Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kingdoms of the Isles - Signatures

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Gibson and his "Brave heart"

Braveheart was the name givin to Robert The Bruce not William Wallace.

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by philipOhayda View Post
    Well Robert the Bruce was still in the Braveheart movie and at the end it was him that was leading the Scots.

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Celtic music

Arthurian:TW music is the best Celtic/Gaelic sort of tribal music you're going to find imo.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

I'm sure it was the other way around as the movie was about William Wallace and not Robert the Bruce.

Patrician

Arthurian:TW music is the best Celtic/Gaelic sort of tribal music you're going to find imo.
    Yeah it is very good, I'm sure Hross created most of it.

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

nope hes right 'Braveheart' was Bruce not Wallace

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver View Post
    Yeah it is very good, I'm sure Hross created most of it.
    Wow, didnt realise that it was all by one dude! I've tried to find decent sort of tribal/Gaelic music before but had zero luck fnding any then I played that mod and the music was brilliant. Obviously comparing mods is poor form but the music was especially good and I think that it would fit in rather well for a mod with Scotland and Ireland featuring predominantly.

thx for the info guys

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

One of the earliest harp tunes is Archibald MacDonald of Kepoch. Lots of versions of it.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

im watching the movie now and i forget the line but the bruce says something about having heart so i believe the title is about him finding the courage and heart to lead the scots to freedom

Patrician

nope hes right 'Braveheart' was Bruce not Wallace
    Yep, I've just watched it again and you're all right and I'm not so right

Kevvy's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    I don't know if you can ever call a film involving the battle of Sterling bridge without a bridge historically accurate, and as far as I'm aware there was no historical Marion.
    To sum it up I have a quote from historian Sharon Krossa:
    "The events aren't accurate, the dates aren't accurate, the characters aren't accurate, the names aren't accurate, the clothes aren't accurate -- in short, just about nothing is accurate"

Fab epic film though.
    I think there was mention of a possible wife for wallace called marion braidfute (not entirely sure on the spelling) but to be honest with so much mystery and legend surrounding wallace there isn't much that can be definitively proved.

madrush's Avatar Senator

I would say its historical for the most part.....but back in that day the scots DID have chainmail few wore them but still had them, wallace wore a ***! load of it, not the way gibson imagined lol

'Braveheart' was Bruce not Wallace, I agreed too
    But Gibson have a manichean vision of the world, well in his mind England/monarchy was the enemy of Scotia/democracy, or something. Seriously, this film is jocking, its "'The Patriot" during the Middles Ages, nothing more.
    Assassination of John Comyn in the church should be a better scene than the execution of the Wallace's wife, I think.

John Comyn was not assassinated in the church, he accidentally impaled himself on a candlestick and the Bruce had his men end the agony. Perhaps.

Well, I read in my book this, assassination of John Comyn "the Red", and his uncle, Robert, in the Franciscan church of Dumfries. After absolution by Wishart, bishop of Glasgow.
    "Histoire de l'Ecosse", Michel Duchein
    Last edited by VINC.XXIII; October 22, 2010 at 02:26 PM.

Well no one really knows what happened but the candlestick idea is pretty unlikely!

Its probable that the Bruce and the Comyn argued and it got out of hand, the Bruce wounded the Comyn severely and then his aides finished the job.

It is however pretty certain that this was not a planned killing (i.e. an assassination).

The incident did Bruce no favours, he would never have planned to kill someone in a church and the death of his rival forced the Bruce to seize the crown prematurely, long before he was ready militarily or politically.

In the ensuing civil war the Bruce suffered many setbacks and it is fairly miraculous that he survived to eventually secure his throne.

The death of John Comyn was a massive mistake by Bruce. It seems rage got the better of prudence. It is proposed that the Bruce reacted angrily to reports that the Comyn had broken a power-sharing agreement (made to unite against Edward) by informing on Bruce to the English. Real evidence is scant and what there is amounts to here say.
    Last edited by The Bruce; October 22, 2010 at 06:14 PM.

Yes, but the myth said that Robert had achieved Comyn, with his axe on the church altar...Romantic vision, good for the cinema, from my ppoint of view...

It was a good movie I'll give you that, although it may or may not have been historically accurate. I think it was just meant to symbolize what the Scots went through to gain their freedom.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Default Making Generals live longer

As the title says i would like to see generals live longer, not you understand in terms of lifespan but more by somehow not letting the Ai get them killed so often. I like the idea of having a nemesis in a war but Med 2 always gets the enemy general killed.

The only time i had a nemesis was Edward Percy and that was because i let him go and endeavoured to not let my archers shoot him.

In short is there any way to get the ai to stop, for example, charging with the general into stakes/spearmen or other certain death? Could the HP of generals be increased?
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast