Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Troubleshooting Thread

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Default Empire Troubleshooting Thread

There is a lack of a troubleshooting guide in the ETW forums. This leads to endless threads that could be solved in a matter of minutes just by looking at a thread that had some usual a good fixes and patches to get you back on game in no time. And if this thread don't help you out you can follow our guideline of how to post so we can give the answer in one post, not those long threads, and days, so you can be playing in no time.

This post will be expanded with new solutions.

How to post:

1-) Post your system specs.
    This is a tremondous help and a necessary information for us to help you out. I wil post my specs.

CPU: P7350
    RAM: 4g DDR2 800MHZ (don't need to be that specific)
    HD: 320g
    Graphics Card: HD 4670m 512mb
    monitor/resolution: since it's a notebook I don't know the manufacturer/ 1366*768

I don't know how to do it! Don't fret you can go to Computer and click there with the right button and then click properties in the drop down menu. There you will find the device manager and in that you will find the information.

No can do! go for the run (or for people with 7 and vista the windows menu) and type dxdiag. Run it and please copy only the info shown here!

2-) The problem: describe your problem in the most efficient way, and please try to write the more correctly as possible, there are people, like me, that their primary language is not english.

"I'm having a problem that there are some spots in the screen when playing battles, sometimes they're white and sometimes they're black."

3-) The answer: This can be that since your pc is a notebook (meaning close environment= more concerns about heat) that some of your components are overheating, I would recommend using a cooler pad, and opening it up to clean it. If it doesn't work go for the drivers, change then.

This is the way to post problems here, if you do this, we will get you gamming in no time!

Here are some common problems that people face with ETW

Graphical Issues:

Where is the Smoke! I can't see it!/My graphics options only go to medium not high or ultra!
    This was done with the intent to run NTW smoother in some systems, since this game needs every ounce of memory when crancking up the settings, this limitation was imposed. Now for the fix.

You have to find the script folder, if you don't know where it is:

XP - C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

Vista/7 - %appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

open the only file there and find this line

gfx_video_memory 0; # gfx_video_memory , Override available video memory (bytes) #

now to unlock things change the value 0 to 536870912

ETW run slow, in my ubber gaming pc!
    If you have sli/crossfire, this is trouble, why? the drivers are not mature enough, the games don't scale well, there are tons of problems, do yourself a favor a buy a more expansive card next time. (don't trow stones, you this is true, and I'm not saying jeova, danmit!)

Zabba has provided us with some quick fix, disable sli/crossfire. He run now at the decent speed that this game should get with his pc.

If this is not your case, we have to check for latency issues and memory issues, and some other things.

ETW is having strange issues like units disappearing, battle maps that are incomplete, cities in the campaign map that disappear, and other GRAPHICAL ISSUES.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post

1. Dowload/Install Driver sweeper but dont run it. Download those ati drivers.
    2. Run setup of new drivers and then run the uninstall part. Will search your current install then auto-delete and say reboot.
    3.Reboot and press f8 as it is booting for safe mode. (You could also press del to enter bios but no need atm). It might be a different key press, dpends on your mobo and bios. Your manual should say. Btw reading a mobo manual, however dull is a good idea.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sourc...Safe+mode&fp=1

read up on safe mode if you want.

4. In safe mode run driver sweeper and search just for ati drivers. well u can do nvidia. but if it fresh pc they shouldnt be there!

5. Then pc will want to reboot. Do so then run the setup of the drivers in question and install. Reboot y bobs you aunt and jane's your uncle Shouldnt take more than 10mins.

Right for the nvidia guy you can do the same sort of thing but use device manager and goto where it says your gpu and then uninstall it.

Then reboot and sweep for nvidia only. Reboot and try 181.22 as these drivers I think for nvidia gpu are best. But I know it's crap if you have to use old drivers when perhaps you want to play avp or mass effect2.

Usually ctds with nvidia cards are either the drivers or new updates are interefering with any mods. If you have old mods installed then there is an update you might have to delete your script file, which is sometimes a hidden file located on your c drive in approaming. Or that etw is coded poorly
    But all in your cases making sure your dx is uptodate along with net framework/c++ runtimes is a good idea. Also latest physx.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/nVIDIA-P...load-2442.html
    This also works:

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Things listed that might work. are:
    Turn Shader 3 down to Shader 2,
    Use Windowed mode,
    Roll back your drivers,
    Windows 7, 64 bit,
    Add yours to the Nvidia Survey - see thread for link,
    And hope for the best.

Not one is foolproof.

I have a ATI card! And its giving me some strange issues like: CTDs when trying to change the graphical options, or sudden black screens, or partial screens
    you might have to disable or enable the AA in the catalyst center, doing this it corrects some graphical glitches like those mentioned.

AA is anti aliasing, it means that when the card renders the picture, it gets more smoothed edges, due to having more triangles composing the picture, this is for both ATi and Nvidia.

the catalyst center is located in the windows menu>programs>catalyst control center>choose advanced settings
    Now the program is open you take a look at the options to your left, click in 3d than go to Anti-aliasing, Ansiotropic Filtering, and check the "Use application settings" box. This should do the trick

Some other things to try

Quote Originally Posted by Cainrae View Post
    I have gathered a short list of things which helped me gain a solid 30-45 FPS boost on the battlemap and campaign map, i hope that some of you will have as much use of this, as i had.

Best of luck, Cain

1. Disable CrossFire, if you cannot find CrossFire in your Catalyst Control Center then it's because you ither do not have two cards in your computer, or, you like me own a card with two GPU's in it. If that is the case you need to disable Catalyst AI, i have tested with both "Disabled, Normal and Advanced" where the clear winner was Disabled, the reason being NPW is not yet optimized for CrossFire.

2. Checked to see if i had two sound drivers installed (which in my case, i had)
    If you go into Device Management and then under Sound Devices, you should see one driver installed, if you like me have fx. Realtek and a ATI driver installed, then right click on the ATI Driver and disable it, the issue was mentioned on the AMD-ATI forums and the issue drains a lot of FPS because then sound plays in two layers, where one of them is silenced. This fix gave me a stable 20-30 FPS boost and the game is a lot more enjoyable.

3. The driver setup is important, i for one though have not been affected by any driver related issues on the graphics card, i have tried suggested versions such as 9.6 and 8.5 with neither of them giving me any increase to preformance, but some cards may be affected and i recommend that you try these drivers, i have heard several people saying this fixed their lag/shuttering issues. Personally i run on 10.2 drivers.

Hope the small guide can be of help to some ATI users with similar issues as i had, thanks to the Tech Moderators for their paticence to give me advice, i payed off big time!

Sound Issues

My sound is delayed, it has some strange things, like musket fire sounding awaful, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Throw this one in the troubleshoot if you haven't. X-FI cards have to run Alchemy to have a chance in this game.
    2. Checked to see if i had two sound drivers installed (which in my case, i had)
    If you go into Device Management and then under Sound Devices, you should see one driver installed, if you like me have fx. Realtek and a ATI driver installed, then right click on the ATI Driver and disable it, the issue was mentioned on the AMD-ATI forums and the issue drains a lot of FPS because then sound plays in two layers, where one of them is silenced. This fix gave me a stable 20-30 FPS boost and the game is a lot more enjoyable.

CTD Issues:

ETW suddenly shuts down in the begining, I don't get to the menu screen.
    This can be solved by a simple reinstall. Now doing it the right way.

1- you will need to donwload ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com)
    2- uninstall the game and steam, standard procedure.
    3- reboot
    4- go to the %appdata% ( put this in the search) and delete the creative assembly folder and the steam folder. (remember to enable hidden files and folders)
    5- use ccleaner to clean up the registry, and while doing that clean up the pc as well.
    6-reboot
    7- install ETW and steam.

This simple thing should solve a lot of your problems.

Crash when trying to initiate a campaign/custom battle
    Steam is having some issues in downloading the game, some files might be corrupted.

Verify the cache integrity of the game: go to steam>my games> right click NTW and go for properties. In there click the local files tab, and select "verify integrity of game cache..."

General Issues:

-Flickering issues: "I have bought a new monitor and now ETW don't work anymore."

This is a common issue, and for solving this is a simple matter, go for the connection between the pc and the monitor, ETW don't have a good relationship with digital connections, meaning that you can be saved here if you have that old VGA cable.

Another option here is to delete the scripts folder:
    go to the %appdata% ( put this in the search) go to the creative assembly folder>ETW>scripts delete the contents

You don't have that? It gets though but can be pulled. You will need to try every port so that your connection stays without flicker, this is trial and error, but I don't know another method, you will have to try every connection and cable possible.

My pc suddenly shut down when playing ETW
    The thing here is probably 3 things:

1- Your PC is filled with trash (not meant to be offensive)
    2- your PC has a dust problem
    3- Your PC has a PSU problem

Solutions:

1- Go donwload the ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com), and clean the pc, registry, this program can do everything.
    2- Go take your pc outside and open it, get some canned air or vaccum cleaner (one that blows) and clean it up, for the coolers you will gently hold the fan in place and clean it with air.
    3- Your PC has a PSU that is malfunctioning/not powering it enough, and so it don't provide the juice needed for this game and so it shuts down the pc.

If it still happening you will download the riva tuner and the speed fan utilities and will tell us how is the temperature in the pc. Then we can detect what component is heating.

Steam Issues:

Steam is giving me some strange error, and don't let me play the game!
    Go to the steam forums and solve it there.

I have trouble installing NTW steam won't let/if steam is giving you the "busy server"/ will download all the fies but I have the retail version
    Quote Originally Posted by FroBodine View Post
    It's working now. I just had to quit Steam and restart after entering my registration code. I guess you can't have Steam running when you try to install from DVD.

Important safety tip.

-=Jeff
    Also try uninstalling steam and installing it from the cd, worked for me with ETW.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserJoe View Post
    Nah that didn't work, thanks though.

I tried the steam fix for forcing a CD install -
    1. Close Steam (File > Exit).
    2. Go to the Start button and select Run (XP) or type Run in the Search box and choose Run from the list (Vista).
    3. In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
    Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.

4. Press OK. Your installation should continue from the disc.

I ripped my activation code! what do I do!! OOhh noossss!
    A tip from our beloved Tony:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony83 View Post
    I thought I would share my experience here, for those who may have the same problem.

My Imperial Edition of Nappy Wars was delivered today (hip hip hooray) but, living in the UK I'll not able to do anything with it until Steam unlocks it at 11:00 pm tonight (GMT), but no matter a few hours isn't going to make much difference really. nevertheless, I did have another problem in that when I was peeling off the sticker for the Unique Code for the Heroes of the Napoleonic Wars Units, part of the code came away with it making it unreadable - shock, horror!

However, Sega Support (http://www.sega.co.uk/support/) have come to my rescue. After rising a Support Ticket with them and supplying them with a scanned image of my trashed Code Number, they responded and sent me a replacement within 15 minutes. How's that for service?

Thankyou Sega.

Steam is giving me the fritz! He wants to download things at the speed of a turtle!
    Try changing servers
    Last edited by karamazovmm; March 08, 2010 at 10:20 PM.

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Icon9 Re: Troubleshoot, or the What the heck happened!

Hey Im having trouble figuring out why my game crashes in some land battles..usually towards the end. I dont know if its overloading my graphics or audio or if a mod is conflicting.

I dont have my graphics set very high, im getting around 20+FPS smooth. my audio is set to 128 channels,100mb memory with large sound variation.

Im using:
    Nvidia 7100 680i motherboard
    Intel Pentium Dual Core @ 2.20Ghz
    3Gb ram
    Nvidia 9500gt 1GB graphics card
    Vista 64bit
    (note: my PSU is 100W underpowered for that card)
    Monitor:
    17" 4:3
    1024x1024 (in game and on desktop)
    60mhz refresh rate
    No vsync in game.

Here is the script I use on launch (through mod manager):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    mod "telescope_officer.pack";
    mod "officer_animations.pack";
    mod "officer_cavalry_animations.pack";
    mod "animation_mod_run.pack";
    mod "tighterformations_1_5.pack";
    mod "aum_mod.pack";
    mod "UPRP_Full_Edition_1.1.pack";
    mod "mod_fifesndrums.pack";
    mod "mod_BSM_4_medium.pack";
    mod "mod_WeaponFX2.pack";
    mod "ETF.pack";
    mod "tuca_music.pack";
    mod "ATM_v12a.pack";
    mod "ATM_addon.pack";
    mod "equipment_tweak_mod.pack";

I have Empire Optimized Light installed as well.

I dont know if thats this thread was meant for, but I think im in the right place.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

+Rep for great Thread Idea as ell as easy to follow instructions.
    Last edited by shadowdrummer46; February 12, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
    Aspiring Scientist and Millitary Enthusiast
    I tend to be long-winded. Thanks for any help!
    _______________ExRM__EB___________________
    My In-Depth ETW Prussian Campaign Guide Can be found Here.
    You Can Find My ExRM Knowledge-Sharing Thread Here

Default Re: Troubleshoot, or the What the heck happened!

It sure is. My advice for you is this, there are so much variables in here that is damn difficult to point one thing out. The error is not constant, right? So you could try to see if there is any mod that is incompatible with each other, I used Darthmod and another custom mod, they entered in conflict I could get as far as 600 men, although I have set the game to high unit sizes, meaning it was a little over populated.

This should be a one by one process. It is tiresome.

This could also be hardware related, since you stated that your PSU is toggling down your system, and so it could shut itself down when needed, since your system is pushing it to the breaking point. And there is also my favorite the dust.

O trust me, I've spent over 4 days troubleshooting. Ive changed load orders, disabled mods one by one, and it will work for some battles, until it decides I dont deserve a heroic victory or something. I made sure to check the Mod forums for compatibility and load order, but still nothing....lol I just installed DMUC instead.

As far as the PSU shutting down the system, it doesnt shut down the pc just CTD. (thats probably what you meant anyway)

But thanks for the quick reply
    Last edited by shadowdrummer46; February 13, 2010 at 09:34 AM.
    Aspiring Scientist and Millitary Enthusiast
    I tend to be long-winded. Thanks for any help!
    _______________ExRM__EB___________________
    My In-Depth ETW Prussian Campaign Guide Can be found Here.
    You Can Find My ExRM Knowledge-Sharing Thread Here

i just converted my laptop from vista to windows 7 and now my sound isnt working? is it something i need to do?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by lordskater121 View Post
    i just converted my laptop from vista to windows 7 and now my sound isnt working? is it something i need to do?
    If your sound is integrated, go to your motherboard's webiste and get the sound drivers for it. If you still have the motherboard install disc, the Vista drivers still may work.

Don't depend on Microsoft for anything.

Irishron in this case (win 7) microsoft has done a quality job with drivers and such, of course they're mostly outdated in most cases, but it can give you a running pc with just the install, (also usually). But as always your advice holds truth, (ohh I kiss ass!)

@shadowdrummer46

have you tried pure vanilla? it maybe some mods that aren't working well with the latest patch
    Last edited by karamazovmm; February 14, 2010 at 07:17 PM.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

I said it because when I installed Win7, I had to chase down the motherboard drivers. Win7 had zero of them. That included sound, south bridge, lan, and I forget three or four others. Microsoft does only enough for the customer outside its own products for litigation purposes. It's updates for its own products on older versions is atrocious at best.

I said it because when I installed Win7, I had to chase down the motherboard drivers. Win7 had zero of them. That included sound, south bridge, lan, and I forget three or four others. Microsoft does only enough for the customer outside its own products for litigation purposes. It's updates for its own products on older versions is atrocious at best.
    I had mine on the go, but yes there service is horrible

Great thread idea, was needed! Less work for me hehe..Shall we put up a few links?

Guys goto this page to download programs to oc/test stability/drivers/monitor temps etc. I can be on hand to answer any questions.

I use driver sweeper rather than cccleaner. But both are good.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D--...load-1655.html

Save this to your favourites!

Plus http://forums.guru3d.com/index.php There are often threads re Total war games. I might create a Napoleon one soon and will update it with any fixes etc.

I shall update the first post with these links that you provided, if you have more love come here and spread it out, we can have a solid thread, making it more hassle for everyone.

Hi I have problems with ctd's during battles, it all started after I put my new ram and radeon 5870 into my pc. (I have also reinstalled my computer totally)

Asus p5k p35 - motherboard.
    Intel(R) core(TM) duo cpu e8500 3,16ghz (2cpus) - cpu
    4gb ram (3,25 visibleCrucial DDR2 PC5300 4GB KIT) - ram
    ATI radeon 5870 - graphic card
    Vista 32-bit

Benq 22''
    1680x1050 (60mhz)

Note when I run dxdiag I find a note at the bottom saying the file atiumdag.dll,atidxx32.dll,atidxx32.dll,atiumdva.cap is not digitaly signed, which means it has not been tested by Microsoft windows hardware quality labs (WHQL). You may get a WHQL signed file from the manufacturer of the machine.

Under the audio section the file File P17.sys has the same message.
    Translated it myself so there may be an error or two

///Adam of Sweden
    Last edited by anthrax; February 16, 2010 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anthrax View Post
    Hi I have problems with ctd's during battles, it all started after I put my new ram and radeon 5870 into my pc. (I have also reinstalled my computer totally)

Asus p5k p35 - motherboard.
    Intel(R) core(TM) duo cpu e8500 3,16ghz (2cpus) - cpu
    4gb ram (3,25 visibleCrucial DDR2 PC5300 4GB KIT) - ram
    ATI radeon 5870 - graphic card
    Vista 32-bit

Benq 22''
    1680x1050 (60mhz)

Note when I run dxdiag I find a note at the bottom saying the file atiumdag.dll,atidxx32.dll,atidxx32.dll,atiumdva.cap is not digitaly signed, which means it has not been tested by Microsoft windows hardware quality labs (WHQL). You may get a WHQL signed file from the manufacturer of the machine.

Under the audio section the file File P17.sys has the same message.
    Translated it myself so there may be an error or two

///Adam of Sweden
    Right could be driver issues. When I changed from nvidia to ati (295>285>5870) I did a fresh install of os but also format of hdds.

I would download this program

and these drivers (have tested etw with them and apart from a few niggles they seems fast. well i was running 2x2 custom battle at around 80fps...

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=315404

what u need to do is use the setup of the new drivers and then use the uninstall part - run uninstall. it will then say reboot but on reboot press the f8 key which will then take you 2 safe mode.

in safe mode run driver sweeper and you can clean both nvidia/ati drivers. then reboot and re-run the setup of the above linked drivers and install. reboot and you shoud be able to run etw no probs.

saying that i dont force aa/af for etw via ccc. i use in-game settings. in fact this is advisable for most games, although with mass effect 2 it is diff (these drivers are great for masseffect2).

sometimes i have noticed fps will go down in etw 2 around 45fps or so. i alt/tabbed and ccc was not responding. i went back from desktop to game and the fps went back up again to 80 or so. perhaps ccc is temperamental or it's a etw glitch with some drivers. bottom line you should be over 60fps with a 5870 vsync off.

p.s have physx installled for an ati as even though you cant use it (ati uses diff formatts like open cl/havok) you need it for some games. only sweep video drivers when using driver sweeper.

p.p.s use multi-sample aa for etw but other titles like codmodernwarfare 2 and masseffect 2 seem to like adaptive mutli-sample aa (the middle setting in aa mode).
    Last edited by Totalheadache; February 16, 2010 at 08:17 AM.

Right could be driver issues. When I changed from nvidia to ati (295>285>5870) I did a fresh install of os but also format of hdds.

I would download this program

and these drivers (have tested etw with them and apart from a few niggles they seems fast. well i was running 2x2 custom battle at around 80fps...

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=315404

what u need to do is use the setup of the new drivers and then use the uninstall part. it will then say reboot but on reboot press the f8 key which will then take you 2 safe mode.

in safe mode run driver sweeper and you can clean both nvidia/ati drivers. then reboot and re-run the setup of the above linked drivers and install. reboot and you shoud be able to run etw no probs.

saying that i dont force aa/af for etw via ccc. i use in-game settings. in fact this is advisable for most games, although with mass effect 2 it is diff (these drivers are great for masseffect2).

sometimes i have noticed fps will go down in etw 2 around 45fps or so. i alt/tabbed and ccc was not responding. i went back from desktop to game and the fps went back up again to 80 or so. perhaps ccc is temperamental or it's a etw glitch with some drivers. bottom line you should be over 60fps with a 5870 vsync off.

p.s have physx installled for an ati as even though you cant use it (ati uses diff formatts like open cl/havok) you need it for some games. only sweep video drivers when using driver sweeper.

I allready have the sweeper, you want me to sweep away all drives now? will take forever to reinstall....

Is that patch for my graphic card?

...okey I don't understand sweep first or what? can you take me through the procedure by using numbers

I should not sweep all? ------> "p.s have physx installled for an ati as even though you cant use it (ati uses diff formatts like open cl/havok) you need it for some games. only sweep video drivers when using driver sweeper. "

Sorry for not understanding

Dark_Orbit's Avatar Laetus

Hello.

I am running on a PC with these specifications:

CPU: E2180
    RAM: 4gb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

I have looked at enough existing information on Empire to know that the game is notorious for random crashes. I am afflicted with these same random crashes---always taking place on the campaign map or in a battle. It can be when I click on something, when I move the mouse, when I try to quick save, or when I do nothing at all, and I will be sent back to Windows with Vista's unhelpful "Empire : Total War has encountered a problem and needed to close, we're checking for a solution" blah blah blah. So, literally random crashes. I run the game on its lowest possible graphics settings, and when I updated my video driver I actually never did experience a random crash back to Windows, but the game was unplayably buggy, my cities on the campaign map disappearing at random, so I had to undo that video driver update.

My Steam account has claimed to have downloaded all available updates and every one of the "creative alternative solutions" I encountered did not apply to a 64-bit OS. Simply due to the game's history of similar problems, I am led to believe that this is not a hardware issue, and yet the absence of the crashes when I updated my driver (to the complete haywiring of the in-game graphics) leads me to believe that it might be, in which case I'm probably more pissed at the company's liberal minimum requirements than anything else.

If anybody has found any alternative solutions or downloadable fixes, or has any comments that could help me solve this so that I can actually play the game 20 minutes straight without getting frustrated over a lost battle, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by anthrax View Post
    I allready have the sweeper, you want me to sweep away all drives now? will take forever to reinstall....

Is that patch for my graphic card?

...okey I don't understand sweep first or what? can you take me through the procedure by using numbers

I should not sweep all? ------> "p.s have physx installled for an ati as even though you cant use it (ati uses diff formatts like open cl/havok) you need it for some games. only sweep video drivers when using driver sweeper. "

Sorry for not understanding
    Right will try and kill two birds with one stone here. So to answer Swedish chap first then the boyo's post.

2. Run setup of new drivers and then run the uninstall part. Will search your current install then auto-delete and say reboot.
    3.Reboot and press f8 as it is booting for safe mode. (You could also press del to enter bios but no need atm). It might be a different key press, dpends on your mobo and bios. Your manual should say. Btw reading a mobo manual, however dull is a good idea.

4. In safe mode run driver sweeper and search just for ati drivers. well u can do nvidia. but if it fresh pc they shouldnt be there!

5. Then pc will want to reboot. Do so then run the setup of the drivers in question and install. Reboot y bobs you aunt and jane's your uncle Shouldnt take more than 10mins.

Right for the nvidia guy you can do the same sort of thing but use device manager and goto where it says your gpu and then uninstall it.

Then reboot and sweep for nvidia only. Reboot and try 181.22 as these drivers I think for nvidia gpu are best. But I know it's crap if you have to use old drivers when perhaps you want to play avp or mass effect2.

Usually ctds with nvidia cards are either the drivers or new updates are interefering with any mods. If you have old mods installed then there is an update you might have to delete your script file, which is sometimes a hidden file located on your c drive in approaming. Or that etw is coded poorly
    But all in your cases making sure your dx is uptodate along with net framework/c++ runtimes is a good idea. Also latest physx.

Last edited by Totalheadache; February 17, 2010 at 02:39 AM.

Right will try and kill two birds with one stone here. So to answer Swedish chap first then the boyo's post.

Okey now I understand....

I installed the drivers yesterday hope that doesn't mess things up....

I got a blue screen after uninstalling the ati drivers then everything went as planned...

I'll try to play in a while, thx I might get back to you

I was able to play two battles without ctds but now it happened again !

Give me a break just tryed again and ctd after 5 minutes!
    Last edited by anthrax; February 17, 2010 at 06:15 AM.

Hi, I'm brand new to the Total War series but have much experience with different war games of the same and earlier eras. I have gotten Medieval Total War 2 working fine, with a decently high frame rate, but Empire: TW is a different story.

On the game turn section, i'm not sure what its called commonly, but that section works great. Playing battles is a whole other story. When i play battles normally like a random battle from the main menu, it works fine. When its through the campaign, the screen turns black and has graphics issues. Also, i have all the settings to low because i would much rather have a high frame rate and low graphics than vice versa. I really dont even mind the low graphics either. Thanks for your help.

- E.0.S.

Here are my computer specs, i'm not sure what you want, so i just took a screen shot of it and here they are.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast