Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kingdoms of the Isles - Signatures

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Gibson and his "Brave heart"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bruce View Post
    Never heard of it, is it even a real place?
    Nah, it's just a proverbial warning to all those that eat too much. It's not real.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    I don't know if you can ever call a film involving the battle of Sterling bridge without a bridge historically accurate, and as far as I'm aware there was no historical Marion.
    To sum it up I have a quote from historian Sharon Krossa:
    "The events aren't accurate, the dates aren't accurate, the characters aren't accurate, the names aren't accurate, the clothes aren't accurate -- in short, just about nothing is accurate"

Fab epic film though.
    I would prefer a quote from Anchorman "Based on a true story, only peoples names, dates and events have been changed", but its still a good film, gladiator wasnt accurate either but it was still awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brittanicus View Post
    I would prefer a quote from Anchorman "Based on a true story, only peoples names, dates and events have been changed", but its still a good film, gladiator wasnt accurate either but it was still awesome.
    I think the writers of gladiator had an inside joke about asking the emperor if he'd ever hugged a plague victim, since Markus Aurelias died of the plague

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    I think the writers of gladiator had an inside joke about asking the emperor if he'd ever hugged a plague victim, since Markus Aurelias died of the plague
    Marcus Aurelius most likely did not die of plague. The sources seem to suggest that he may have had some kind of cancer, but there is nothing definitive about his cause of death.

If I recall, that piece of trash movie had it that his son murdered him.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

It did yes, I took the information from my friend about the plague, he has a masters in classics so i assume his information is better then mine :p According to him there is evidence he had the plague from campaigning in asia minor but that it doesn't actually say he died of it.

It did yes, I took the information from my friend about the plague, he has a masters in classics so i assume his information is better then mine :p According to him there is evidence he had the plague from campaigning in asia minor but that it doesn't actually say he died of it.
    The Parthian campaign was over in 167. He died in 180...that's a long time to carry the plague.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

That is true, i will say that 'plague' is very vague and could relate to many things. He may never have fully recovered from whatever it was although that is speculation on my part as i don't really know a whole lot about his life. Dark age irland is by far my area of interest along with early middle ages ireland I should just say ireland 700ad-ish to 1400ad-ish.

Dark age irland is by far my area of interest along with early middle ages ireland I should just say ireland 700ad-ish to 1400ad-ish.
    I'll give you a bit of advice: Medieval historians do not particularly like it when people refer to the Early Middle Ages as the Dark Age. It's a misnomer (particularly when referring to Ireland) that isn't really used anymore. Instead, we use Early (@400-1000), High (@1000-1300) and Late (@1300-1500) Middle Ages.

-John G. Hartung

The thing i find odd about ireland is that between 800 ad and 1300 ad there didn't really seem to any discernible advances in gaelic warfare. The only real changes came from outside, the galloglaigh, Anglo-Irish men-at-arms etc. Afaik this perid was longer then that but i haven't really read up on it.

Default Re: Kingdoms of the Isles - Signatures

Here's another sig;

The thing i find odd about ireland is that between 800 ad and 1300 ad there didn't really seem to any discernible advances in gaelic warfare. The only real changes came from outside, the galloglaigh, Anglo-Irish men-at-arms etc. Afaik this perid was longer then that but i haven't really read up on it.
    Well, I wouldn't really call it odd. I'm sure that the political disunity in Ireland, along with being on the short end of several pretty major invasions during that period, stunted things a bit. The Irish were more or less like the Scots before the French...raiding parties with internal power struggles. Of course, that is a bit of an oversimplification. That said, prior to 800, things were looking up for Ireland...and again after 1000 or so. In fact, until the Norman conquest of Ireland, the Irish were considered quite a threat to England...which could be why Henry II was somewhat reluctant to bring an army of his own there, but instead allowed Diarmaid Mac Murchadha to hire some of his Norman subjects as mercenaries for his own cause. It wasn't really until Richard de Clare tried to assert his claim to the Irish throne that Henry really became that interested.

-John G. Hartung

Nice one smoesville!

Is that a real castle?

I don't think so, it's a painting.

Reminds me a bit of Fast Castle:

Looks a bit like this one aswell;

Nice. I've added your sigs to the first post.

Eilean Donan. One of my favourite places on Earth.

The present castle is actually a modern reconstruction built on the ruins of the original medieval building. It used to look like this:

The bridge is also a modern addition.

A shot I took a couple of years ago:
    Click to view content: 

Last edited by The Bruce; December 11, 2010 at 05:51 PM.

Is that not the castle from highlander?

Last edited by smoesville; December 12, 2010 at 01:00 PM.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Giddy up, I like those signatures smoesville so much, I'll use one!

Cool, i have to say my favorite is the one you're using. I like the way Bruces nice sunny picture can turn so easily to rain and storm with photoshop

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Is that not the castle from highlander?
    Yes it sure is smoesville, great movie! Just needed more clan warfare in it. Your signatures and 2D work are very good...even if Bruce did manage to take an absolutely brilliant photo!
    Last edited by The Border Reiver; December 13, 2010 at 06:09 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast