Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: A petition to Creative Assembly from their loyal modding community

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: A petition to Creative Assembly from their loyal modding community

Quote Originally Posted by Clearchus of Sparta View Post
    I hope this is not taken the wrong way, because I agree with the sentiment. But ultimately, CA and SEGA are responsible only to the shareholders and modding does not directly add to the profit margin. It keeps you playing RTW/MTW when they want you purchasing ETW or NTW. They want you purchasing "special" units not getting them for free from the community.

I wish this were not true but it is my opinion that this is the case. and it wont change company policy unless the botton line becomes threatened. I wont go through my reasons here. It will have to be sufficient for you that my ETW experience is one that I wont partaking of again. Im voting with my wallet and it will not be coming out for any more of the TW series.
    You party-buster! Modding tools, and the community itself is something CA needs to keep TW games interesting, fresh, and more lasting. At least, this is my opinion.

/Signed

I actually bought ETW just because it was said that it was "The most moddable TW game, ever"... oh the irony.

Senator

Good work!

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

.signed of course!!
    The key solution to earn money is to make a good game - however - it's also very important to support the community. Empires is the opposite of that what I call "mod-friendly".

Signed. God Bless the Total War series and the community!
    "He will die, but you will be destroyed" - Marion. From the AAR "Sword of Albion" by Theodotos I.

Off Topic a bit - @CoS - there are creative ways for CA/Sega to engage and still sell extra units, etc. - why not contests for units, maps, mods. Make reward available, but then CA/Sega sell as add-on units, scenarios.....lots of ways to implement engagement and activation to achieve win-win for everyone, including their stakeholders. Just a matter of WANTING to engage then work out implementation.

will happily sign and agree with all comments in OP
    Makanyane

D|major's Avatar the key of glory

Support!
    formerly known as D|need
    m2tw cinematic editor tutorials as video and thread | my total war videos
    the picture of the week subforum with great artworks | my pics and vids gallery
    under the patronage of b. ward

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Signed. Thanks MCM.

Signed. Good initiative.

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Signed. This is what my feelings are exactly (with the sole exception of angry curses and shouting).

Excellent letter.

Signed.

I support this 100% good sirs!

First off I have to say I'm truly burnt out on hope for more community interaction, revolutionizing the revolution. I've been playing Total War since the twilight of Shogun and the Dawn of Medieval late 2002ish? CA team members have come and gone, and while at one time we were all encouraged by community chats and developer dairies, they "CA" still remain secretive and mysterious. I have seriously resigned from hope, in fact I've found another game which occupies more of my time who's developers are very tight with their community.

Maybe CA should not worry about what to make next but rather the approach to business. Maybe they don't make enough money? Maybe they do and are comfortable where they are? I honestly don't know, but I hopefully the goal is to become independant and find a publisher that will respect that. The wrong focus from a restrictive publisher doesn't do anything for the true fans of the game. I think the buck was made after Rome, now let's focus on real interactive wargaming please. I won't even begin to start on multiplayer it's like a unattainable dream.

The problem is not with the concept of a war game, but with the multiple aspects of it's implementation which never seem to get the polish they deserve. Rather than seeing more immersive creations we see slightly improved graphics, yes slightly I know that may come as a surprise to most of you who complain that is all CA does is improve the graphics. I'd say well if that was the case Empire TW would have came out in 2007.

CA needs to focus on immersion and they need to seriously improve multiplayer.

This petition while well intended does not provide any solutions, it's only cry we've all heard over an over. Let's think of some solutions as was done when RTW came out. Because otherwise this really doesn't offer much hope towards improved series.

Oh what the hell, I guess I'll sign...
    Last edited by Armatus; February 07, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

signed. Hope they do something to help, however small
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

decimator22's Avatar Vicarius

Signed and Supported!

Medieval American's Avatar Decanus

Is there any way we can make this a 'sticky thread' on all TWC sub-fourms?

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I have never heard of you, Marcus Cornelius Marcellus, maybe you have prestige among the community like darth or something, but what you`ve said has been said to CA over and over again over the past 6 months. I`m not sure what difference your attempts will make.

It is nicely written in a sort of `the low-versus-the High-and-mighty-on-bended-knee` sort of way. It may appeal to CA\SEGA and even kieran who would love such genuflection. Once I would`ve spoken like this when they actually deserved it.

However, I fear you waste your time. CA\SEGA seem to have a deliberate policy of throwing less than scraps to modders only. Perhaps if a miracle happens we may get our wish, but I don`t think anyone should hold their breath for it.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Very good and laid out letter. Signed.

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

Armatus and some of the others make some strong points. I can feel the depth of his particular dismay, and this, coming from someone as well respected as he is, should be taken very seriously by you, CA as a sign that people are losing patience, heart and hope for change. I can honestly say I have felt much the same way in the past. However, it is not in my character to give up because of meeting adversity. My discussions with other leading modders at this time is telling me they all feel the same way. Hence my call to action!

It speaks volumes reading the contents of this thread how thoughtful many of the community members are about these games, and how the logic they present does not stoop to needless negativity. We are talking constructive criticism here. Please take all that is written here as positive feedback.

While it is obvious to all that for many of us that we see the general development direction of the TW series in terms of moddability as an error, I can also say easily that at the same time there is a general feeling of wanting to be part of the solution.

CA- these voices care about you!

As Armatus clearly points out- eventually lack of any cognitive communication from CA ultimately is disheartening, and those with creativity to burn and a passion for modifications will ultimately give up and seek other directions and games/communities where their voices will be heard. No customer, whatever product you choose, in any business, wants to be ignored.

We will not be bought off with candy and a few prizes. Like all customers, we have a right to voice our opinions, especially when constructive, and we have a right to hear back in return, from someone who speaks with authority (no offense to you Lusted, but I think you know what I mean) and who gives us official recognition from Creative Assembly for these issues that we raise.

Here is a key point:
    If for some reason CA no longer wishes that people modify their games, then as a company you should make a public announcement to that fact, and we can all walk away. I don’t ever intend to modify Super Mario, nor Final fantasy, and for good reason. But I was led to believe that with your games, I can. Are we wrong in this assumption?

Many of us believe that it is ok, in fact, it has even been used in your marketing strategy.

To say that modding somehow affects the fiscal benefits of releasing a new game every couple of years, I strongly disagree. I for one, still have all the TW series games, and still will probably go out and buy NTW. Modding can only promote it- you are breeding die hard fanatics. All mods require the person to buy the game! All mods want to be able to use the latest technology, the latest features.

A mod friendly NTW would spawn a slew of new versions: EB, RTR, Stainless Steel, etc etc etc, all seeking to take advantage of the realism that your engines provide.

A plain customer might buy your product once, but a die hard fan, you as a company, own for life!

I will compare your games once again with other more modder friendly games.

Only you yourselves can really know how your sales stack up against these companies, but I can hesitate to guess that your sales lag behind theirs, and for good reason. What makes these other game company’s games so appealing, is the dynamic that flows between their end users and their companies. Interaction. Energy. Group interest. Fostering an online presence beyond just one-way PR releases.

A commitment by you to excellence. Nothing is more inspiring to a customer!

As an example, if take a company- any company- that sells a product, which upon release includes a set of simple tools for the end user to use to modify within set and respected parameters, at their own risk ( if they wish), and those tools allow the end user to modify the game for a group of like minded enthusiasts, and I interact with that end user community in a cogent way, you are indeed creating something special and that you as a company can utilize.

a)You are creating a solid core fan base that will report back to you on their findings- this can only lead to better game performance, shorter research times when developing your “revolution/evolution cycle” and ultimately more sales $$$.

b)Need beta testers? As Pompey once said, “ I need only stamp my foot….” This would cut down lag time on bugs and glitches which….. we wont mention here….

c)You are developing in the end user a set of solid skills, which you, as a company with a long term future, can harvest as future employers.

d) It may spark your own in-house developers to (heaven forbid!) new creative heights if they know that others, with a passion that goes beyond receiving a salary from CA (!) are also pushing the envelope of performance.

Sewing seeds, harvesting the future….

As a professional businessman myself, also in the manufacturing business, I understand your fears of letting go, of trusting that the access you give your end users wont be abused. But- after ten years now of your games being released, has not the gaming community around your products shown you its worth? Of its respect for your games, and the parameters that you set?

The community polices itself, and will continue to do so, shunning all that seek to exploit or profit unfairly.

To sum up, the basis of all successful business relationships is trust. I believe, with all my heart and mind, that in ten years, we , the modding community, have shown we are worth of that trust.

Creative Assembly, I ask you to become a little bit braver with your future plans, for in bravery you risk only the greatest of rewards.

Enough for now. I will let your end users speak for themselves.

Salve,
    MCM

ps: If you require a person to communicate with Sega Japan and repeat these requests on behalf of your end users in Japanese, it would be my honor to do so. Having lived in Japan now for nine years and as the sole foreign staff member at my Japanese company, I have a deep understanding of the cultural issues and naturally conservative nature of Japanese business dealings. I also know that presented with a cogent customer request, they usually facilitate change if they see it as to the company’s benefit.