View Poll Results: What is your impressions of FRoME submod?

Voters
741. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stunning Work ! I love it!

324 43.72%
  • Very good !

254 34.28%
  • Ok its just another submod!...l suppose....

73 9.85%
  • Definitely Not well made!

17 2.29%
  • Booooo-ring!

12 1.62%
  • I will continue to ignore FRoME as i did before release.

61 8.23%
Page 4 of 154 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast

Thread: "Forgotten Realms Of Middle-Earth(FRoME) NOT FOR 3. ///FARE WELL LADS!MOVED TO NEW FORUM

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

Default Re: Announcing "Forgotten Realms Of Middle-Earth (FROME)" submod.

ELVEN UPDATE!

Wildrek's Avatar Senator

The elf models are EPIC!
    Thank you!

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

TBH i am really proud of Galadhrim Marchwardens & Mirkwood nobles.... they are one of my favourites along with tribal axemen
    and my 1st design Guardians of belegost!
    Last edited by koultouras; January 11, 2010 at 07:57 AM.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Man, this is awesome!
    Bravo, koultou kai Beorn!

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

the WIP (and not perfectly mapped)mirkwood nobles that
    were dropped (not all of them we decided to have their variances cut down to 3rd and 5th).... THIS IS just to give u guys something extra since
    everybodys reception is extremely warm ..... THANKS community
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by koultouras; January 11, 2010 at 08:02 AM.

Really nice work, it’s good that the Elves rooster will get expanded. Though I have two objections, are skirmish or battle axe units really suitable for Elves? Skirmishing is dirty and cowardly kind of warfare. Not suitable for noble Elves. Battle axes are crude and brute weapons. Since the Elves are no lumber jacks or worker, they might have no experience in using axes, or halberds.
    Their usual weapons are bows, swords, daggers and spears. Maybe the battle axe unit could be changed into two hand swords….
    Also, the lancer unit, would maybe better with a helmet, maybe a winged helmet. Or, wings on the back, like the famous polish winged hussars.

The Axe was one of the first weapon the elves used.

And skirmishing is as "dirty" and "cowardly" as ambushing or using a bow... And besides, in order to slay orcs everything is allowed.
    Last edited by Lordinquisitor; January 11, 2010 at 08:39 AM.

Plumo's Avatar Decanus

I'm still trying to get used to the archers with a massive axe or polearm

Perhaps give them a 'lighter' weapon so that they can still be swift and agile.

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

Elven mounted units should be nerfed , either in terms of armour or in terms of stats
    we decided to do both in order to keep ballance .... these units will not be "shock troops" of course
    but will mainly be used for rooting enemies

it was strange not to grant the Silvan elves at least a unit for that purpose (who said that elves cant ride anyway?)
    what i am saying is that you shouldnt make comparisons
    with H.elven lancers cause that is definitely not the case....
    they will be just a simple mounted unit

as for glaives and axes ....according to my information those weapons are lore-wise

i know some will find them too much .... but since they used them why not have them

not to mention that i realy tried my best to make those weapons as more elegant as i could (i just wish i had an elven axe picture of Aesir earlier)
    Last edited by koultouras; January 11, 2010 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumo View Post
    I'm still trying to get used to the archers with a massive axe or polearm

Perhaps give them a 'lighter' weapon so that they can still be swift and agile.
    Maybe slender would be the right word.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
    Really nice work, it’s good that the Elves rooster will get expanded. Though I have two objections, are skirmish or battle axe units really suitable for Elves? Skirmishing is dirty and cowardly kind of warfare. Not suitable for noble Elves. Battle axes are crude and brute weapons. Since the Elves are no lumber jacks or worker, they might have no experience in using axes, or halberds.
    Their usual weapons are bows, swords, daggers and spears. Maybe the battle axe unit could be changed into two hand swords….
    Also, the lancer unit, would maybe better with a helmet, maybe a winged helmet. Or, wings on the back, like the famous polish winged hussars.
    Like said below the elves (silvan to be exact) were no strangers to axes especially in the 1st and 2nd age.
    As for the Halberd, I believe they were trying to make a more glaive like weapon which in truth has a more curvy blade suited to the elven smithing style but yah the halberd looks a little funny, I still love the unit though.

On another note Ive noticed that march warden unit displayed on another thread before regarding the silvan roster and debate on a polearm AP unit...good to know it was put to use (I assume the unit displayed and this one were one and the same)
    "Only a Bohemian can overcome a Bohemian"- Sigismund

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

yes it is

@Lordinquisitor, using a bow was in no culture seen as something low, cowardly or dirty. It took years until one can master a bow with good results. In Korea the people use to meditate while shoting with bow. Using of crossbow however was less reputable, because even a farmer can learn the use of a crossbow in a short time.
    Skirmisher are a hit and run unit. Hit might be Ok, but imagine Elves runing from an enemy, would not suit their nature. Maybe they might have human auxilia who could be used as Skirmisher.
    For axe I am not sure, since I never read the books, but even than I would rather expect that Silvan Elves do not need axes since they do not fell trees. So, I would rather imagine that axe units might be human auxilia as well.
    Last edited by Jackie Treehorn; January 11, 2010 at 09:07 AM.

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

please explain .....
    arent TATW elven archers behaving like skirmishers(hit and run :keeping distances) anyway..... what makes the difference between a bowman skirmisher and a javelinman skirmisher?
    the weapon ?,...but they still share the same battle style.....
    Last edited by koultouras; January 11, 2010 at 09:16 AM.

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Wow, great job with the Elves guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
    @Lordinquisitor, using a bow was in no culture seen as something low, cowardly or dirty.
    Actually that's how it was seen in Spartan culture.

Well, in general you are right. Bowmen and Javelinmen have the same style of fighting, only difference is range and maybe skill. On the other hand side bowmen run not in front of the enemy, like skirmisher. Bowmen usually stay in a second row and do only run when the first row (spearmen, infanterie) is killed or not existing. Skirmish style is different to that. They are at first whose run. In all Armies Skirmish units were the most cheap and low units.
    On the other hand side slinger might be Ok, for the Elvee youth.

Regarding the reputation of a weapon, maybe I am too fixed on the medieval times. In that times some weapons were unworthy for a noble man. For example a sword was a weapon with a high reputation, while a forge were not suitable for a knight.

Jarlaxe's Avatar Heavy Building Industry

amazing elves koultouras/beorn ,great work!keep up
    koultoura i think that sandwich from goodies yesterday gave you a lot of inspiration
    - Leader / Modeller/ Skinner / City Builder of Hegemonia City States -
    - Modeller/ Skinner / City Builder of Fourth Age -

- Under the patronage of the cream pie lover -
    - jimkatalanos -

Dear Jackie Treehorn.

The whole point of using a bow is to stay away from the enemy/ to hurt him before he can hurt you. Skirmishing and ambushing is the next logical step to increase the already formidable advantage.

And nifty as i`m i said "using a bow is as cowardly as skirmishing" So whether you call it cowardly or not; If you do one of those it`s hard to call the other cowardly.

And even if someone doesn`t fell trees he might still use an axe for an axe offers certain advantages/disadvantages on the battlefield.

Plumo's Avatar Decanus

Archery was seen as lower than melee combat in some cultures, but I don't know for middle earth.

Spartans ( and Ancient Greeks / Hellenes ) said archery was cowardly.

In the middle ages nobility/ knights (especially in France) weren't keen on using archers either. The glory of a battle should only go to the knights , not to peasants

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

i would really like though hearing peoples minds .... dont hesitate to say your suggestions guys (that goes for disapprovals as well )
    allthough atm units could be called final there is another word in modding dictionary that is called future patches

(as long as my researcher colleague decides that some of the suggestion would be proper addtions ....it is his inspiration afterall)
    Last edited by koultouras; January 12, 2010 at 06:29 AM.