Page 5 of 168 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

Default Re: IWTE - World edditing

Is this program can using on Kindoms or only on MTW2 ?
    Sorry about my english

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Is this program can using on Kingdoms or only on MTW2 ?
    Hi its primarily for use on Kingdoms. Its a beta and still requires fairly extensive knowledge of the related files. A new version will hopefully be out later this month or next but most of the defaults are around how to amend NE_settlements (I need to add in certain identifiers to really support other settlements with regard animations).

Currently working on the deployment bits. Sorted out most of the block tables but still to work out the last bit which is the actual deployment bit. Then need to sort out the doors and ladders/stairs to get there.

Updated first thread with some other features that will be provided with the next release.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

another layer of awesomeness on its way !

another layer of awesomeness on its way
    Or another big learning curve out of its way

Just sorting out the paths bit but looking OK. Most of the bits are being set up as point and click providing you build the objects up the correct way (otherwise you have the joy of manually editing ). On the paths I have to ask for the ground door heights though.

Still need to circle back though items to allow more flexibility but for the basic models it should suffice.

I'm so glad that you (and I suppose makanyane?) are still working on this , despite that no one seems to really help you with testing or feedback.

Probably it's just because most people don't seem to understand what the possibilities already are or because they don't really understand the options of the editor.
    Anyway, looking forward to your next version, the change-list is really awesome and once it is released, I really hope to have some more time and to be of help with testing it!
    Also your future plans with adding animations to any structure sounds great, this should really open almost all possibilities! Keep up the great work!

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong
    I'm so glad that you (and I suppose makanyane?) are still working on this , despite that no one seems to really help you with testing or feedback.
    Good to hear form you and hope things are well. Yes we are still working on the tool most bits are there in basic forms now. I need to work out a bit more on the deployment as it still assumes all deployment positions fit rather than checking but if you know you've set the model correctly it works reasonably well.

Probably it's just because most people don't seem to understand what the possibilities already are or because they don't really understand the options of the editor.
    Anyway, looking forward to your next version, the change-list is really awesome and once it is released, I really hope to have some more time and to be of help with testing it!
    This is probably true and I haven't had time to write any form of Tutorial (maybe Makankane will eventually). Its getting quite extensive as the high levels function has between 60 to 70 options and you do need to do things in a particular way (I forgot how to use certain buttons and had to ask Mak). Just trying to work out a way of amending a door connected to two paths - I set it as an amendment to the door but now need to write back the effect on the two paths. Having said that so it shouldn't need too much knowledge of precise figures and no binary editing. It doesn't though allow a complete start from scratch as far as complexes go (Johnwile is doing something on that with his maxscript). I may look at it later but not sure yet how important it really is.

Also your future plans with adding animations to any structure sounds great, this should really open almost all possibilities! Keep up the great work!
    Not sure whether this is understood correctly. At the moment you can use a wall or gate and connect to their animations (at least for the NE_castle groups). I plan to expand this to allow pick up of certain key collisions and their animations. I haven't checked how many animations there are etc but as an example the NE wall has 6 groups whereas one of the others has only 5 groups so would require a different animation. They are both walls so I need to expand the criteria to match to the right type of wall. Its a bit early but certain things should be possible. A simple way is to allow wooden walls or fences to be imported however care needs to be taken that you don't import walls requiring two heights of ladders (for example) or have walls and outer fences but the besieging army only brings ladders and no rams.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Good to see this still progressing. Looks like you guys found a distro packaging solution, what did you end up using? I'm still looking for a good way to freeze scripts into EXEs for Py3k, since cx_Freeze bundles a bunch of DLLs with it which just doesn't look kosher.

If you have some 'raw instructions' I can help with the refining and formatting for a tutorial if you like, though I can't guarantee I'll understand the mumbo jumbo related to vectors and other modeling terminology. May be worth setting up a Google Code page for the project since writing a tutorial collaboratively on the project wiki area would be a better solution than any thread version.... plus then I could peek at your source for inspiration.

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

What king kong and AL said: there are lots of people looking at your guys work and we are all very enthousiast about it. We just don't post much.
    Please go on with this It's great!

Under the patronage of Pøntifex Maximus

I'm still looking for a good way to freeze scripts into EXEs for Py3k, since cx_Freeze bundles a bunch of DLLs with it which just doesn't look kosher.
    We tried different products but in the end used pyinstaller but it doesn't handle Maya (or at least i couldn't get it to). We are still using python 2.6 which was another reason for wanting just to create the exe as people didn't need to then bother with correct versions.

plus then I could peek at your source for inspiration
    I doubt it would inspire you. I was learning from scratch and doing some things a very old fashioned way then as its progressed I've ended up introducing new ways of doing things and also reverting to bad habits - also wrote about 3 ways of doing the same thing. I did remember its best not to code something when very tired or having had a drink but I did it anyway

I used PYQT as the main interface and that been a learning curve. I also simply kept adding to the same screen rather than introducing new ones (I fudged it by using tabs). Also caused more trouble than it was worth by switching the Y scale to negative simply because I started that way with a TGA setup initially. Finally probably would of started down the PYQT 3d route rather than the 2D route for some things but maybe next time..

I need to check for stability and that I haven't done anything which has now upset the other items.

Quote Originally Posted by Eöl
    What king kong and AL said: there are lots of people looking at your guys work and we are all very enthousiast about it. We just don't post much.
    Please go on with this It's great!
    Its OK I wasn't stopping. The next version should allow most things to be done even though you have to use an existing settlement as a base. I haven't touched tech tree slots and still have some smaller bits to figure out. Main two items I want is to reintroduce selection of specific collision and animations from other files (I did it originally but I need to distinguish a wooden wall v a normal wall as an example) and also sort out the deployment so it can handle partial rows.

Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    We tried different products but in the end used pyinstaller but it doesn't handle Maya (or at least i couldn't get it to). We are still using python 2.6 which was another reason for wanting just to create the exe as people didn't need to then bother with correct versions.
    PyInstaller is good but it doesn't work with Py3k yet.

Maybe if NumPy ports during Google Summer of Code we'll see more things follow suit. *fingers crossed*

I doubt it would inspire you. I was learning from scratch and doing some things a very old fashioned way then as its progressed I've ended up introducing new ways of doing things and also reverting to bad habits - also wrote about 3 ways of doing the same thing. I did remember its best not to code something when very tired or having had a drink but I did it anyway

I used PYQT as the main interface and that been a learning curve. I also simply kept adding to the same screen rather than introducing new ones (I fudged it by using tabs). Also caused more trouble than it was worth by switching the Y scale to negative simply because I started that way with a TGA setup initially. Finally probably would of started down the PYQT 3d route rather than the 2D route for some things but maybe next time..

I need to check for stability and that I haven't done anything which has now upset the other items.
    I was intending to use PyQt as well, since wxWindows doesn't have a Py3k compatible version. I have an eBook of "Rapid GUI Programming with PyQt 4", though can't say how much good it's going to do me.

I hope you're complying with PEP 8 or the Naga will take you away in your sleep! (Realistically though the most important thing is that the code does what it needs to, not how it looks, at least in this case)

I was intending to use PyQt as well, since wxWindows doesn't have a Py3k compatible version. I have an eBook of "Rapid GUI Programming with PyQt 4", though can't say how much good it's going to do me.

I hope you're complying with PEP 8 or the Naga will take you away in your sleep! (Realistically though the most important thing is that the code does what it needs to, not how it looks, at least in this case)
    Well no idea what PEP8 is I just wrote what I needed - as said I've a lot of bad traits comes from a cobol background from a long time ago. I did buy the book though. Found it quite useful - though bought the hard back version.

Patrician Citizen

Well no idea what PEP8 is I just wrote what I needed - as said I've a lot of bad traits comes from a cobol background from a long time ago. I did buy the book though. Found it quite useful - though bought the hard back version.
    PEP 8 is the (unofficial official) style guide for coding in Python.

PEP 8 is the (unofficial official) style guide for coding in Python.
    Thanks, as I'm not really a python coder though and was really learning and playing around mostly for my own reasons the answer to coding standards is a pretty simple .. er no.... sorry.
    Last edited by wilddog; May 30, 2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Nesimî's Avatar Protector Domesticus

To put it simply, I have no idea what you guys are talking about but I want to make buildings Makanyane said that I need to be familiar with .world files. Where can I start learning these things from scratch?
    shum

Next version in final testing (hopefully) so should release soon. It maybe I release and then if any new bugs are reported I can fix. I'll see how testing goes over this coming weekend. There won't be a tutorial though at this stage.

@MemduhG - the world modified thread by Argantonio is where it all began. The new tool references certain names used in that but a lot of it is really just select and point. There are certain constraints though that need to be remembered when using the tool.

Latest version released. Let me know if issues but I'm mostly concentrating back on my mod (when I have time now).

After a break with modding buildings I downloaded the new version. It became even more a huge tool, I think this tool will be able to do everything we need.
    But unfortunately, there is still the problem that I also had in the last version.
    I still can't add or delete structures, its always the same error message, but with the first version of the tool this error is not there, when I'm doing the same action. (always) (remember my post #72)
    But Ok. I'm now using the first version 1.2 for these actions

My second question is, how can I save a new deployment area? When I change it, there is no OK-button or something, And after saving the world-file and reloading, there is still the old area.

Another question: When I export a pathfinding tga, it is empty (nothing in it). Is there anything I have to know about?

So, I will have even more questions, I think

@twmodder
    We'll look into the issues you've reported and see if we can sort them out.. sorry but that's the type of info I need.

I was trying out the tool on a new settlement and hit some problems so have spent a lot of today correcting items I thought were working OK :
    - bug tied to adding a new breach door,
    - bug tied to deleting a breach door if path finding reference greater than 127
    - bug tied to loading an ms3d model of a gate at a specific angle (tool hangs in bounding sphere calculation ).
    (haven't solved this one yet).

Spotted the issue on the deployment button .. its only me changing the buttons when I introduced a new use for that tab and not cross checking enough ... sorry.

Pathfinding TGA - we're not seeing any problems at all so not sure what the issue is there. I can't recreate it.

Edit : OK deployment bit fixed now. It was just me not re-showing the button. Will be part of next release (I just want to capture any other issues) otherwise I'll release as bugs are found.

Edit : just realised the structure issue is the same one we came across today. Its back so to some of the original code which I wasn't cross checking before I wrote back. I hadn't hit it due to mainly testing on smaller files. I'll load the next version up now as the fix was built into that and then if you let me know if you still have the same issues.

New load also has the ability to assign perimeters.
    Last edited by wilddog; June 27, 2010 at 02:21 PM.

Ok, I checked the new version.

Add/delete structures now works,
    Changing Deployment area works,
    But you should check the action ''add deployment node'', there is also no OK-Button, and also under the tab blocks/paths, there are no OK buttons ( I'm not sure if they are needed there)

At the moment I cant't see more errors. But it seems that there are some problems with handling huge cities... When I get a concrete error, I'll post it.