View Poll Results: Do you like this mod ???

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes !!!

57 71.25%
  • No !!!

23 28.75%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Croatia playble mod 1.0

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

Default Re: Croatia playble mod 1.0

Hi ♔ Tsar ♔ - it is a good mod, and let me know what you need/want in terms of DMUC compatabilty and I will endeavour to help a fellow duffer
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

That will be great to make this mod compatible with DMUC.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔hammeredalways♔ View Post
    Hi ♔ Tsar ♔ - it is a good mod, and let me know what you need/want in terms of DMUC compatabilty and I will endeavour to help a fellow duffer
    Thank you my friend !!!

Kaunitz's Avatar Centenarius

I don't bother that it's not "historical" and about the austria-bashing in the introduction (there was never an austrian king btw : either there were archduces or -from 1804 on, to hose Napoleon - emperors of Austria). However, the introduction really needs some further work .

But I'm sad that CA doesn't manage to do history and mankind in general a favour and creates factions on a "dynasty" basis rather than on a "national" basis. Instead of "Austria" we should be playing the House of Habsburg - ruling (amongst others) over the archduchy of Austria and the two kingdoms of Bohemia and Hungary. Instead of England/Great Britain we should be playing the House of Hannover, instead of Spain we should be playing the House of Bourbon, etc. etc. But I guess that this is just too complicated for CA. Why don't we have marriages anymore, by the way?

No really, Croatia (and also other territories) is a very interesting area. What about this "intro-picture"?

(Dragoon versus Kuruc ) In the background you can see another rider with a special form of kalpak on his head (I've forgotten the name of it....)

AFAIK Basically, Croatia-Slawonia has been in personal union with the kindgom of Hungary (the non-ottoman part was basically ruled by habsburg rulers since middle 16th century). However, the croatian-slawonian estates who met in the diet (Sabor; I would never call them "parlament" ), lead by the Ban(us) in Agram, insisted on Croatias special status within Hungary. E.g. 1655 they protested against the term "Hungaria et partes eius adnexae" (the latter meaning croatia ) used in the hungarian diet. Moreover, the laws passed by the hungarian diet had to be accepted by the croatian-slawonian diet. Furthermore, the croatian-slawonian nobility remained catholic for the most part, whereas many hungarian nobles converted to Lutheranism/Calvinism (the Grenzers, on the other hand, were orthodox for the mmost part?). So relations between Hungary and Croatia-Slawonia remained tense.

The interests of the croatian-slawonian nobility had more in common with those of the inner-austrian (Styria, Gorizia and Gradisca, Carniola) estates: protection from and organising a defense against the Ottomans. 1526, the croatian-slawonian Sabor accepted/elected Ferdinand I. as hereditary king in return for his promise to put up a defense against the Ottomans. How did they do it? Well, some uskoci who were fleeing from the Ottomans have been settled in the border region. They've been given special status (freehold property) in return for local military services. The whole thing has been financed by the estates of Croatia-slawonia and Inner-austria. This means that the Grenzer-territories developed into tax-free territories, only subject to the Habsburgs. The croatian-slawonian etsates actually tried to obtain the jurisdiction in the Grenzer-territories but were led down by the Habsburgs.

The hungarian and croatian-slawonian nobles became quite discontent with the Habsburg rulers, blaming them not to be aggressive enough against the Ottomans. Meanwhile the Habsburg court struggled for more money and was worried with the prospect of war with France most of the time. The 17th century is full of hungarian-croatian rebellions, most notably the Bocskay-rebellion, magnate conspiracy and various kuruc-uprisings (link 2). However, the more success the Habsburgs had against the Ottomans towads the end of the 17th century, the easier it became to, well, do what they want in Hungary - very loosely speaking, Hungary has been cruelly subjected to absolutist rule (no diet, no palatin anymore for some time) and "re-catholisation". Only under Maria Theresia did the relationship with Hungary improve significantly (to drop again under Joseph II. ....).

Back to the Grenzers/Hajduks/Pandurs: After Habsburg successes in driving back the Ottomans - thus shifting the frontier "forward" to Belgrad - , the military border in Croatia became more and more dispensable. 1699, the dissolution of the Warasdin frontier had been discussed, but faced with the prospect of a Grenzer-rebellion, the idea has been dropped. In the middle of the 18th century, the financing was assigned from the estates of Inner Austria to the center in Vienna. Something had to be done with those tax-exempt farmer-soldiers, occupying special territory within Croatia. So, between 1745 and 1770, the Grenzer-societes have been militarized: in the future, they were not supposed to defend their homes, but rather they've been incorporated to the Habsburg army, and were supposed to fight far away from home (e.g. in Bohemia and Silesia in the Seven Years War...). 11 regiments (with uniforms) have been established. However, the financing remained a BIG problem. The Grenzers were supposed to pay their uniforms, but since all Grenzer-societies were based on agriculture, they hardly possessed any money. Moreover, the men on "frontier-duty" were missing at home to work the fields. For this reason, "Militärkommunitäten" have been established in the 1750s and 1760s. Basically these were upgraded villages which were supposed to boost the economy in the Grenzer-terrtories - but the whole thing failed.

1848, with the abolition of serfdom in Austria and Hungary, the Grenzer-status lost all its advantages. Now everybody could have freehold-property, but the Grenzers were still supposed to do military service. So it didn't take long until the military border was officially abolished (1881).

So basically, in ETW, all this is represented in "government types" and "uprisings".... a game is a game. We don't get bohemian/austrian/hungarian/coratian-slawonian etc. estates, we don't get independent Grenzer territories. Oh, there's also an wikipedia-article on the military frontier: link. I'd love to have a game covering Habsburg-Hungarian-Croatian_Ottoman conflicts (apart from Cossacks I). Unfortunatly, I think it won't fit to hollywood-taste (which seems to be preoccupied with France-Great Britain-USA according to my oberservations ^^ - no reproach, hust a finding).

PS: Somehow, the Kuruc-rebellions are still present in Vienna and Austria . E.g. the "Linienwall" (a defensive palisade) has been set up in response of the Rakoczi-rebellion. Today, the "Gürtel" - one of the main traffic lanes in Vienna - roughly follows its course. Moreover, old people have the saying "Kuruzzi-Türken!" when they're upset, refering to the "kuruc" and the "ottomans".

Last edited by Kaunitz; May 08, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
    KAUNITZ PROJECT
    - a modding project for a better representation of XVIIIth century warfare -

Hi ♔ Tsar ♔ - you are welcome just let me know here, via PM or on the Darth boards http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=354714, lets hope the other non historic chap does not look he may have a heart attack at what we have done. Though of course he should probably take account that as soon as the first turn is started the game becomes non historical

Hi Kaunitz good post mate as always
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Can someboy tell me on PM how can i create new units, with what program ???

Can i use units from NTW, is that possible ???
    Last edited by ♔ Tsar ♔; May 09, 2010 at 06:56 AM.

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

well my friend I dont have ETW anymore, and I'm quite busy with my Adriatic: Total War, so I'm not sure how much will I be able to participate, but this is first mod I ever made, and first and only that got released, so i'll probably help you
    @Kaunitz you certanly know a lot about Croatian history, and situation in lands that would later become Habsburg Monarchy, not much non-Croats who know all that, so +rep

just to add, when Croatian Sabor chosen Ferdinand Habsburg as king in 1527 after the battle of Mohács, while Magyars chosen Zapolja as their king, the reason for this was the fact that Zapolja couldnt help Croatia to defend itself from Turks, while Ferdinand was...
    Last edited by Hrobatos; May 09, 2010 at 07:09 AM.

Hi ♔ Tsar ♔ - the guide here is very good

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...238847&page=17

DB editor
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=280329

DB manual
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=332238

PFM
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=346400

ESF editor
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=303205

Esf and Startpos tutorial
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=272139

I also find worth checking out the NTW boards many of the Modders have moved across and some of the tools and tutorials have been updated/simplified the NTW PFM is much better for example, I have found most of the tools etc. work fine with ETW
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1435

In terms of graphics Photoshop if you have it, if not it must be purchased, or try GIMP it is free and works fine. You will also need the Nvidia DDS plug in.

For models 3D max if money is no issue, if not Milkshape ($35 dollars US - 30 day free trial)

There is also a model convertor by Knight Errant

NTW units cannot be used in ETW different process, you could replicate with an ETW model though

let me know if you need anything

Thank you ♔hammeredalways♔, i will try to make new units.

Hi ♔ Tsar ♔ - no probs., looking forward to them, if you get stuck just shout if I can help I will do my best

Hi ♔ Tsar ♔ - I think we can use something like this as the basis for the Hrvatski Alkar.

I have had a look at the other images and most should be ok, there may be the odd part that is beyond me.

If you can give me a few days I will put them together and in a pack for you.

Hi ♔hammeredalways♔ - The unit Hrvatski Alkari looks great, i have PM you something that may help you.

I want you people to say me, what bugs have you find in this mod !!!
    Tell me and i will fix them in this new update !!!

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

for bugs, as I can recall, there was a church, it should be catholic

you could make that by using Saxony for base faction, you'll make new units si color of unifroms is unimportant
    for other bugs, well you could include some reskin packs of other factions, and make all factions playable

That new update will be compatibile with DMUC !!!

Xwhyzed's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Kaunitz View Post
    I don't bother that it's not "historical" and about the austria-bashing in the introduction (there was never an austrian king btw : either there were archduces or -from 1804 on, to hose Napoleon - emperors of Austria). However, the introduction really needs some further work .

PS: Somehow, the Kuruc-rebellions are still present in Vienna and Austria . E.g. the "Linienwall" (a defensive palisade) has been set up in response of the Rakoczi-rebellion. Today, the "Gürtel" - one of the main traffic lanes in Vienna - roughly follows its course. Moreover, old people have the saying "Kuruzzi-Türken!" when they're upset, refering to the "kuruc" and the "ottomans".
    The Kuruc-rebellion was Rákóczi's War for Independence (Hungary tried to gain independence from Austria) 1703-1711.
    In this war the Croatian forces were fighting on the side of Austria... they were not Kuruc

Yes, we were fighting on side of Austria against Hungary.

Kaunitz's Avatar Centenarius

Oh, I see! Right you are! I'm not an expert on this topic. If you said "Habsburg" instead of Austria, I'm happy. I've written the post above because I saw the "national description" and was like: "Whow! Wait a minute!". It sounds like a fantasy-setting. Wasn't Rakoczi very interested in an independent "Siebenbürgen" (Transylvania), by the way? Just asking out of curiosity, I think I've read about something like this somewhere.
    KAUNITZ PROJECT
    - a modding project for a better representation of XVIIIth century warfare -

Xwhyzed's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Kaunitz View Post
    Oh, I see! Right you are! I'm not an expert on this topic. If you said "Habsburg" instead of Austria, I'm happy. I've written the post above because I saw the "national description" and was like: "Whow! Wait a minute!". It sounds like a fantasy-setting. Wasn't Rakoczi very interested in an independent "Siebenbürgen" (Transylvania), by the way? Just asking out of curiosity, I think I've read about something like this somewhere.
    Transylvania was part of Hungary from 1003. (It was only taken after the world war. Sadly, bacause millions of Hungarians lived there and many still live there now.)
    Rakoczi wanted Transylvania and Hungary to be independent from the Habsburg empire.

Hi Kaunitz - I just want to say that this mod is not historically accurate. National Description is invented.
    Last edited by ♔ Tsar ♔; May 12, 2010 at 12:53 AM.