Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The most frequent installation issues and their solutions (For all versions of DarthMod Empire)

Senator

Icon4 The most frequent installation issues and their solutions (For all versions of DarthMod Empire)

Section for "DM" and "DM Lite"
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Installation instructions
    Instructions for DarthMod Empire Commander

STEP1
    Decompress the file

STEP2
    Open DarthMod Empire Commander Edition file

STEP3
    Copy darthmod.pack and Paste to C:\...\Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war\data

STEP4
    Copy user.empire_script.txt and Paste to :

VISTA and Windows 7 users

C:\Users\(Your User Name Here)\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts
    XP users
    C:\Documents and Settings\(Your User Name Here)\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

WARNING!
    If you do not see the above mentioned folders (AppData or Application Data), enable Windows to show hidden folders or to go there automatically:

Windows XP: Start->Run->Type %appdata%->Enter
    Vista and 7: Start->Type in the search dialog space %appdata% ->Enter

STEP 5 (Optional)

Install the included campaign starting positions.

NOTES
    -The instructions for the Lite Edition are similar.
    -The instructions for the Ultimate Edition are straightforward and available to the special download thread.

• The easiest way to understand that you have DarthMod installed watch a line infantry to have 110 range (And that the unit size is larger than Vanilla).
    • If your PC cannot handle the thousands of troops of DarthMod Empire Commander lower your settings (Normal = approximately Ultra of Vanilla version)

Section for "DMUC"

Introduction (Please read this!):

Hey everybody,

before you spend your time on searching solutions for your issues, you should bear in mind one important fact:
    This thread only concerns DMUC 5.4.1.!
    If you have not yet installed DMUC 5.4.1, you should do this, before seeking solutions for issues, which had been already solved with the latest release, upgrade, update or hotfix.
    You can find the recent version of DMUC here.

Furthermore I want to answer one important question:
    "What shall I do if I cannot find a solution for my problem in this thread?"

Answer: There are some common things everybody should do before creating a thread and tasking the time of other users with seeking for solutions:
    - Deinstall DMUC by using the Uninstall_DMUC.exe located in the ETW game folder,
    - Let Steam verify your game cache,
    - Reinstall DMUC, but keep the proper installation order mentioned hereafter in mind,
    - Start DMUC and check if your issue is gone.
    If your issue still exists, use the board's search function to seek for a solution.

If all this doesn't help you solving your problem, feel free to create a new topic in the DMUC forum.

DMUC 5.4.1: proper installation order 1. Install the DMUC 5.4 full-installer,
    2. Install the DMUC Update 5.4.1,
    3. Install the DMUC 5.4.1 Multiplayer hotfix,
    4. Done.
    Note: Mind to indicate the proper ETW directory!

"After uninstalling the Mod - I can't get Vanilla to work"

To all posters here sorry this happened to you! Here is a solution to get you Vanilla ETW Working again:

1) As usual uninstall the mod - go to right steam click on your game - properties - Local files - verify integrity of game cache files....

2) Go to your main script folder:
    VISTA and Windows 7 users
    C:\Users\(Your User Name Here)\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts\ delete everything in that folder so he is empty!!!

XP users
    C:\Documents and Settings\(Your User Name Here)\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts
    \ delete everything in that folder so he is empty!!!

Start the game over steam - should work!!!

The issue is you all forgot to clear the scripts folder!!!!!
    Hope that helps and clears the issue!

"My game is vanilla!"

If your game is vanilla, even though you launch it by using the DMUC launcher, you lost one of your scripts. This can be caused by several things. In most of the cases users lose their scripts when getting a CTD, because the script, which was loaded to play the game, gets mostly deleted when the game crashes.

Solution:
    You have to reset your user scripts:
    1) Start the DMUC launcher,
    2) Click on OPTIONS,
    3) Click on DIAGNOSTICS,
    4) Click on ENABLE ADV DIAG OPTIONS,
    5) Click on RESET DMUC USER SCRIPTS (Screenshot),
    6) Now a command window should open and you just have to press a various key to reset your scripts.

Note: If this doesn't work, you should try to replace the whole script folder.
    The DMUC script folder is the following one:

Windows XP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts\DMUC

Windows Vista/Seven:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts\DMUC

[If you cannot see the AppData folder, it's still hidden. Follow this tutorial to show hidden folders.]

Download this file, delete the DMUC folder and replace it with the downloaded folder.

"I get CTDs at the start-up of battles/campaigns!"

This concerns only people who get CTDs at the start-up of battles or campaigns (not during battles/campaigns).

Check if your issue is listed below:

- "The Uprising Campaign crashes at the start-up!"

The UpC requires the Warpath DLC! If you don't own the Warpath DLC, you cannot use the UpC and it'll crash at the start-up.

Solution: Buy the Warpath DLC or don't use the UpC.

- "My battles crash at the start-up!"

Some additional units of DMUC cause crashes if you use them in a battle. There are also some unverified reports that the Elite Units of the East/West cause crashes, but I cannot confirm this.

Solution: Try to figure out which units make trouble and don't use them in your battles.

"I get CTDs while loading my savegame!"

This issue can be caused by several things. These are the three most frequent reasons:

- You lost your campaign script.

If you lose your GC/UC/CC/UpC/ULC script, the game will be vanilla and of course you cannot load DMUC savegames with the vanilla ETW. A proof way to check if ETW is vanilla is to go into the custom battle menu and to check if the flags, unit stats and units are the vanilla ones.

Solution: Reset your scripts in the DMUC diag menu.

- Your savegame is too old and not compatible with your current version of DMUC.

If you've just installed a new version of DMUC and your old savegame is not working, the reason is pretty clear: it is not compatible with this new version of DMUC.

Solution:
    You have two opportunities:
    - Deinstall your new version of DMUC and reinstall the one you used before. Now your old savegame should work properly.
    - Keep your new version of DMUC, delete your old savegame and start a new campaign.

It's your choice ...

- You changed some serious game settings within the campaign.

If you start a new campaign with particular settings, you should not change them seriously till the campaign is finished, because if you do so, your savegame maybe won't work anymore. Of course you can change all ETW settings and the audio and graphics settings in the DMUC launcher. But changing the gameplay options in the DMUC launcher could be critical (it depends on the option). And what you should never do if you don't want to lose your savegame:
    - removing DMUC pack files from the campaign script
    - editing DMUC pack files
    - adding further mods to the scripts
    - using AUM switcher sub-mod
    If you do one of the things above, you'll have to start a new campaign.

Solution: Just revert your settings to the last ones, which worked properly with your savegame.

"I get CTDs during battles/campaigns!"

If you get CTDs during battles or campaigns (not at start-up!), this is in 95% related to your hardware.

Hereafter are some reasons why your game could crash to desktop:

- Your hardware settings are too high.

Empire Total War and especially DMUC are very hardware hungry. So if you stress your CPU (or your computer in common) too much (e.g. by playing a battle with 10000 units), your PC will crash. Especially if you stress your RAM too much ... it will produce failures and the Empire.exe will crash.

Solutions:
    - Try lower hardware settings.
    - Try the DM Normal Unit Size Sub-Mod by Tharoth (this mod doesn't affect the UC!).

- Your PC can't handle the smoke mod.

This problem is very simliar to the one above. Some computers cannot handle the smoke mod which is included in DMUC. Maybe they are too weak, maybe the graphics driver has some trouble with the smoke.

Solution: Turn off the smoke mod in the graphics menu of the DMUC launcher.

- The Drum & Fife sub-mod produces crashes on your PC.

Some computers seem to have problems with the D&F sub-mod. The reasons are unknown.

Solution: Don't use D&F.

- Your on-board sound card produces crashes.

This issue has absolutely nothing to do with DM or DMUC. It's a bug of Empire Total War itself.

Solution: Update your sound card driver or use a dedicated sound card if an update doesn't solve your problem.
    Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that a new sound card will solve your issue!

"The vanilla ETW crashes at startup!"

If your vanilla ETW game crahses at start-up while DMUC is installed or had been installed on your computer, this is in most cases related to remaining scripts or forgotten .pack files.

Solution (Thanks to Syntax!):
    1) Uninstall DMUC by using the Uninstall_DMUC.exe shortcut in your ETW folder (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war)
    2) Go into the ETW script folder:

Windows XP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

Windows Vista/Seven:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

[If you cannot see the AppData folder, it's still hidden. Follow this tutorial to show hidden folders.]

and delete all files/folder except the preferences.empire_script.txt script.

3) Go into the ETW data folder (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data) and delete any .pack files which doesn't belong to ETW. If you have doubts about a file, just post your question in the DMUC forum to get sure that you don't delete any ETW files.
    4) Now vanilla ETW should work properly. If you want to use DMUC further on, you'll have to reinstall it.

"I have graphic issues!"

No matter what graphic issues you have, the first thing you should do is to update your graphics driver to the latest release. You can find the latest version of ATi drivers here and the newest NVidia drivers here. Don't forget to uninstall your old driver and to restart your computer before installing the new driver!

Below are specific issues:

- "My cities are invisible!"

Solution: Switch the shader settings from 3.0 to 2.0 in the ETW graphics menu (Thanks to Maledon for this hint!)

Feel free to post questions, suggestions and criticisms.
    This thread will be updated permanently!

Abbreviations/Terms used - ETW: Empire Total War
    - vanilla: complies unmodded
    - DM: DarthMod
    - DMUC: DarthMod Ultimate Commander
    - CTD: Crash to Desktop
    - GC: Grand Campaign
    - UC: Ultimate Campaign
    - CC: Custom Campaign
    - UpC: Uprising Campaign
    - ULC: Ultimate Late Campaign

Credits - DARTH VADER for creating DM
    - hip63 for creating DMUC
    - Syntax for spending so much time on helping users and for helping me solving and summarizing their issues

Last edited by No0dle; May 22, 2010 at 03:55 PM.

Comandante's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: SOLUTIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING ISSUES: "Help, my game is vanilla!", "I get a CTD while loading my savegame!", "My game crahes during battles!", "My unit cards are blank!" & "My cities are invisible!&q

cool, nice thread! very helpful

hip63's Avatar Give me some BASS!
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: SOLUTIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING ISSUES: "Help, my game is vanilla!", "I get a CTD while loading my savegame!", "My game crahes during battles!", "My unit cards are blank!" & "My cities are invisible!&q

oh my, this thread is sticky

hip63

"My cities are invisible!"
    Other fixes (using newest drivers):

1) Turn shaders to L2 in ETW options
    2) Leave shaders a L3 but run in window mode

Both of these solved the vanishing cities for me but I hate window mode so I'm running with L2 shaders.

Lord Derfel's Avatar Biarchus

This is very helpful and pretty much covers most problems and crashes one may experience. Thanks for taking the time to put this together + Rep

Senator

Default Re: SOLUTIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING ISSUES: "Help, my game is vanilla!", "I get a CTD while loading my savegame!", "My game crahes during battles!", "My unit cards are blank!" & "My cities are invisible!&a

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Maledon View Post
    "My cities are invisible!"
    Other fixes (using newest drivers):

1) Turn shaders to L2 in ETW options
    2) Leave shaders a L3 but run in window mode

Both of these solved the vanishing cities for me but I hate window mode so I'm running with L2 shaders.
    Thank you, I'll add this

-> Credits added (what a shame that I forgot them )
    Last edited by No0dle; February 05, 2010 at 07:28 AM.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

This thread is guaranteed to be reallly useful to a lot of people. Thank you very much
    +rep

aus-rotten's Avatar Semisalis

I´m quite shure hip will put you in his prayers every night for this thread!

great work!
    rep+

NO GODS -NO MASTERS
    just free minds

my brown power ass in your white power face.

Senator

Default Re: SOLUTIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING ISSUES: "Help, my game is vanilla!", "I get a CTD while loading my savegame!", "My game crahes during battles!", "My unit cards are blank!" & "My cities are invisible!&a

Quote Originally Posted by aus-rotten View Post
    I´m quite shure hip will put you in his prayers every night for this thread!

I already mention him in my prayers for a long time for creating DMUC ^^

Thanks for the positive feedback, tango12345 & aus-rotten

Senator

Default Re: SOLUTIONS FOR: "Help, my game is vanilla!", "My game crahes on startup!", "I get a CTD while loading my savegame!", "My game crahes during battles!", "My cities are invisible!" & more!

-> 2. "My game crashes on startup!" added

It includes the newest EUE issue ...
    Last edited by No0dle; February 09, 2010 at 11:18 AM.

Default Re: SOLUTIONS FOR: "Help, my game is vanilla!", "My game crahes on startup!", "I get a CTD while loading my savegame!", "My game crahes during battles!", "My cities are invisible!" & more!

I have done both hot fixes and I played DMUC before I went to work today, After work I tried to play again and it crashed. Double checked to make sure no scripts were lost. Ideas?

screenshot

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

Quote Originally Posted by tool-geek View Post
    I have done both hot fixes and I played DMUC before I went to work today, After work I tried to play again and it crashed. Double checked to make sure no scripts were lost. Ideas?

screenshot
    Welcome in the Forum!!!
    You have to change the user user.empire_script. in the under-directories - like UC(folder) -Ultimate Campaign, CC(Folder) , Custom Campaign,..according which Campaign you play or want to play - best do it for all. - here you have to add the new line mod EUE_DM_Hotfix.pack; - fix as last line not in the script you did, as this is not used by DMUC 5.1!!! Best you also do it in the Backup scripts - so you may easy recover if a script get lost!!! If all users would make such nice screens like you did it would be much easier for us to find what's wrong!!! Thanks....+Rep for the nice way you explained your problem...
    Last edited by Syntax; February 12, 2010 at 12:50 AM.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax View Post
    Welcome in the Forum!!!
    You have to change the user user.empire_script. in the under-directories - like UC(folder) -Ultimate Campaign, CC(Folder) , Custom Campaign,..according which Campaign you play or want to play - best do it for all. - here you have to add the new line mod EUE_DM_Hotfix.pack; - fix as last line not in the script you did, as this is not used by DMUC 5.1!!! Best you also do it in the Backup scripts - so you may easy recover if a script get lost!!! If all users would make such nice screens like you did it would be much easier for us to find what's wrong!!! Thanks....+Rep for the nice way you explained your problem...
    Exactly! Thx Syntax

I'll rework the tutorial after the release of DMUC 5.3 ...

Fantastic advice, thanks!
    Last edited by Kaje; February 12, 2010 at 10:42 AM.

I did do it for the UC; and yes I am selecting to play the UC when it shuts down, when I try something else I "load script" and paste it (mod EUE_DM_Hotfix.pack; ) in there. still crashes. Like I said, I was able to play it, now I am not, reloaded the scripts after first crash.
    Last edited by tool-geek; February 12, 2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: uh, the winky face is supposed to be semi colon, end parentheses

btw, love the darthmods, been playing [darth] since rome. keep up the good work

Edit: If I'm supposed post this problem elsewhere, please let me know
    Last edited by tool-geek; February 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM.

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

Quote Originally Posted by tool-geek View Post
    I did do it for the UC; and yes I am selecting to play the UC when it shuts down, when I try something else I "load script" and paste it (mod EUE_DM_Hotfix.pack; ) in there. still crashes. Like I said, I was able to play it, now I am not, reloaded the scripts after first crash.

That's a known bug and is probably the nice launcher program itself as it is installed on so many different windows versions - so sometimes the script get corrupted or even lost!

Do the following: first make a backup of the whole DMUC Scripts folder, after add again this line at the bottom of the script you play - and also write that into the backup script in the same folder - as the launcher is able to recover this - so you not have to do that every time you start your campaign!

If that is done and the problem occurs again just go with this option:
    [dual Click to open the Launcher] - [click Options] - [click Diagnostics] - [click Enable adv Diag Options - (answer with okay)] - [click Reset DMUC User Scripts] - [click back] - [click back again] and choose the Campaign as usual!!! .

If you lost your script I add one original for you - but the last line is not jet implemented - you have to do that yourself! This are the original DMUC 5.1 scripts

Thanks for the thread man, really helped. i was getting that CTD on launch but i followed your directions and it works now!

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by kmcwilli View Post
    Thanks for the thread man, really helped. i was getting that CTD on launch but i followed your directions and it works now!
    Nice to hear that Hf with DMUC

@tool-geek: Have Syntax's suggestions solved your problem?

well now that i try to launch the game again I am getting the same crash to desktop when i try to launch a grand campaign. I have been observing the scripts and they do tend to disappear from time to time but i have done what syntax advised checking the scripts before i launch and it is still not working.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast