Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The most frequent installation issues and their solutions (For all versions of DarthMod Empire)

Red9's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: DMUC 5.3d: THE MOST FREQUENT ISSUES AND THEIR SOLUTIONS

Well, I just installed the mod, loaded the Grand Campaign from the Launcher, played a Custom Battle to test it. Worked really fine
    After that, I closed the game. Now, everytime I try to launch the mod, it CTD in that Empire Total War blue screen, in the beggining of the game. What happened?
    And yes, I reseted my scripts and everything else

Oh, and I launched it with Safemode (DM only). The game loaded just fine. So, the problem is in some other mod, correct?
    Last edited by Red9; February 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Were you using DMUC 5.4? And have you tried re-installing the DMUC? That might work

Red9's Avatar Libertus

Well, I reinstalled everything, and now it's workig fine (at least for now ^^)
    Hope it reamisn that way

Thanks for the tip ^^

well, using 5.3d still, ottoman campaign. About 30 turns in. Keeping getting a game crash while loading a battle. i believe it is the EUW units because its always austria who comes up with the EUW units in it. Really don't want to auto-resolve this next battle because my capital is under seige by a stack and a half, and i will lose if i auto it.

How can I disable the EUW units untill a compatibility patch is made? Will be upgrading to 5.4 probably this weekend.

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

Hi guffey - the simplest way is to change the setting in units_to_exclusive_faction_permissions from True to False, I believe all the relevant units have a prefix of elite you will need the DB editor to do this
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...light=dbeditor

Default Re: SOLUTIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING ISSUES: "Help, my game is vanilla!", "I get a CTD while loading my savegame!", "My game crahes during battles!", "My unit cards are blank!" & "My cities are invisible!&a

Quote Originally Posted by Maledon View Post
    "My cities are invisible!"
    Other fixes (using newest drivers):

1) Turn shaders to L2 in ETW options
    2) Leave shaders a L3 but run in window mode

Both of these solved the vanishing cities for me but I hate window mode so I'm running with L2 shaders.
    There is a thread where a coder is working on the issues for ETW.Some of the issues is about shaders.ETW really only uses L2 shaders.Please read this post.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    jjwalker

I have been testing it this morning with 186.xx and it seems to be working well. I want to make sure this is holding up with the most stable driver series before I start messing with the others. I am also going to download some developer version of the TBB library and hopefully I can figure out what pointers the ETW EXE is using so i can compile some binaries myself. The download above is a precompiled binary.

I also need to find the shader code wherever it is buried in ETW. I am an HLSL programmer and can make any neccessary changes that need to be made, assuming the issue lies in the shader code itself. The EXE will contain the core engine components which i will not be able to change at all.

Harrr! I hath found the shader files. They be located in main.pack.

The seem to be raw HLSL which is great, which means I am free to do any modification neccessary. WOOT! The code structure is confusing as there doesn't seem to be a main header file with pointers *facepalm*. I am going to have to go through and just find where everything is manually. Shame on CA, who the heck doesn't include a main or common.h header?

Here is something VERY interesting. So going through ETW shaders I can already tell you how they work.

Essentially, ETW is Shader model 2. No wonder it runs like **** under SM3.0 with the newer drivers. Memory allocation issues aside, the only difference between the SM 2.0 model used by ETW and the SM3.0 option is a fake BRDF algorithm.

You what makes it all worse?! The SM3.0 shaders wheren't even DEVELOPED by CA. They are 3dsmax and Maya shader code with a creative commons license!!!

WTF?

So our issues with nvidia cards (can't speak for ATI, I don't own an ATI card) are going to be found in a mere 3 files worth of source code more than likely. CA used some strange hybrid SM2.0 and SM3.0 garbage, and didn't even code thier own SM3.0 shaders to boot.

In layman terms, CA used an old shader model to point to a newer shader model, and compiles them concurrently and expects them to play nice with each other. What nonsense. I have to go get ready for work and leave and I'll pick back up on this tonight. I can't even begin to describe what I am looking atright now. It's like someone stitched up frankenstein code.

EDIT2: Okay, last edit before work. I know what the issue is basically. With the new nvidia drivers, the alpha maps are being incorrectly calculated, thus the disappearing buildings and trees. I think anyway. The reason SM2.0 works is because alpha blending of shadows is turned off. I do believe ships being visible still with the new drivers is because the shadows have no alpha blending on the water, but I'll have to do more research into this. There is a lot of code to go through. Tonight I am going to try and disable alpha blending of shadows in SM3.0 and see if that temporarily solves the SM3.0 issues under the latest nvidia driver set, and if that works, at least we can play the game with SM3.0 under the latest driver set until i can figure out how to fix alpha blending.

hip63's Avatar Give me some BASS!
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: DMUC 5.4.1: THE MOST FREQUENT ISSUES AND THEIR SOLUTIONS

@ OSDEA7 - thanks for pointing that out

hip63

Quote Originally Posted by No0dle View Post
    Vanilla Bug, caused by the Ottoman AI ... look here
    I curse the otto bug to damnation and to an eternal freezing bath in vainilla AIscream!!!
    ( or at least till rome II comes out! whatever of them two turns out first! )

Pizza de Oveja's greatest moddin' moments

Thou I have to confess that I dont the slightest thing about modding,
    I just click on the charge button and hope for the best

I came up with a homemade solution to the otto bug. Yep!

I thought about sending it to darth or hyp63 for it to be included in DMUC but I dont think even they could implement it so there it goes.

The ottos were already taking 2 minutes to complete their turn on my glorious Russian campaing so I decided to be proactive and bring russian enlightment over the barbarous godless ottos. And so it was that my vodka-bathed cossack armies invaded the otto provinces bordering my glorious empire. After taking two of them (I think that would be modern day rommania) the otto turn started taking the same time to resume than the one of any other mini faction.

I can hardly claim I discovered the wheel here, but it is pizza tested and it works...

Pizza Tip if the ottos are cripplin' your campain just put their provinces to the torch till their turn resumes taking just a few seconds. Its the proven method of going around soul crushing vainilla bugs that CA refuses to adress. After that you can of course continue their extermination just for the sake of it or force them to become a protectorate to humiliate them even more, according to taste.

There you go...just a pinch of salt of being a recipe.

best!

Dont ofuscate yourself! It's pointless to resist . . .

jmack's Avatar Civis

im playing a mp campagin on dmuc and we keep getting this ucompatible problem we searched all the options. we are all the same. all the scripts seem to be there. any help would , well help

DeaDBolT's Avatar Decanus

Well, im not sure if this is the right place, but here goes.

Im using DMUC 5.41, however, i've been having my battles crashing upon me every so often for as far as i can remember.

Now i've read the first page solutions and tried them many times, lowering my graphics and tweaking them extensively, disabling D&F mod and disabling the smoke mod, rolling back my drivers, i even bought a new gfx card, from a Geforce 8800 to an ATI HD5770, still nothing.

Nothing works so far and normally the game would just freeze and then CTD with the "Empire has stopped working message" but just now it did the same thing, but with this message:

"The instruction at 0x72b06023 referenced memory at 0x67006914. the memory could not be read.
    Click on OK to terminate the program"

Now thats just gibberish to me, but im betting some of you can make sense out of this and then maybe, just maybe i can finally solve this problem that has been plagueing me for months.

Thanks in advance.

PS: The piece about the ETW shaders is really interesting, the revelation that deep down inside the ETW code is a garbled mess makes me kind of sad, but it explains a whole lot about the many technical difficuilties that plague ETW's many users.

Cheers,
    Last edited by DeaDBolT; March 03, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
    "Opinions that come forth out of prejudice and lack of knowledge are always defended most fiercely, often with violence" Unknown (with additions by myself)

Proud to be Dutch.
    A proud member of S.I.N.

Something i said made sense? +rep me to +rep you.

DarthMod@Twitter (NEW!)
    Call to arms! An army of 5.000 is needed.

Senator

Did you try to reinstall DMUC without any sub-mods and default settings/scripts?

If you already did, try to play some custom battles just with vanilla units ... some of the additional units seem to be causing crashes sometimes ...

No0dle

Hi DeaDBolT - the game has caused me more issues with graphics than anything I have ever know, the game itself seldom taxes my main CPU to more the 35 - 40%, and I have 2 GTX280m Graphic cards, the problem is in SLI mode no how I tweak it I get shudder and flashing, so to play the game I have to disable the SLI facility, absolute nuts - I have a high end rig that I need to step down to play the game....., hope someone can get a fix for you
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Is there nobody who can translate that error report into english?

Thats kind of what i was aiming for, i dont use SLI and i have not added any submods besides D&F to DMUC, it still crashes when i disable that though.

Cheers,
    "Opinions that come forth out of prejudice and lack of knowledge are always defended most fiercely, often with violence" Unknown (with additions by myself)

Proud to be Dutch.
    A proud member of S.I.N.

DarthMod@Twitter (NEW!)

Hi DeadBoIT - have you tried the main Empire technical board, might be worth having a look through and/or posting up in there
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Well, i've put it on the technical help board, i'm just hoping someone over there can translate that gibberish error report into english.

This isnt the first time i've posted in the DM\DMUC forums with this issue and it never amounted to anything, the only difference this time is that error message i got.

Cheers,

Proud to be Dutch.
    A proud member of S.I.N.

DarthMod@Twitter (NEW!)

Hi DeadBoit - good luck with that - today their was a new driver launched by NVIDIA http://www.nvidia.com/obj...a_64bit_196.75_whql.html, no good to me on the Laptop but I guess you are on a desktop?, if so there seems claims that some of the ill's are cured - might be worth a try if the tech.people don't know

Well, the guys at thec support said it refered to one of Empire's memory leaks and then i remembered i had not yet enabled the memory fix for ETW since i installed Windows 7 and after a bit of googling i managed to do just that and im gonna try it out now and i'll report back if it worked or not.

Cheers,

Proud to be Dutch.
    A proud member of S.I.N.

DarthMod@Twitter (NEW!)

Righteous Fury's Avatar Civis

Hello one and all. I have been trying to get this mod to work for about 5 hours now, all to no avail. I have been following the various threads on how you have help others and nothing has worked. After getting into the DMUC start screen and selecting either Ultimate Campaign or Grand Campaign, Steam starts and enters ETW, however that is where it fails and I get this error

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Empire.exe
    Application Version: 1.5.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 4b697bb7
    Fault Module Name: Empire.exe
    Fault Module Version: 1.5.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4b697bb7
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00cd094a
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: fd00
    Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
    Additional Information 3: fd00
    Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

...as I have already mentioned, I have tried the various things you've had others attempt, but none have worked for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    NEVER SUBMIT
    NEVER SURRENDER

Hi Righteous Fury - first question is go into in the DMUC options and enable the diagnostics and reset the user scripts, let me know if that works, if not try

Uninstall DMUC
    Verify integrity of Vannila game cache in steam
    Test Vanilla ETW make sure it runs
    Install DMUC 5.4 + 5.4.1 Update

lets hope one works

Quote Originally Posted by DeaDBolT View Post
    Well, the guys at thec support said it refered to one of Empire's memory leaks and then i remembered i had not yet enabled the memory fix for ETW since i installed Windows 7 and after a bit of googling i managed to do just that and im gonna try it out now and i'll report back if it worked or not.

Cheers,
    What is thy memory leaks we should have enabled that I hear for the first time and as usual appears to be something everybody knew about except me???

Dont ofuscate yourself! It's pointless to resist . . .