Page 9 of 168 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: IWTE - World edditing

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne
    Hi wilddog, I hope you don't get frustrated at the questions, it only means good things in the people starting to get very appreciative and curious about your project. It was all a really well-done job, you and johnwhile in your respective areas, so please let's not fight when both of you are doing something so invaluable.
    I wasn't fighting. If you had read the posts correctly you would of seen I was simply saying I wanted to get some bits done prior to vacation and needed the time to do it. Now I'm back I intend to continue with the IWTE tool and our own mod.

@johnwhile - thanks for trying to answer Feinar's questions.

@Feinar - I thought I'd answered your question before I went on vacation. to add a box to a structure simply add the milkshape box to the end of the structure and give it a number and a subnumber for group. This is explained already in the text file with the tool (though I want when I have time to start to build up a tutorial).
    The numbers you asked about aren't actually used by the tool (not sure if you still need to add something though or not.. I need to check). Its values are re-calculated within the tool.

IWTE updates the relevant files as Johnwile says so keeps them in line automatically.

Depending on what you want to do with the box depends on what else you need to do. The IWTE tool has a bunch of buttons to allow you to add collisions, add existing animations from same file or other files etc. I know it needs a tutorial but some people are working with it and once you understand the buttons its mostly fairly straight forward. eg add a collision for example is done by using the button 'Assign object Collision'. All you do is select an object via the lists, press the button, tell it what direction its facing and press Ok.. so to me not that complicated. Not all objects have collisions though so it depends on what you are trying to do.

Effects changes are now complete and update the various tables automatically whenever you change one of them. Lighting was amended to remove the pink light (completely) as I couldn't find a sensible means of presetting the right quads to allow it only in the correct places within milkshape.

This version is being tested and should hopefully be fully released around end September.

Thank you very much!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    Effects changes are now complete and update the various tables automatically whenever you change one of them. Lighting was amended to remove the pink light (completely) as I couldn't find a sensible means of presetting the right quads to allow it only in the correct places within milkshape.

This version is being tested and should hopefully be fully released around end September.
    Look danish_boats.world, it don't have Structural Effects and SixFloat, are put to 0... or you have already seen ?
    Forums:............freeforumzone - mtwitalia - twcenter
    Works:.....worldcollision file - ModelReferencePoints files - MaxScript Building Editor
    Other:.............siege-engine(video) - new-animations(video) - buildings
    Have to take the money where it is: at the poor. They have little, but they are many. Alphonse Allais

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhile
    Look danish_boats.world, it don't have Structural Effects and SixFloat, are put to 0... or you have already seen ?
    Not sure of the relevance to my comment saying

I hadn't looked at danish_boats .. not sure why anyone would use that as the basis for building a settlement/castle anyway? However it's just a simple file and the IWTE tool handles it anyway (at least the version we are testing but I suspect the older versions also handled). Several ambients also have that setup though the IWTE tool doesn't work on every .world file.

So don't really understand the connection between me saying IWTE can handle effects and the comment concerning a file with none in anyway? If you find an issue with the IWTE tool on something its suppose to handle please post the error and I will try and look into if not already addressed in the latest version.

... it's only a info to understand the real file's structure of Structural effects (the strange short 0 issue...) but i think you have already understand and test all world files...
    Works:.....worldcollision file - ModelReferencePoints files - MaxScript Building Editor
    Have to take the money where it is: at the poor. They have little, but they are many. Alphonse Allais

... it's only a info to understand the real file's structure of Structural effects (the strange short 0 issue...) but i think you have already understand and test all world files...
    Hi, we haven't tested against all the world files only certain settlement ones and some ambients. Only (known) issue we have problems with is when we have deleted arrow towers and then not added in a road marker. Adding the road marker resolves that issue.

but you think that you know almost all binary file structure or there are some little issue ? because my bigger issue is understand the real binary structure, example for Structural Effects, i make some test but there are a lot of world files that confusing me and i must re-understand, every time, the new binary structure.... (also in DamageTransitions there are a bad short 0... and so on...)
    The only tool to check these problems is the IWTE or old KE converter,

also for next version

11) changing arrow slots/ oil slots / Flagbase - allows you to change position, add, delete or copy from previous level to next level (ie for an arrow tower upgrade) - completed.

This supports amending the entries for gatehouses and arrow towers.

wilddog, when you complete your script you MUST HELP ME , because I'm going crazy with the file structure, example: i tried to add to small village a Refplective objects and the Game objects "refective plane" but now appears a new short 0... #@€!"Ł$%&/()=?^ .... and i don't understand how the short numbers work....

wilddog, when you complete your script you MUST HELP ME , because I'm going crazy with the file structure, example: i tried to add to small village a Refplective objects and the Game objects "refective plane" but now appears a new short 0... #@€!"Ł$%&/()=?^ .... and i don't understand how the short numbers work....
    Just simply look at some files. See the differences .. and try and understand. As you say the IWTE tool identifies the pads (it even names them so you can see them easily!). So look at it and you should be able to work out what you need to do with your tool .. or simply decide to use the IWTE tool anyway ( it does do far more than simply add a few structures for some simple models though its obviously orientated around milkshape).

I'm not spending too much time on things as I have a vision problem at the moment (double vision) so just trying to finish a few things.

wilddog do you think you could release the source code of the tool at some point? That would be most useful for those of us who want to study how the tool works or want to add features/documentation or want to run it under something that isn't Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    Just simply look at some files. See the differences .. and try and understand. As you say the IWTE tool identifies the pads (it even names them so you can see them easily!). So look at it and you should be able to work out what you need to do with your tool .. or simply decide to use the IWTE tool anyway ( it does do far more than simply add a few structures for some simple models though its obviously orientated around milkshape).

I'm not spending too much time on things as I have a vision problem at the moment (double vision) so just trying to finish a few things.
    I'm already looking your text conversion, but i need information on function like this:
    while i<num then
    (
    if i==1 then readShort 0
    <readFaces>
    <readVertex>
    <readQuads>
    )

(like this : http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourk...s3d/ms3dspec.h )
    Because i don't understand how work some non-regular shorts, and KE's script is too complicated for me.
    I understand all Complex section but after this, example in Structural Effect, GameSection, ecc... there are too many exception, short controller ecc... and i'm going crazy.

Ok, i can try to understand from myself... but i complete the understanding after 21/12/2012 so after the world end i can't start the building for my mod...

I'm already looking your text conversion, but i need information on function like this:
    while i<num then
    (
    if i==1 then readShort 0
    <readFaces>
    <readVertex>
    <readQuads>
    )
    (like this : http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourk...s3d/ms3dspec.h )
    Which of the text files are you looking at? The one called *world.txt created by converting the binary or the *wdworldtext.txt one which is created each time and is much smaller?

Unfortunately I haven't got the time to do that as you can see it by opening and comparing a few files with the IWTE tool (it would take just a few hours to identify them all so nothing to prevent you doing it yourself if you really want to go down that route).

Latest version still undergoing testing so is delayed (probably till later this month).

KingKong spotted issues with the deployment block routines so I had to check through those routines and correct them. Took a while as its the most complex and somewhat messy set of routines (I couldn't figure out why I had done certain calculations)

Anyway started another set of testing and I think the issues have been mostly ironed out...but we'll see.

beho's Avatar Libertus

Hi,

is it possbile to write a ms3d file without destroyed structures? I just want to extract the undestroyed structes.

André

Quote Originally Posted by beho
    Hi,

is it possbile to write a ms3d file without destroyed structures? I just want to extract the undestroyed structes.
    Hi sorry no it extracts a full structure and therefore contains the groups 1+ which are the damage ones. Not sure how straight forward or not it would be to only extract the group 0's for the objects in a structure.

Version 4.0 released.

New with version 4_0 released October 10, 2010
    I think a lot of the early bugs have been ironed out and most features have now been added. Its probably simpler to say what I know isn't included.
    1) Not included is ability to add tech trees - they're pretty simple so should be in next release.
    2) Direction points - again pretty simple so should be in next release only seem to be used in places with either no walls or only one wall (presumably because gates act in their place for castles which have multi walls).
    3) silly bug where you can't always add items to perimeters.. just need to see why it doesn't do it but reloading solves the problem.

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

Nice work to see a new version!

I have to say I have only had a short look at this so far, but the possibilities do already look incredibly great!
    Thanks for keeping this project up, despite the lack of feedback.

beho's Avatar Libertus

Heey,

yeah the tool is great. My goal is to get the "ne_castle" into blender. It's a lot of work to get every single structure converted (and deleting every destroyed structure).
    There are also some problems with the texture. What did I wrong?

Is there a better way to delete the "needless" structures?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

André