JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Default EMPIRE TOTAL FLAGS V2.9 IDEAS THREAD

Version 2.9
    DISCUSSION THREAD
    EVERY FLAG OF ETW
    (ETF2.7 + ETW VANILLA FLAGS)

PROPOSED NEW FLAGS for ETF 2.9

(Current Download: ETF)

Last edited by JFC; March 07, 2010 at 11:28 AM.

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Default Re: EMPIRE TOTAL FLAGS V2.7 IDEAS THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by No0dle
    Hey JFC,

I have a suggestion:
    Can you replace all flags (even the vanilla ones which are historically correct) with your flags?
    It may be that some vanilla flags are historically correct (e.g. GB), but it looks a little bit strange that are some flags with this "wavy" animation and your "immobile" flags. To be honost your flags look much better and realistic, so it would be nice if all flags have the effect you use for your flags.
    I hope you can understand what I mean.

Best regards,

No0dle
    I think that this suggestion is a valid one...

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by JFC View Post
    I think that this suggestion is a valid one...
    I agree. Also just to avoid further annoyances, are you still considering the flag for the Prussian Republic or will you stick with the current one?

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Shāhānshāh View Post
    I agree. Also just to avoid further annoyances, are you still considering the flag for the Prussian Republic or will you stick with the current one?

Well after the debate where I used the imperial german flag, which was poo pooed, and the fact that the Schwarz Rot Geld flag is the vanilla, I was going to stick with the current one. However, if there is more of a want/need for the vanilla flag, i will endeavour to include it.

The Wavy Turn Flags have now been changed.

Senator

The Wavy Turn Flags have now been changed.
    Thank you very much! Great work

I would vote for the "Schwarz Rot Gold" flag as republic flag, too.
    The reason is simple: the black-white-red one represents the monarchie and the current one doesn't exist ... so the black-red-gold flag is the only existing one which represents a republic.

Edit:
    And there it is ... V2.7 with black-red-gold german republic flag ... you are really fast ...
    Great support, thanks JFC!
    Last edited by No0dle; January 17, 2010 at 12:31 PM.

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Default Re: EMPIRE TOTAL FLAGS V2.8 IDEAS THREAD

2.7 now out.

Sun Devil's Avatar Campidoctor

Are you ever going to include the current tricolor for any of the italian factions?

Formerly Vuvuzela

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Suggested state republican flag of Sicily/Naples (Neapolitan/Parthenopean Republic flag 1799):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Suggested Papal States/Italian states republican state flag (Roman Republic flag (1798-9):
    I don't really understand why you want to use the present-day Union Flag for a British Republic, given that Britain is a monarchy. Furthermore, the red-saltire representing Ireland never appeared in a British/English flag until the 1800 Act of Union incorporating Ireland into the British state and abolishing the Irish Parliament. Therefore, I propose the Cromwellian Commonwealth flag below (1653-58) as an alternative for a British republican state flag:
    For the British Republican Naval Flag, I propose this flag sourced from "Flags at Sea" (1986):
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; January 18, 2010 at 08:18 AM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Sun Devil's Avatar Campidoctor

I would use that for Savoy.

Formerly Vuvuzela

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    I don't really understand why you want to use the present-day Union Flag for a British Republic, given that Britain is a monarchy. Furthermore, the red-saltire representing Ireland never appeared in a British/English flag until the 1800 Act of Union incorporating Ireland into the British state and abolishing the Irish Parliament. Therefore, I propose the Cromwellian Commonwealth flag below (1653-58) as an alternative for a British republican state flag:
    For the British Republican Naval Flag, I propose this flag sourced from "Flags at Sea" (1986):
    This has been discussed. Please read the appropriate post as I clearly have explained my reasons for using the Union Flag. It will not be changed.

ACMilan88's Avatar Semisalis

Hello. I think the westphalian flag need a serious remake. The flag where created in 19th century witch explains it. I noticed that some guys from the RON-team had created a mod with german flags and reskin and his westphlian flag is much more suitable. Would be great to see it in a future update.

Historically Accurate German faction flags and uniforms:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=249420

I've discovered that the US republic flag isnt very clear, i'll post a proposal here based on your new naval flag (wich is very good for my opinion).

Last edited by Finrod; January 22, 2010 at 08:55 AM.

Might I ask why there are flags for factions that don't exist, like Khiva and Mecklenburg?
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

any chanches to have theese flag "waves" like the vanilla ones?
    My Mods:
    Earth 35 Civilizations Mod v2.5 Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond The Sword 3.19
    Modular United Mods v1.3 Sid Meier's Colonization 1.01
    Two Sicilies Mod v1.0 Europa Universalis III DW5.2 - Death&Taxes Mod 9.1

My AAR:
    King Etgar the Conqueror AAR Medieval II Total War Stainless Steel 6.4

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Croccer View Post
    Might I ask why there are flags for factions that don't exist, like Khiva and Mecklenburg?
    Emergent factions. Khiva is actually present in my current game.

Quote Originally Posted by liambane
    any chanches to have theese flag "waves" like the vanilla ones?
    No chance.

This has been discussed. Please read the appropriate post as I clearly have explained my reasons for using the Union Flag. It will not be changed.
    If you want to change the flag back to the commonwealth, that is entirely up to you, however, I won't be on this mod, as I just hate it. There were never two scotlands and englands for a start, but I appreciate the feedback.

The flag currently used is the 'Union Flag' which is far more fitting for a republic, I feel, as it represents Great Britian as a whole.
    It's your mod, so I understand you won't change it if you hate the flag.

But the whole 'there aren't 'two Englands and two Scotlands' argument is a bit stupid, since the Commonwealth Flag is used in history and back then there weren't two Englands and two Scotlands either.

I personally don't see how a Union Flag is more fitting for a republic, but again it's your choice.

And as you said I did try to edit the flag myself, but it caused the black flag bug. At least I think it was my edit that caused it, it could be your mod in general. I mean the bug where flags that aren't square, like the Ottoman Flag, have the 'transparent' parts of the flag in black in stead of it actually being transparent. Other flag mods don't have this problem so it must be a bug right? I just downloaded version 1.7 of your mod so I don't know if it's been fixed.

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Los San Patricios View Post
    It's your mod, so I understand you won't change it if you hate the flag.

But the whole 'there aren't 'two Englands and two Scotlands' argument is a bit stupid, since the Commonwealth Flag is used in history and back then there weren't two Englands and two Scotlands either.

I personally don't see how a Union Flag is more fitting for a republic, but again it's your choice.

And as you said I did try to edit the flag myself, but it caused the black flag bug. At least I think it was my edit that caused it, it could be your mod in general. I mean the bug where flags that aren't square, like the Ottoman Flag, have the 'transparent' parts of the flag in black in stead of it actually being transparent. Other flag mods don't have this problem so it must be a bug right? I just downloaded version 1.7 of your mod so I don't know if it's been fixed.
    Few problems with this.
    1: This was never an argument. It was a statement of fact. I don't like the Commonwealth flag and stated my reasons; so even though you feel it's 'a bit stupid', which frankly, I won't lose sleep over as you are right; it's my choice.
    2: I don't want to get into the semantics over why Union Flag is less fitting for a republic... again, suffice to say a united country, for the people, deserved a 'united' flag, therefore imo it fits perfectly.
    3: Bugs. Please provide me with a list of these flag mods with the non-rectangle flags that do work, so I can attempt to work around the issue. Here's why it doesn't in ETF... Again:

Spanky's old mod had it working. I don't know if it also worked with the 'damaged' version, but it worked for settlements and undamaged unit flags. The bug I had with the edited version of your mod had it even for undamaged flags, though I forgot to check if it's still bugged in 2.8.

And the bug with wind direction arrow at the compass in naval battles has nothing to do with this mod right?

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Los San Patricios View Post
    Spanky's old mod had it working. I don't know if it also worked with the 'damaged' version, but it worked for settlements and undamaged unit flags. The bug I had with the edited version of your mod had it even for undamaged flags, though I forgot to check if it's still bugged in 2.8.

And the bug with wind direction arrow at the compass in naval battles has nothing to do with this mod right?
    Arrow issue is not due to this mod.

The Spanky version has an identical file structure to ETF as it only replaces the flag textures. The issue of the damaged flags not looking right is the same in that mod. This mod actually started by using Spanky's mod and those very same flags.

I suggest you to remake all the flag that you leave from vanilla, also if you remake the same flag:

Having some flag waves and others not waving is a bit strange...

Making ALL THE FLAGS non waving should be better since it's impossible to let the new ones waves.

This choice will let this mod be more "complete" and will hide the vanilla track left by flags unchanged.
    Last edited by liambane; January 31, 2010 at 02:08 PM.
    My Mods:
    Earth 35 Civilizations Mod v2.5 Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond The Sword 3.19
    Modular United Mods v1.3 Sid Meier's Colonization 1.01
    Two Sicilies Mod v1.0 Europa Universalis III DW5.2 - Death&Taxes Mod 9.1

My AAR:
    King Etgar the Conqueror AAR Medieval II Total War Stainless Steel 6.4

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast