Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: -- Secrets of TATW (that are no Secrets) -- Collection of Eastereggs, special options and hints

Default Re: -- Secrets of TATW (that are no Secrets) -- Collection of Eastereggs, special options and hints

HA, I dunno, this is close to a cheat or an exploit, but I really laughed my pants off by the mere image of such a chase!! Rep! - You needed some wits to find out! I dunno how does one find out such a thing?? Really funny! Thx.

Default Re: -- Secrets of TATW (that are no Secrets) -- Collection of Eastereggs, special options and hints

One hint when playin Oomm, if you are defending your settlement against (mostly) dwarves, keep one or two units of wargs in stack. When the siege is on, rush out with the wargs and flank the enemy general and just charge, retreat and charge until he is dead. Very effective!

umm.. how do u plus rep?
    and what happened to the men behind those ladders?

And how do I use mines?
    Last edited by jản; April 29, 2010 at 02:09 AM.

jản's Avatar █ kept in suspense █

//

Quote Originally Posted by plankton89 View Post
    umm.. how do u plus rep?
    you only can give +rep when you have more than 50 posts.

and what happened to the men behind those ladders?
    the men behind the ladders? well they are still there. only if you kill them - than they are gone.

And how do I use mines?
    Mines can not be used - as soon as you have build them they give extra income resulting more money and a higher population growth.
    (go here and take a look at line 63+)

//

no I mean the mines from Isengard. The hidden unit..

And I meant the men behind first ladder at the right

Click to view content: 
    Last edited by jản; April 29, 2010 at 03:47 AM.

jản's Avatar █ kept in suspense █

//

(A) i still don't know what you are meaning with the ladder.

(B) and for the Isengard mine go here or here.

Click to view content: 
    //

What happened the line of dead men behind the first ladder at the right?

Thanks for the links

ah, the bad thing with the ladder trick is that they fall on your men and kill some(few) of them

ahh tnx

Quote Originally Posted by Disastras View Post
    Nice thread! If you want ladders off your wall, select an infantry unit. Move your cursor over the ladders and it will give the attack cursor that looks like a sword. You have to click at the base of the ladder; as close to the ground as your cursor will get before changing from the sword icon the something else. This is the only consistent way I know to get ladders knocked down. So.
    To have an infantry unit pull the ladders off the wall you:
    1. Select infantry
    2. Move the attack sword icon to the very bottom of the ladder just before it changes back to the regular icon.
    3. Click at the base of the ladder and your soldiers will take it down.
    This is the only way I have had my soldiers consistently tear the ladders down. Just clicking on the ladder anywhere is hit or miss.
    But are you tearing down a ladder leaned by the enemy against the wall of a city of yours?
    And if so, have you to send a unit outside the walls?

My Tip- move your capital to a border town just before you complete a mission that gives units as a reward, move back afterwards. That way the new units will be on the front line and not miles away from the action sitting pretty in their brand new parade uniforms and chasing girls in the capital- lazy buggers, get out and fight!

Hero of the West's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by brownypoints View Post
    My Tip- move your capital to a border town just before you complete a mission that gives units as a reward, move back afterwards. That way the new units will be on the front line and not miles away from the action sitting pretty in their brand new parade uniforms and chasing girls in the capital- lazy buggers, get out and fight!
    simple yet nice, didn't thought of it +rep

Thanks Patrician1, my first rep(not sure what that means but it sounds like a good thing).

A trick I used in my (only) gondor campaign , the Dark Lord called a crusade on east Ostragoth, rather than have harad, isengard and various eastern rabble hordes walking across my lands east of the river to get there and enjoying all those free upkeep armies I immediately raised taxes (in that city) to very high, pulled out all my troops (but guarded the approaches to the city so Mordor couldnt quickly hop in) and let the peasants stage a rebellion, crusade was immediately called off (wouldnt it be lovely if the campaign Ai was hurt financially by that? I mean If we rasied up 2 or 3 stacks of good troops and started marching towards the destination and then the crusade was called off and we actually had to pay the buggers we would be) retook the city with minimal casualties, bobs your uncle

Quote Originally Posted by brownypoints View Post
    Thanks Patrician1, my first rep(not sure what that means but it sounds like a good thing).

A trick I used in my (only) gondor campaign , the Dark Lord called a crusade on east Ostragoth, rather than have harad, isengard and various eastern rabble hordes walking across my lands east of the river to get there and enjoying all those free upkeep armies I immediately raised taxes (in that city) to very high, pulled out all my troops (but guarded the approaches to the city so Mordor couldnt quickly hop in) and let the peasants stage a rebellion, crusade was immediately called off (wouldnt it be lovely if the campaign Ai was hurt financially by that? I mean If we rasied up 2 or 3 stacks of good troops and started marching towards the destination and then the crusade was called off and we actually had to pay the buggers we would be) retook the city with minimal casualties, bobs your uncle
    I like that, i like that alot. In my Gondor campaign i had a crusade against east osgiliath for about 20 turns, took all of my effort to hold them off, they never got it but it ruined my economy, eventaully they just gave up or something, there might be a time limit to crusades?
    But thanks for this significantly easier solution.

UNDER SIEGE - I like to put a sharpened stakes archer unit very close to the castle/town gate, the battle map wont let you put the stakes out right on the gate but you can find a place to put it so that the stakes appear just behind the gate. The moment the battle starts move the archers up to a clear space on the walls so they are not wasted down at ground level, those sharpened stakes will slaughter cavalry units once the enemies battering ram has broken your gate, the enemy will pour his cavalry through the gates and straight onto the stakes. This tactic works really well when you face enemies who rely on loads of cheap cavalry units - OOTMS(wargs galore) or Harad (an abundance of Soutron lancers)

newt's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Njordr View Post
    But are you tearing down a ladder leaned by the enemy against the wall of a city of yours?
    And if so, have you to send a unit outside the walls?
    Yes, this is for enemy ladders.

I was playing a custom battle to test my FPS, and got bored so I tried this. You have to go outside your walls, then attack the ladder. After that, it will fall on you and kill your men. I don't recommend this. If you get to the point that you can send men out to tear down ladders, the battle should be over anyway.

This unit was 59 men before I tore these down.

Jelven's Avatar Foederatus

This is a very useful thread, thanks everybody

If you dont want to fight Balrog in Moria then attack the settlement with a full stack army (it is very important, otherwise they will fight you in open battle) and just wait for them to bleed out. After ninth turn there should be (happened in my case) 3 Balrogs and the whole army in the Mine should be reduced to sth like 1/3. When you click next turn they will not even fight you, the mines of Moria are yours, just like that

There's a hidden wardog unit for OOTMM:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

But their noses are way too long and pointy

Various tips and ideas......

Trading and selling settlements, can be used to various aims (some quite despicable) :-

- sell settlements that are far away to nearby allies (or trade them for one of your allies' settlements close to you). Make sure the settlement you sell will no way have any culture of the people you are selling it to. After a number of turns there is a good chance the settlement will go rebel (especially forts). Get it and sell it again. And again....
    - you can sometimes trade settlements in the middle of nowhere for one of your allies' money making settlements nearby, as long as the diplomat screen says 'balanced' there is a good chance they will accept (see below for dwarf tips)

Couple of dwarf ideas related to abusing your allies :-

- if you don't like the split home areas at the start you can trade your 2 far west settlements for Dorwinion which Dale will take in the first few turns (you can always buy them back later when you need to finish the campaign). Thus you get a potential rich settlement with low corruption near you. Your western army can rove and take rebel settlements and sell or trade these with Silvans and Dale to get settlements near Erebor (You can take this as far as you want as you progress, you can end up with all of the settlements Dale, Esgaroth and Riverrun - not saying it's necessarily a great idea as it may weaken Dale too much but it's an option). Also your rep with these trading partners will usually go up even tho you are really ripping them off.
    - Dale towns which you get by trading (or conquest) will allow you to retrain the merc cavalry if you can buy those mercs in that area. I think this applies in any area for mercs (Ents, beornings etc).

Crazy terrain and reinforcements :-

- best explained by example.....sometimes you are facing a small enemy force with a huge enemy force coming as reinforcements. If you can smash and rout the small force before the large force gets on the map you win. This is usually possible when the reinforcements have to traverse crazy hilly terrain to get on the map.
    Last edited by menawati; October 25, 2010 at 05:38 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast