Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faction Preview: Swežiuš

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Default Faction Preview: Swežiuš

The modern Sweden we know today was not a united nation, but more a collection of tribes.

Under contol of Ragnarr Lošbrokk the Swedes face a position both interesting and challenging. An obvious start to gain power is to unite all of Sweden under one banner, this will of course mean coming into bloody contact with the Geats and Gotlanders to their south.

To the east across the Baltic sea lays Finland and its collection of tribes, amongst these tribes, the Tavastians stand out as the most potential threat if the Swedes were to turn their attention to this area and attempt to gain complete dominance over the gulf of Bothnia, taking contol over the Åland Islands seems the most obvious place to start if that is the case.

Strengths
    Good cavalry and the opportunity to easily expand into Russia and Finland.

Weaknesses
    Bad relations with Denmark and Geatland.

Starting Regions

Attundaland

Tiundaland

Rošer

Family Tree

Ragnarr Lošbrok
    The Swedes start out with Ragnarr Lošbrók or "Hairy-Breeks", he was the son the legendary Swedish-Danish king Siguršr hringr. Ragnarr was an infamous Viking who raided both France and England, and who eventually meet his end at the hands of king Ęlla of Northumbria by being thrown into a pit of snakes. This man is renowned as a great Viking and fiercely pagan, he will be represented as such.

"It gladdens me to know that Balder’s father makes ready the benches for a banquet. Soon we shall be drinking ale from the curved horns. The champion who comes into Odin’s dwelling does not lament his death. I shall not enter his hall with words of fear upon my lips. The Ęsir will welcome me. Death comes without lamenting… Eager am I to depart. The Dķsir summon me home, those whom Odin sends for me from the halls of the Lord of Hosts. Gladly shall I drink ale in the high-seat with the Ęsir. The days of my life are ended. I laugh as I die." - Krįkumįl: Last words of Ragnarr Lošbrók
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Björn Jįrnsiša
    Björn Ironside was renowned for successfully raiding France alongside his brother Hastein may times, Björn is an excellent commander at both land and sea, as well as a feared Viking. His most famous raid lead him right into the Mediterranean, raided Spain, southern France and eventually working his way into Italy were he captured the city of Pisa and cunningly worked his way to Luna. On his way back through the Straits of Gibraltar, he and his men were attacked by a Saracen fleet that had been waiting for them. The Battle was lost, but Björn managed to return back to Scandinavia. Björn is also the founder of the Swedish Dynasty known as the House of Munsö.

Unique Units

Sœnskir Riddarar

Cavalry was never a common sight amongst Scandinavian armies, but if they were to be seen, Scandinavia's east would be the first place to look. Armed and armoured to the teeth, these men have both the defensive capabilities to survive in a prolonged fight, and to move quickly across the battlefield. With spears for charging and swords for melee, they are suited for almost any kind of battle. Of course, like any good fighting force, they are expensive, slow to train, and lacking in numbers.
    As well as the more common chainmail, some men also wear lamellae based off findings from Birka. Lamellar is an arrangement of small metal plates thonged, laced or occasionally wired together into horizontal belts.
    Historically, the swedes where said to have fine horses and great mounted warriors, the ancient swedish king Eadgils even had mounted bodyguards.

A man without legs can manage a horse
    A man with no hands can handle a herd
    A deaf man can be a doughty fighter
    Even to be blind is better than on the pyre burning
    For there is nothing the dead can do. - Hįvamįl

Hof-Veršir

Armed with some of the finest arms and armour available, these men are the chosen elite, given the grand task of protecting the temples. If war comes, it may be necessary to call upon these mens swords and distract them from their duty for a greater cause. The Hof-Veršir wear the Vendel helmet which include a mail covering over all the of the face except the eyes, giving the head great protection, these helmets were in use during the Vendel era but later died out as cheaper, less ornate, more practical helmets replaced them. The Hof-Veršir also wear a long mail dress over tunics and carry large round shields for protection. They are capable of joining the shield wall, and can be a devastating force, they are of course, expensive to recruit and come in small numbers, despite this however, they can turn the tide of almost any battle when used wisely.

Now it is known
    That the king had guarded
    Well the temples,
    So Haakon the Good
    Was welcomed with gladness
    By the kind gods. - From the saga of Haakon the Good

Screenshots

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Faction Preview: Swežiuš

Remember... We are still recruiting. The more modders, the quicker this mod is released, and the better it is.

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

Default Re: [NEW!] Faction Preview: Swežiuš

1st post

awesome stuff dude, well done
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Just beautiful.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

OMG...Mine mine all mine!!!!!!...
    The rest of you go away and find your own private mod!!!!

Astounding, hail & salute to the entire team...+Rep goes without saying
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; February 05, 2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Edit & Grammar
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Now all you need is to add the Gods and Giants!

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

WoW!!!

Great preview, nice progress!

Amazing stuff.

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

Óšinn!!!!!

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Great work mates.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Jaguar Paw's Avatar Senator

Excellent job Vikingr and team! I love the strat map settlements. Also the mounted unit is very nice, I especially like the treatment of the spear and the helmet on the unit. Keep up the good work.
    Member: The Frontier. Researcher, Skinner, and Modeler.

Member: The Frontier Researcher

DragonsWarrior's Avatar Senator

amazing mod looking forward to this mod

Great job. Looking forward to this. (probably the 100th time I've said this)

Looks great. As a swede Im really looking forward to play this faction.

good job

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Wow! Looking forward to release!

Saxon wårolord's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Nazgūl Killer View Post
    Great work mates.
    Don't comment Aryan factions: We know who you are.

We know how 'mainstream' your origins are

TiTiTimmy's Avatar Centenarius

Nice units +rep
    Wanted for:
    Breaking and gluing back together and trying to pass off as never being broken in the first place.
    Assault with a weapon that couldn't have possibly been deadly, but unfortunately was

"You know what they say: give a man a fish, and he'll stink up the whole town. Give a man a fishing rod -- see where I'm going here? Give him a fishing rod and he'll poke your eye out."

Rep goes both ways, just leave your name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast