Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop buying Guide

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Default Re: Laptop buying Guide

Ouch that was terrible, you can do better.

Dunno about the battery cost, its usually around 200-400 here. The battery life is going to be bad, because the battery life was terrible on those days already, now its degraded. And the spares might have some degration to it, since they are old.

Yeah try to look at those llano and trinity that I mentioned. You can check ebay for some good buys.

I wish I was that cost efficient, gonna have 5 days of non stop party, Im going to be ruined, after all its paula bday, and she has to celebrate, wink wink

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Divided's Avatar Decanus

Man, I got to find a job, earn some cash fast. Or come up with a really good idea... or win the lottery...

Oh, 5 days of non stop party? Really? Is that so? I HA.. err.. pitty you so much, you poor little... guy! How tiresome all those things must be.
    Anyway, have fun.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    !HCTIB

Last edited by Divided; May 22, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
    KM

I would invite you but you dont drink, hehehehe

And its the same paula that I told you, will see how it goes hehehehe

Divided's Avatar Decanus

Well I do drink now and then or at special occasions. I just don't over do it... like some people I know...
    But if it is for paula, then... hehehehehe.. ahem.
    KM

Quote Originally Posted by Divided View Post
    Well I do drink now and then or at special occasions. I just don't over do it... like some people I know...
    But if it is for paula, then... hehehehehe.. ahem.
    uhauahuauhauauhauha brazilian laugh to you!

you are invited them, her bday is thursday, do your best, them we can eat some finne cuisine (boi afogado) in the mountains on saturday and sunday, very small village, just 10k people.

So I am thinking of picking up a Lenovo Y580 with the 1TB+32GBSSD and BluRay options. What are your guys thoughts on that machine, I've seen nothing but good things about it. Lenovo has a good track record with their business line (former IBM machines) and the guts of the laptop are top notch. I'm not interested in paying big bucks for a laptop that has a 680M in it and I think the 660M in the Y580 should be more than enough to play most (if not all games) on high or ultra settings.

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    So I am thinking of picking up a Lenovo Y580 with the 1TB+32GBSSD and BluRay options. What are your guys thoughts on that machine, I've seen nothing but good things about it. Lenovo has a good track record with their business line (former IBM machines) and the guts of the laptop are top notch. I'm not interested in paying big bucks for a laptop that has a 680M in it and I think the 660M in the Y580 should be more than enough to play most (if not all games) on high or ultra settings.
    it actually depends on how much you are going to pay. I would tell you to fill out the form, but well... nevermind fill out the form please.

The Y series is VERY different in terms of construction and support compared to what you are used to see on the thinkpad line up, extremely different. Not saying that they are bad, since we dont know due to the chassis redesign, however they were not the best in the consumer class.]

And another thing you can pay for not so much big bucks if you go for the 7970m, the msi GX 60 is going to come with trinity and the 7970m expected price is 1k

Well I went and took the plunge and was able to pick one up for $1200 + tax and shipping. Which was a price I just couldn't say no to especially with what was under the hood.

I have to work on my lappy for a very long time (+14 straight hours) with heavy workload (database processing). In this case, which brand should I choose in term of performance and stability. I had very bad experience with Vaio laptop. Moreover, my budget is limited (below $1200)

Quote Originally Posted by visser300 View Post
    I have to work on my lappy for a very long time (+14 straight hours) with heavy workload (database processing). In this case, which brand should I choose in term of performance and stability. I had very bad experience with Vaio laptop. Moreover, my budget is limited (below $1200)
    You need it for work, you need no downtime.

Lenovo T series is a good choice, I would go for the T530 with the FHD screen. If you order through B&N you can get great discounts.

The new lattitude and elitebook arent yet available, so I wouldnt get those.

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    Well I went and took the plunge and was able to pick one up for $1200 + tax and shipping. Which was a price I just couldn't say no to especially with what was under the hood.
    you overpaid it. you can get a MSI with a 670m in it with less than that. battery life should be similar and the build quality should be better, I cant say for sure, since the y580 has a new chassis, but the last year MSI chassis was much better in a comparison between the 2, since it still retains the same chassis we can stil draw some notes into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MM View Post
    you overpaid it. you can get a MSI with a 670m in it with less than that. battery life should be similar and the build quality should be better, I cant say for sure, since the y580 has a new chassis, but the last year MSI chassis was much better in a comparison between the 2, since it still retains the same chassis we can stil draw some notes into it.
    No I can't get an MSI with a 670 for less. I've been looking at MSI and Asus products and nothing came close to getting to the 1200 mark. Especially anything with a 670, 675. At best I could get an MSI with a 650 for the same price but without the bluray, 1TB HDD and 32GB SSD. I assume you are talking about the MSI GT60 which retails for $1499. Factor in taxes, duties, and shipping and I would be paying close to $1800~$1900 for it. No thanks.
    Last edited by DisgruntledGoat; June 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Just go for the barebones version the force 16f2, it can be found with sandy for 900 with ivy a little more. look at xoticpc and some other resellers

Vezon's Avatar Miles

I'm trying to decide between a Lenovo IdeaPad V570-1066AWU or a HP Pavilion dv6-6c35dx. The Lenovo has a potential of 3.1 GHz to the HP's 2.5 GHz potential. But the HP has double the memory, and greater cache. The Lenovo has Intel HD Graphics 3000, while the HP has AMD Radeon HD 6620G.
    I don't know which would be better for gaming, seeing as how I'm rather ignorant when it comes to computers.

Of course, if there is a better computer out there for around/under $600 (Don't have a lot of money to throw around), I'd appreciate being pointed at it.

the asus k53 should still be found at more reasonable prices like 500, you could also try the A model as well.

One thing that you should look for are coupons, for HP and dell there are always some available, and for HP the price decrease can fit right into your budget.

In gaming the 6620g will be more powerful than the HD 3000.

Another thing that you could look is the dell vostro line up, those can be had for around 500, and if you add a gpu in there you should come close to 600

Can anyone recommend a cheap laptop, not for gaming, that has reliable battery life and can run Photoshop/Illustrator without issues? I'm currently in the UK.

how much battery life? budget? size?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MM View Post
    how much battery life? budget? size?
    My budgets around £300 could maybe push it to 400. Battery as much as possible and size doesn't really matter. Iv never needed to buy a laptop before but as i'm going abroad I need one.

for 300 quid you are going to go for budget ones, dont expect much of it. Buy whatever that comes with a sandy bridge cpu and you should be fine

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

What's the cheapest laptop (UK location) that can reasonably run M2TW?

explain reasonable...

however even the HD 3000 can run m2tw.

the settings I play are: 1280*800, units high, terrain medium, and I get very stable fps on battles with 3k troops.

For more performance I would grab a gt 640m or a 7750m.

The hp dv6t with a quad ivy and the 650m can usuablly be found cheap, and would play at very good settings even on 1080p, with around 10k troops in the battle.