make a back up of these):

- Data/World/Maps/Base/map_regions.tga
    - Data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt
    - Data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign (or your created provincial campaign)/descr_strat.txt
    - Data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign (or your created provincial campaign)/descr_mercenaries.txt
    - Data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign (or your created provincial campaign)/descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt
    -Data/text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt (if adding to a provincial campaign, create a copy of this file, and replace 'imperial_campaign' with whatever is at the top of your descr_strat.txt file across from the campaign title).

1) Delete the maps.rwm file and the map_heights.hgt file in your Data/world/maps/base folder.

2) Open the map_regions.tga file in whatever photo editing program you use. Examples are Adobe Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. On this image, each province in the game is coloured differently from the other. Zoom in, and with the pencil tool, re-colour a portion of the world map, wherever you want your new province to be, with a new colour. Make sure you keep the current land form intact (don't put a province on the water, in other words). Put a black dot wherever you want the settlement to be, and a white dot wherever you want the port to be. Make sure the port is alongside the water, and make sure, for land locked provinces, that there is NO port.

3) On the colour panel of whatever photo editing tool you're using, note the RGB values of the colour. In Adobe Photoshop, there should be three little sliders, and to the right of them, three boxes with seperate numbers. These allow the game to figure out where the new province is on the world map.

4) Open descr_regions.txt. Copy one of the current entries (such as the top Britannia_Inferior one) and paste it at the very bottom. Change the top name (Britannia_Inferior) to the name of the province that you want. Change the name below that (the city name) to whatever you want the settlement to be named in this province. Three lines below that you should see three groups of numbers (232 41 198 for Britannia_Inferior). These are those RGB values you noted earlier. Put in the ones for your province.

5) Go to your descr_strat.txt file. Copy a settlement that already exists, and paste it in the list of settlements for the faction that you want to own it. So, under the Romans_Julii faction, you would copy this:

Code:
    settlement 
    { 
    level large_town 
    region Etruria 

year_founded 0 
    population 4000 
    settlement_tax 51 
    plan_set default_set 
    faction_creator romans_julii 
    building 
    { 
    type barracks militia_barracks 
    } 
    building 
    { 
    type core_building governors_villa 
    } 
    building 
    { 
    type port_buildings port 
    } 
    building 
    { 
    type defenses wooden_pallisade 
    } 
    building 
    { 
    type hinterland_farms farms 
    } 
    building 
    { 
    type hinterland_roads roads 
    } 
    }
    Then, paste that under the settlement list for whatever faction you wanted your new province to belong to. Edit the region name to be your new provinces name. Edit in or out any buildings you want this settlement to have, and slo the population you want it to start with. Make sure that's all in the correct format. Compare it to other settlements to make sure it's all in correctly and not missing anything.

6) Open descr_mercenaries.txt. Put the name of your new province next to the name of the other provinces you want the listed mercenaries recruitable in. For example:

Code:
    pool Cisapline_Gaul 
    regions Cisalpine_Gaul Venetia Noricum Raetia NEW_PROVINCE_HERE 
    unit merc barbarian cavalry, exp 0 cost 800 replenish 0.06 - 0.15 max 1 initial 0 
    unit merc barbarian infantry, exp 0 cost 800 replenish 0.05 - 0.25 max 4 initial 0
    7) Open descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt. At the very bottom of this list, put the name of your province, and below that, the name of your settlement.

8) Finally, open the name_of_your_campain_regions_and_settlement_names_ lookup.txt in the Data/text folder. Copy one of the extisting names (such as {Hibernia} Hibernia) and paste this at the VERY bottom of the file. Adjust the both names (the one instead the curly brackets, and the oens without) to the name of your province. Then, paste it again below that, and this time rename them to the name of your added settlement.

You should now have an added province in your game. Load it up and see. If it doesn't work, make sure there are no spelling mistakes. If it still doesn't, restore all the fiels and try again, but with a province somewheres else.

To change a city name:
    Go to the name_of_your_campain_regions_and_settlement_names_ lookup.txt in the Data/text folder. Find the city you want to edit. Edit the name outside of the brackets. Do not edit the one inside, if you do, it will CTD. Thats all to it.

Laetus

Will this work with BI as well? I created a new province following a different guide on totalwar.org, doing everything covered in this guide, and when I go to play the provincial campaign, it just brings me back to the provincial campaign list, and creates a mpa.rwm file. Any clue what's wrong?

This guide doesn't work all the way with BI, doesn't tell what everything for the BI descr_regions does.

After the province name is a legion: <name> line, new for BI. Then the city name, good good, then what does the two lines under that mean? Who owns it and the founder type? Then the color part, simple simple, then I guess the next part is what resources are in the region. Then there's two numbers, who knows what they are? Then a relgion with a number, what's that meaning?

Britannia_Superior (Region)
    legion: Britannica (Don't know)
    Londinium (City name)
    empire_west (Don't know)
    Britons (Don't know)
    232 41 46 (Color)
    gold, grain, iron, slaves, textiles, tin, lead, britain (Resources ?)
    5 (Don't know)
    8 (Don't know)
    christianity 30 pagan 70 (Starting relgion percentage ?)

Anyone fill in the blanks that would be great

Kyle, adding 4 new regions to england and ireland
    Last edited by Tilarium; October 21, 2005 at 08:39 PM.

Britannia_Superior (Region)
    legion: Britannica (when a roman legion unit is created, it gets this name plus a number)
    Londinium (City name)
    empire_west (faction creator)
    Britons (rebel name)
    232 41 46 (Color)
    gold, grain, iron, slaves, textiles, tin, lead, britain (Resources)
    5 (triumph value)
    8 (base farm value)
    christianity 30 pagan 70 (Starting relgion percentage)

Awsome, thanks alot!

Now, next question, how do I make it so the new city starts off in the hands of some rebels?

Not finding the rebel part of descr_strat, thanks!

Oh, and in the descr_strat, at the top is a part for resources with 2 numbers after them. I'm going to guess any resources I add to my new regions need to be in this file and the numbers after the resource is it's location on the map. If I'm right how do I find out the numbers I'll need?

Thanks again!

Kyle
    Last edited by Tilarium; October 21, 2005 at 09:18 PM.

Primicerius
    Invercargill, te grymm und frostbittern zouth.

is there any possibility of you amending this guide for BI? cos im stuck =)

Default Notes for BI

(I strongly recommend that you change one province at a time and then check to see if the new province works. also save all you work in a different directory before you add new changes) IE save everytime you have a working change before you add new changes) Be prepared for errors that you just can't explain.

1) Delete the maps.rwm file and the map_heights.hgt (Do not Delete map_heights.hgt for BI, will not work otherwise)file in your Data/world/maps/base folder.

5) Go to your descr_strat.txt file. Copy a settlement that already exists, and paste it in the list of settlements for the faction that you want to own it. So, under the Romans_Julii faction, you would copy this: (Make Sure that when you change borders Around that you move the watch towers to the right provinces as well. Otherswise to game won't work. They can be found at the very bottom of this file)

8) Finally, open the name_of_your_campain_regions_and_settlement_names_ lookup.txt in the Data/text folder. Copy one of the extisting names (such as {Hibernia} Hibernia) and paste this at the VERY bottom of the file. Adjust the both names (the one instead the curly brackets, and the oens without) to the name of your province. Then, paste it again below that, and this time rename them to the name of your added settlement. (You need to put both the province name and the city name)
    example

{Province} Province
    {City} City
    Last edited by Ramadawn; December 11, 2005 at 04:03 PM.

Patrician

That is just about all you need to work on BI. Thanks Ramadawn for that.

Default please help

um...i colored a new region in map_regions.tga, but for some reason after i save i back into the file and i found that the colored region didn't work!! ie. i colored a region, but after i save, it doesn't appear!!! instead, a new file appears in the same folder with my colored region, but it is not a tga file!!! can someone help me plz!!

Primicerius
    Invercargill, te grymm und frostbittern zouth.

it sounds like you are not saving the file properly..or at all. I assume you are clicking "save as", you need to click "save"

yes, i tried "save", and it asks me if i want to overwrite, i clicked "yes" and after i saved. i went back into the "base" folder and found that my changes weren't saved!! and a new file was created with my changes, but i clicked overwrite!! not creat a new copy!! what's happening??

Hi

Just read this thread and it seems easy to add a province/city in BI. However it seems you donīt give any coordinates for your new province/city so how can the program locate it on the map; ie how do you know where your new province will end up?

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

You add it in to map_regions.tga, thats how it knows where it is.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted
    You add it in to map_regions.tga, thats how it knows where it is.
    I see, thanks for the quick reply

Shadow_Imperator's Avatar Italo/Aussie hayseed

Hey Seleukos, could you elabourate on a few more map making proceedures?
    Pweeasee?!
    "We are unable to choose the circumstances of our creation, and few of us choose our demise.
    However, as intelligent creatures of freewill, we are gifted, privileged, and so very fortunate; that we are able to choose the manner, in which we choose live". - Me

(If you like my quote or agree with it, you are welcome to add it to your own sig!).
    Under the patronage of Bulgaroctonos - PROTECTOR of the FAITH

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Imperator
    Hey Seleukos, could you elabourate on a few more map making proceedures?
    Pweeasee?!
    Would you be more specific please?

Default Re: Adding a new province and changing a cities name

I need help, I have added two new regions and they both work, but I tried making a third region, and it wont work, can you help me?

please someone help!!

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Any easy tips/tutorial of reversing the process ? I'm thinking of combining or merging provinces instead of adding new ones.

For example in MM map, I would like to combine most southern provinces in the map into a single desert province.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Open map_regions.tga and in your image editor find the colour in RGB value of the province you want to remove, write that down, then paint over all that region with the colour of the province you want to take it over (making sure you cover city and port pixels too)

Use edit, find, to look up the RGB value you wrote down in descr_regions.txt, write down the region name of the province and delete it's entire entry from descr_regions.txt. Look up that region name in descr_strat and delete it's entire settlement entry - if there are watchtowers specified for it at the bottom of strat file, either delete them or re-assign them to the province that is taking it over, delete it's entry there if it has one. Search for the region name in following files in campaign folder: descr_mercenaries.txt, descr_events.txt, and descr_win_condititions.txt, if it exists in any of those delete it.

If game runs with background script (don't think MM does) search that for deleted region as well and delete / modify sections as appropriate.

You'll still have armies around that used to garrison cities, that won't cause immediate problem but you'll probably want to move them in the end - and your one big province will end up with all on-map resources for the deleted regions, so you might want to change that in the end.

Back up everything before fiddling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast