Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Laptop buying Guide

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Laptop buying Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Incendio View Post
    Hi,

I've just seen a website here in Spain where you can customize a gaming laptop choosing hardware, didn't know this may exist in Spain but do exist. I've seen that the price is lower than what would be in brands such as MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, etc... Are those laptops reliable? (they have the brand of the website). Why MSI, Gigabyte, Asus are more expensive then? Sorry if the question is too basic.
    Could you share the link of the company you mentioned ? I'll run a background test for them if you like. Just to be sure.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 07, 2018 at 08:07 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

my laptop buying guide? Do not buy laptops for gaming. They have physically limits like airflow and cooling and thus they ALWAYS operate at a horrible price / performance ratio. A fast sounding Geforce GTX 980M is on the same level as a PC GTX 670 or so...
    if you need to get stats for displays look here http://displayspecifications.com/
    if you need to get real figures about performance (excl. manual and factory overclocking) I can warmly recommend http://www.userbenchmark.com/ over anything else like cpuboss etc. because you can benchmark your rig and virtually upgrade it and see the impact.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

alqmar, most people are aware of that, but sometimes you move around so much you'd like a laptop with a better gpu so you can play some of your favourite games. And the price/performance has become better, as the "m" chips from the GTX line isn't being used in newer laptops, but they are much closer full-fledged desktop cards in performance.
    Here's a link to the laptop gtx 1060 vs desktop gtx 1060 performance
    http://digiworthy.com/2016/09/26/nvi...op-benchmarks/
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

So I haven't played TW since Rome II, as my laptop died at the time. Had to get a cheaper laptop at the time but have just had a small windfall and looking now to upgrade. Want to be able to play the latest TWs easily and smoothly on high if possible ( was gutted I missed out on Warhammer till now), only other game I feel I have missed out on is EU4. Only other thing I really play is Football Manager too.

Has to be a laptop becuase I ll use for studying and on the move with my writing too.

Budget is £1.5k-£2k, or if something is irresistible I could maybe stretch a couple of £100s
    'One Law, One Land, One Throne!'
    Rudyard Kipling

You'll buy it from UK, right ?
    I could take a look later. I'm currently on the road.

Yes from the Uk.

Two that have caught my eye, rightly or wrongly so far as the below;

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/lapt...op/n00aw15r406

I would upgrade to 16gb of ram - and would get 10% through student discount, so would pay £1,620.

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/P...gaming-laptops

Again with a student discount I can lower the price to £1,486.

Those are the two I have seen, but don't if they are best for value and longevity or whether its overkill and not really needed
    'One Law, One Land, One Throne!'
    Rudyard Kipling

Not bad choices, indeed. It depends on your needs ofc. TW games are CPU hungry (not GPU) so you'll need a better processor mostly, but a quite strong GPU is always needed for gaming. Don't forget you'll play only on 1080p though, so you don't need to get the best (priciest) card.
    From the 2 you have mentioned, I would go for the New Alienware 15 since it's more future-proof and has more raw power. HP has excellent service though ( keep that in mind).
    You could also check this guide for more info. I could upload you a few more choices later if you like. I'm between short trips atm and constantly moving, so Ι'm doing everything from my phone.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

-- deleted --
    Last edited by AqD; August 04, 2018 at 07:54 AM. Reason: NO nvidia chip!!

Hello all, long-time lurker here, mainly lurking because I don't have a computer capable of playing the newer TW games. However, I'm now looking at buying a machine with the following specs:

Intel Core i7 4710MQ quad core, 2.5GHz / 3.5GHz
    8GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M

I'm mainly hoping to play Warhammer Total War. Not too concerned about high performance, but would like it to run smoothly. I'm more or less completely ignorant when it comes to how computers work, but it looks like the CPU speed might be a bit slow (the specs for Warhammer TW state 3.2GHz as recommended). Any thoughts on whether this machine would run the game ok?

Many thanks.

Blog Entries

You should avoid GTX 950M, try to get at least a GTX 1050ti/1060 or an RX 4/570/80. As for the cpu, it's good enough. What's your budget and where do you live?
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    You should avoid GTX 950M, try to get at least a GTX 1050ti/1060 or an RX 4/570/80. As for the cpu, it's good enough. What's your budget and where do you live?
    Thanks for getting back to me. I'm in the UK and at the moment, can go to £400-450 - if I can't getting something suitable for that, I'll wait until I saved more, but saw the laptop with the specs above in that price range so thought I'd check.

Will the GTX 950M just not be able to run it?

Cheers.

Blog Entries

It will run the game, but not well. I highly recommend you save up a couple of hundred pounds more for a thoroughly enjoyable experience
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    It will run the game, but not well. I highly recommend you save up a couple of hundred pounds more for a thoroughly enjoyable experience
    Understood - thanks for the advice.

Ι agree with King Athelstan. It'll be better to wait a bit and save for a more future-proof choice. If you need any suggestions just let us know.

Which do you prefer for gaming, a windows laptop or a macbook?

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Windows is the best, as it is most compatible with games. Macbook originated from unix which is what linux uses. This means many games are not compatible with Macbooks.

Also, macbooks will be more expensive as customers who buy Apple products generally care more about the branding than the hardware components making up the computer.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Windows laptop by far. And some of them are really really good, can be as good as a desktop.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

I think I might consider macbook since I'll be using it also in mobile development in both IOS and android. Windows laptop can't be used in IOS development. And I watched some reviews in gaming for macbook pro 16 and it can also run games like Call of Duty in max graphics settings.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

I used Xamarin when I did any mobile development, as it was cross platform development between IOS and android at the same time.

There's no question that *some* macbooks have similar specs to windows laptops, but they will be more expensive generally speaking for the exact same specs. The most important component for gaming is the GPU (graphics card), so if you check which one has a higher number (XX60, XX70, XX80, XX80ti etc) you will be able to tell the quality of the laptop for gaming purposes or desktop for that matter.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Me too. I am using Xamarin Forms for mobile development. However, I cannot test and publish IOS applications since I don't have macbook, that's why I'm considering on buying macbook to develop mobile apps in IOS and android.