Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Garbarsardar's cookbook

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Garbarsardar's cookbook

Apple Pie (as requested by Kscott)
    2 gallons of Apple Cider (not the alcoholic kind for you Euro types)
    1 gallon of Apple Juice
    1-2 cups of sugar (depends on how sweet you want it)
    5-7 sticks of cinnamon
    1 bottle of Everclear (750 mL or as I call it a fifth)

The Everclear: I prefer the 195 proof version but the 151 version will also work. If you don't live in a land graced with Everclear (or other moonshine) any 151 proof liquor will work.

Mix the cider, juice and sugar into a pot and bring it to a boil. Add the cinnamon sticks and let the mixture cool down to at least room temperature. Then stir in the Everclear. This drink is very tasty and doesn't even taste of the sweet death that is a 195 proof liquor. This will get you drunk and is the perfect outdoor drink if you are having a barbeque or a campfire.

Enjoy.

King Henry V's Avatar Behold your King

Where's the apples and pastry?
    Vassal of the most puissant Sheriff, imb39
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Quatscht Studium, Verbindung ist die Hauptsache!" Heinrich Mann, Der Untertan
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnęte Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by King Henry V
    Where's the apples and pastry?
    /me checks Henry's age...
    You're not supposed to know...
    *FLASH*
    Last edited by Sidus Preclarum; March 30, 2006 at 08:32 AM.

It is a drink that tastes like apple pie but with the added benefit of a 95% alcoholic beverage spiking it. :wicked

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

I think Garb. has the appropriate recipe for this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    One thing that some long standing members will also admit, that this site would get boring if would only talk about the total war games. Some others would also say, that our little soap-opera dramas are what keep them coming back for more. This is not the run off the mill forum site you see on other sites, this is TWC and it's like crack. Once you get comfortable here and gets some friends, you will stay around like the rest. Trust me on this!
    About the forum dramas, just think about it in a good light, sit back, put your feet up, munch on a bag popcorn and enjoy the show! You will see some truly entertaining stuff to happen, I guarantee it!
    BAKED CARAMEL CORN

1/2 Cup(s) butter or margarine
    1/2 Cup(s) brown sugar, packed
    3 Qt. unsalted popped corn
    I Cup(s) whole pecans or mixed nuts

Cream together butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
    Combine popcorn and pecans in a shallow baking pan.
    Add the butter mixture by spoonfuls and mix into the popcorn mixture.
    Bake at 350° stirring two or three times, until crisp, about 8 minutes.

3 Quarts

PEANUT POPCORN

5 -6 Cup(s) hot freshly popped corn
    2 Tsp(s) salt
    2 Cup(s) toasted peanuts
    1/4 Cup(s) butter or margarine
    1 Tblsp(s). peanut butter

Toss popcorn with salt and peanuts.
    Melt butter over moderate heat and stir in peanut butter.
    Add to popcorn and toss well.

2 quarts

CHEESE POPCORN

5 to 6 Cup(s) hot freshly popped corn
    2 Tsp(s) salt
    1/4 Cup(s) butter or margarine
    1/3 Cup(s) grated Romano or Parmesan Cheese

Toss hot popcorn with salt.
    Melt butter over moderate heat and mix in cheese.
    Immediately pour over popcorn and toss well.

1 1/2 quarts

Seasoned Pop Corn

Blue Cheese Pop Corn:
    Melt 1 Cup(s) butter or margarine. Stir in 1 package blue cheese salad dressing mix.
    Toss with 6 quarts freshly popped Jolly Time Pop Corn.

Parmesan Pop Corn:
    Melt 1/4 Cup(s) butter. Pour over 2 quarts popped Jolly Time Pop Corn. Add 1/2 Cup(s)
    grated Parmesan cheese and 1 - 2 Tsp(s) salt. Mix well.

Herb Seasoned Pop Corn:
    Melt 3 Tblsp(s). butter or margarine. Stir in l./2 Tsp(s) salt. Combine 1 Tsp(s) thyme,
    1/2 Tsp(s) basil, I/2 Tsp(s) oregano and l/2 Tsp(s) rosemary. Add to butter. Pour over 2
    quarts freshly popped Jolly Time Pop Corn. Toss well.

Curry Seasoned Pop Corn:
    Melt 3 Tblsp(s). butter or margarine. Stir in 1'2 Tsp(s) salt, 1 Tsp(s) curry powder, 1/4
    Tsp(s) ground cinnamon, and 1/4 Tsp(s) ground ginger. Toss with 2 quarts popped Jolly
    Time Pop Corn.

Flavored Pop Corn:
    Sprinkle one or more of the following over hot buttered Pop Corn: Garlic salt, Celery
    salt, Seasoned salt, Chili powder, Grated American cheese, Hickory flavored Dry soup
    mix, Dill weed, Butter flavored, salt, Bacon-flavored bits

If it wasn't for the fact I hate popcorn I would most definitaly make that.

Perfect for watching the Curial Drama Queens.

I might add a recipie soon...
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnęte Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenfingers
    It is a drink that tastes like apple pie but with the added benefit of a 95% alcoholic beverage spiking it. :wicked
    yeah. sounds cool. What are the effects on the drink if you don't have the american non-alcoholic cider, but the european alcoholic one ?

Well we don't have the alcoholic version in large quantities over here. But from what I have sampled the non-alcoholic it is a tad sweeter than the alcoholic variety. IT should work though.

Indian Tea (Tchai)

1/2 pot full of water
    3 to 4 spoons of tea powder (preferably Typhoo)
    3 to 4 spoons of sugar
    IF YOU WANT: Add some masala powder

Boil the water until bubbling
    Add the tea powder (and masala if you wanted it, I dont think you would though)
    Add the sugar
    Stir and wait for it to cool down

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Nice recipes Garb I am not a big popcorn fan....

Do you know how to make any good Thai soups?
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

In Taiwan we have lots of Thai immigrant workers. Actually the first big scandal involving slave labour erupted because of the living conditions of those workers during the construction of the new bullet train line.
    And with workers come restaurants...

Lemongrass soup

Ingredients:

8 C. chicken stock
    1/2 - 1 bunch cilantro (coriander)
    Fresh or canned straw mushrooms
    16 large shrimps, peeled,
    1 C. snow peas
    1/3 C. shredded carrots (just for color)
    juice of 1 lime
    1/2 - 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
    1 chili pepper, cut into rings
    4 Tbsp. nam plah (you can find at Oriental food stores)
    a few stalks of lemongrass (I would use about 6)

Bring the broth to a simmer. Add crushed red pepper and shrimp. Simmer for 5 min. Add lemongrass and simmer for another 5 min. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer a few minutes more. Be careful not to overcook or the vegetables will lose their color and will get limp.

Coconut soup

Ingredients:

One 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
    1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons green curry paste
    Four 2-inch strips of lime zest
    2quarter-size pieces of fresh ginger, lightly crushed
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    3 cups chicken stock
    2 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4 -inch pieces
    3 tablespoons fish sauce (look again in oriental stores)
    1/4 cup coriander leaves, coarsely chopped
    6 basil leaves, coarsely chopped
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

In a large saucepan, combine the coconut milk, curry paste, lime zest, ginger and sugar and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the chicken stock, cover and simmer over moderately low heat for 8 minutes. Raise the heat to moderate and bring the soup to a boil. Add the chicken, fish sauce, 3 tablespoons of the cilantro and the basil. Stir and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Discard the ginger and lime zest. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of cilantro and stir in the lime juice. Serve hot.

Fantastic! (I admit I actually have this thread separatelly bookmarked in my favourites)

Any Taiwanese soups Garby?

I will post my Famous Onion and Black Bean soup recipes here when I get back to Brusselsland.

All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix
    Fantastic! (I admit I actually have this thread separatelly bookmarked in my favourites)

Any Taiwanese soups Garby?

I will post my Famous Onion and Black Bean soup recipes here when I get back to Brusselsland.

I will have to appeal to my mother in law for authenticity. I would appreciate some incentives for this like tranquilizers, a virtual basket of fruits, flowers and an Opifex award... :hcry

but I'll do my best.

Picked this one up in Sweden

Swedish Gravad Lax

This is really old Swedish specialty using fresh raw salmon pickled with sugar, salt, peppercorns, and fresh dill. After preparation, it will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.

Ingredients:

3 Lbs middle cut piece of firm fresh king salmon
    6 Tbsp. salt
    4 Tbsp. brown sugar
    3 Tsp. crushed black peppercorns
    1 Large bunch fresh dill weed, chopped (dry dill may be substituted)

Mustard Sauce:

3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
    2 Tbsp. brown sugar
    1/3 Cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
    3 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
    Dash of Salt

To Serve 8:

Dry salmon with clean paper towels. Cut fish into two triangle shaped wedges, removing any bones.

Combine salt, sugar, and peppercorns, and rub half the mixture into all sides of the salmon. Sprinkle half of the chopped dill in bottom of glass or porcelain baking dish just the right size to hold the fish.

Lay the salmon pieces in the dish, thin to thick ends, sprinkle with remaining salt mixture and dill. Cover with plastic wrap and weight fish down with a plate or other object that will fit. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours, turning once or twice. You can continue to refrigerate coated with this mixture for up to three days.

Brush off excess coating, and on a fish serving board, cut on the slant into paper-thin slices. Serve with the mustard sauce and light rye pumpernickel style bread or whole grain crackers.

Impress your guests with this elegant appetizer.

Often served with chilled vodka shots or a very dry white wine!

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    I will have to appeal to my mother in law for authenticity. I would appreciate some incentives for this like tranquilizers, a virtual basket of fruits, flowers and an Opifex award... :hcry

but I'll do my best.
    Your mother in law can be Opifex no problem As for you we will se about zat

Taiwanese cooking is unique from what I have heard....

Krapfen, for Boudicca

Das buch von guter spise (the book of good food), also known as ein buch von guter spise, is the earliest known German language cookbook. It is dated from between 1345 to 1354. The household manual, which included guter spise, was organized by Michael de Leone, who was the proto-notary (chief clerk) of the Archbishop of Würzburg. The surviving portion of the manuscript is in the library of Munich University.

There are many other surviving pre-seventeenth century German cookbooks. Von Speisen, natürlichen und kreuter Wein, aller verstand was printed in 1531 in Frankfurt am Main; Kuchenmeysterey, originally printed around 1486, can be found as a photoreproduction. The original of Das Kochbuch der Sabrina Welserin was a handwritten manuscript from 1553; a more recent version includes a facing page transcription and translation into modern German. One of the most beautiful cookbooks I have seen is a reprint of Ein new kochbuch by Marx Rumpolt; the original, now at Cornell, was printed in 1581 in Frankfurt am Main. The reprint was issued in 1980 and is scheduled for republication. The above list is far from complete; there are several other unpublished manuscripts.

Large sections of guter spise can be found in two later manuscripts. The first is called the "Mondseer Kochbuch", since it is from the Mondsee monastary; it is bound with a Latin and German winebook, Eberhards von Bethune's Graecismus, a Latin good health regimen, and a Latin schema mnemotechnica. The other is known as the "Weiner Kochbuch". Although the two manuscripts share recipes not found in guter spise, only the guter spise portion can be found as a black-and-white photocopy in Daz buoch von guoter spise, edited by Gerold Hayer and published in 1976.

From this manuscript I managed with my poor German to salvage this recipe:

Krapfen

makes 24 Krapfen
    3-4 cups unsifted flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/4 cups warm water at the temperature of a boiled witch (105 to 115 deg F)
    1 package active dry yeast
    2 egg yolks,beaten
    1/4 cup butter
    grated rind of 1 lemon
    1/4 cup plum or apricot jam

Mix 2 cups flour with sugar and salt. Make a well in the center and add 1/4 cup warm water and the yeast. Allow to rise 20 minutes. Add egg yolks, remaining water, and butter. Beat until well-blended. Add lemon rind and remaining flour until a soft dough is formed. Knead for 5-10 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch dough down. On lightly floured board roll dough 1/4 inch thick. cut dough into 2 inch rounds.

On half of the rounds place about 1 teaspoons of jam or jelly. Moisten edges with water. Place a second round on top. Press firmly to seal edges. Let rise 15 minutes. Fry in deep fat heated to the temperature of a wooden witch (375 degF.approx) for 4 minutes on each side or until browned.

Cut into first doughnut to be sure it is done in the center. Drain on maidens underware (absorbent paper will do) and sprinkle with lots of sugar as the doughnuts are not sweet.
    Last edited by Garbarsardar; May 01, 2006 at 11:18 AM.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Yummy Garb!

I love Berliners.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Now that sounds reputation-worthy, with all the information and so on...

Not only reputation worthy. These krapfens are very very tasty I assure you. I will try this famous original recipe as soon as possible and then post my experiences with it. Thanks very much Garbasadar!!!!
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Soutzoukakia for Asterix

Now, people will go into a nationalist fit in at least two countries I have in mind regarding this dishe's origin, so let's just say that this recipe is based on my recollection of my Granny's cooking. My granma was an interesting figure. She was born in Costantinople (Istanbul) in 1898, survived two Balkan wars, The disasters of '22 two World Wars, a civil war, atwo dictatorships, and died peacefully watching a documentary about Kangaroos.

During the WW2 she was hiding in her house a Spanish Jew, a Bulgarian communist and a German deserter, not at the same time though...I think this Jewish type had some input on her cooking style because she switched the name of boiled rice from pilaf to paela in the family culinary vocabulary...

So here it is :

500g minced meat (lamb or beef)
    130g bread, soaked in white cooking wine

2 cloves of garlic, grated or crushed
    1 heaped tsp of ground cumin
    1 small onion, grated
    half tsp salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    1 medium egg
    1 dessert spoon olive oil
    Oregano
    Fresh ripe tomatoes

Squeeze the bread dry, place in a bowl with all the other ingredients and mix together with your hands. Leave the mixture for half an hour in the fridge then shape into cigar shapes (a good thumb size). Put into a shallow oven dish and add equal amounts of parboiled potatoes, cut into similar sizes.

Now take 1 tsp of cumin seeds, half tsp salt, 1 clove of garlic, a small onion, a glass of white wine, half a glass of olive oil and a 400g tin of tomatoes, put all into a liquidiser and liquidise. Taste for salt then half fill the tin with water and add. Liquidise again then pour all over the meatballs and potatoes. Cook at Gas Mark 6, 180C for about an hour, checking after 30 minutes.

The final touch:

10' before cooking is finished empty a large quantity (around 500g) of thick youghourt on top and use the grill to form a crust.

Serve with (non-basmati) rice or fresh bread.

White wine or Ouzo.
    Last edited by Garbarsardar; May 03, 2006 at 10:24 AM.