Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop buying Guide

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Laptop buying Guide

Have tea, will search for laptops.
    Does Dell have a problem with other people selling their laptops? Scan, Overclockers, ebuyer don't seem to stock them at first glance.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkamena Diane Pie View Post
    Have tea, will search for laptops.
    Does Dell have a problem with other people selling their laptops? Scan, Overclockers, ebuyer don't seem to stock them at first glance.
    dunno, but enterprise class cant be found usually outside more specialized sites or their own channels. One thing that people do is give a call and get some discounts, for example the elitebooks in the americas are right now with 25% discounts in their W line up

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Refurbished Dell Vostro 3550
    Lenovo B570e2 15.6 inch
    Those are some of the only ones that have processors from the last decade in them that are anywhere near my budget. They both have integrated intel graphics. I know its from amazon, but the normal computer websites don't seem to feature your recommended laptops, maybe its a UK/US thing? Sometimes companies limit what products are sold where. The other source seems to be the manufacturers websites themselves, but again they seem to be pretty expensive there.

have you looked at the manufacturer site itself? try to call the them as well. The vostro line here in brazil is quite cheap at around R$1800 (U$900 or 600 pounds), I think you can find it much cheaper in the UK, the portege line is usually cheaper than the vostro.

here is from dell's own site

http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/vostro-3560/pd

369 quid, and its from this year model as well.

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    600 euro
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    Bulgaria

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Not really.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    no
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming.
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes. Such as Deus ex:HR , Blacklight
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    4h
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is fine.
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    XP or 7. I can install it myself.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
    16:9, 1366 x 768

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    Doesn't matter
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    no
    15) When are you buying this laptop?
    in 1 month or so
    16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4 to 5 years
    Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
    around 500 gb. no ssd
    18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
    DVD-R or DVD burner
    Last edited by SoulBlade; August 15, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blækk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock:  

ok thats a though one, I would forward you to the several asus models from the n series, the a series and the k series. those can be usually found cheaper, and come with a dgpu.

Aside that, i dont recommend going for acers, and the usual toshiba fare for consumers. You probably wont be able to find dell xps, but some inspiron might do the trick, pay attention to the gpu itself, look if its either 6700m, 6600m, 7600m, 7700m, or 540m, 550m, 555m, 640m, 630m, 635m.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

nm
    Last edited by therussian; October 09, 2012 at 10:05 PM.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

powernotebooks is a good reseller. The 6370 aint a very good notebook, it has a just works cooling. I would go for the msi barebones that you talked about.

Also look at xoticpc, rjtech, lpc digital and compare prices/haggle

one of the best prices is the xotic force, barebones from the msi gt 60 and it can be found for 1500 with the 680m, that is a quite a extremely great price

Bad timing for your post , right after I deleted mine. I spent all evening looking at laptops, until I finally realised that I won't be buying one for another 4-5 months, and at that point it will be very different price/hardware wise.

Just to satiate my curiosity though: would it have been worth upgrading the i5-3210 to i7-3630 for $70 more (for Shogun), or would there be no point? Also, same thing for a GTX 660M 2GB ---> GTX 670M 1.5GB (about 60-70$ more).

(ps. Not really willing to go too much more than $1k).

(pps. Thanks for the help. For all of my useless questions, you are very patient)
    Last edited by therussian; October 09, 2012 at 10:22 PM.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

no problem ask away.

yes a quad would be beneficial for s2, simply because the quad has a high turbo value

the 670m is going EOL its a fermi card, much like the 675m, they will be displaced by the 670xm and 675xm, and they are much more interesting. More power and better power consumption.

Problem is that in 4-6 months I would say wait for haswell. Its going to be a very interesting year for mobile cpus, and the thing is that this year it was one of the worst that I saw regarding mobile gpus, so that you know, this year the first whql drivers were launched last month for nvidia, and havent yet for amd. Quite disturbing and there was the enduro problems.

btw despite the 50% jack in price, the 680m is more than 2x more powerful than the 670m, dont count on the 660m

From what I understand about Haswell (what I've been reading here in the Basement) is that it's going to optimise laptop/tablet CPU strength and increase battery life as well? 10-15% increase in CPU power or something like that?

As for the xm cards (and Haswell too I guess), they'll be out by the time I'm ready to buy a new laptop in 4-5 months? Luckily I don't need one urgently so I can wait out the new changes, depending on how soon they'll be happening.

This entire tech-research world is amazing to me, despite me knowing almost nothing about it.

haswell is going to launch at q2 and q3 of next year, right from march to june. The cpu strength that we are hoping and what intel has been hinting are those 10-15%, in terms of igpu its going to be a game changer. And for more mobile machines like ultrabooks its going to be god on earth, since with sharkbay they are going to integrate everything in the cpu, the pch is dead and gone

the xm kepler based gpus are going to launch at the end of this month.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I figured there would be no point in my making my own thread just to leave it for another 3 months.

Quick question: I've decided not to by a new laptop until right up to release date of Rome II in September. Should I be expecting any game changers in terms of hardware that would make me hesitate on getting in til, say, October? Or is this (http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8230-...m1-p-5840.html) they best I'll be able to do (for that kind of money, that is)

Thanks

That I know so far not really, maybe the new 8990m that we dont know if it exists, nor I believe it actually does (9000 is just so soon)

That would probably be out of my budget anyway. Ok cool. So I'll wait till late August to start deciding on a laptop and buy it then. Hopefully prices will drop a bit.

regrettably i dont think that will happen, simply put the clevos are at almost the same price of the last year offerings and from 2 years ago as well. The price on the 780m is higher than that of the 680m, and the 8970m is just a 7970m rebadged

unless amd starts to be offered again on clevos, that price is likely to be maintained

Quote Originally Posted by therussian View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I figured there would be no point in my making my own thread just to leave it for another 3 months.

Quick question: I've decided not to by a new laptop until right up to release date of Rome II in September. Should I be expecting any game changers in terms of hardware that would make me hesitate on getting in til, say, October? Or is this (http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8230-...m1-p-5840.html) they best I'll be able to do (for that kind of money, that is)

Thanks
    That´s the same laptop I´ve been looking at as of lately. Pretty sure it´s the one I´ll buy as well....but I won´t be able to make a purchase untill August or so. I´m wondering as to the actual upgradability of it though, as I´ve heard they are usually talked up quite a bit in regards to that....plus the upgrades are very specific, as such they have you by the balls and can demand very high prices for a GPU for example when you want to upgrade it.

its not that they have you by the balls, its simply that nvidia charges a whole lot for their high end gpus, I dont think that 800 for a gpu is a reasonable price at all. AMD is a bit better at 500

Thanks for the guide, great work. Keep it up!

fair warning this guide is completely and absolutely not up to date, and I wont update this game, there isnt enough demand for the 2h+ that I will have to put forth