Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: Laptop buying Guide

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Laptop buying Guide

Have you considered using a service like macincloud or browserstack? https://www.browserstack.com/

Browserstack lets you do a set amount of minutes free while macincloud features a "pay as you go" with $1 per hour of testing. There's probably other solutions to this problem I don't know about, but there's definitely ways around it and cheaper than paying the premium of a gaming worthy Apple laptop in my opinion. You might want to quantify that with direct comparisons to the best cheapest windows gaming laptop (of which there are many) to an Apple one.

Of course, you'd need to do some degree of configuration at first. But in my opinion it beats the configuration problems for games that Apple laptops would face and additional price increase.
    https://support.macincloud.com/suppo...-you-go-server

Submitting an app to the appstore from any of their plans
    https://support.macincloud.com/suppo...ncloud-server-

But if you insist on going the Apple route, you should know there are some solutions which emulate a Windows environment for Mac (even Mac bootcamp by default now iirc) meaning gaming will be slightly less of a hassle on Mac than normal. However there will still be some small internal configuration problems due to the way the operating systems work, and perhaps crashes that otherwise wouldn't happen. I know of some that exist with older TW games for example.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Gave up on laptops about three or four years ago, because I knew that they were underpowered, overpriced and/or overweight.

This was the year for graphics and televisions.

Next year would be a good year to go through a selection of well balanced laptops, considering that a black swan event kinda threw a spanner in demand and supply.

Having said that, going by the number of Intel based laptops that were being discounted during Black Friday and Cyber Monday, if you really need one now, you probably could find something that's suitable.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Have you considered using a service like macincloud or browserstack? https://www.browserstack.com/

Browserstack lets you do a set amount of minutes free while macincloud features a "pay as you go" with $1 per hour of testing. There's probably other solutions to this problem I don't know about, but there's definitely ways around it and cheaper than paying the premium of a gaming worthy Apple laptop in my opinion. You might want to quantify that with direct comparisons to the best cheapest windows gaming laptop (of which there are many) to an Apple one.

Of course, you'd need to do some degree of configuration at first. But in my opinion it beats the configuration problems for games that Apple laptops would face and additional price increase.
    https://support.macincloud.com/suppo...-you-go-server

Submitting an app to the appstore from any of their plans
    https://support.macincloud.com/suppo...ncloud-server-

But if you insist on going the Apple route, you should know there are some solutions which emulate a Windows environment for Mac (even Mac bootcamp by default now iirc) meaning gaming will be slightly less of a hassle on Mac than normal. However there will still be some small internal configuration problems due to the way the operating systems work, and perhaps crashes that otherwise wouldn't happen. I know of some that exist with older TW games for example.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try either the macincloud or browserstack.

It belatedly occurred to me that you might want to attempt those two options first before settling on it as a solution, just to see if it fits for you.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Yes definitely. I will try prolly this weekend. Are you also app dev or game dev?

Yes, I am in fact. My interest in it arose from my time spent scripting in TW mods but I am a software developer rather than game.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Yes, I am in fact. My interest in it arose from my time spent scripting in TW mods but I am a software developer rather than game.
    Cool bro! What language are you using?

The last app I wrote was in C++ but I'm familiar with a few.
    The AI Workshop Creator

The last app I wrote was in C++ but I'm familiar with a few.
    Wow. C++ is good in game development. I learned C++ when I was in Highschool and the last time I used it was 3 years ago.