Thread: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Default Re: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post

Noted; but probably will be done by making the node selectable by 'drawing' a box round it with the mouse - bigger blobs might start overlapping each other if there's a lot round circular towers etc.

Another suggestion.

A create collisions for all objects in structure button.

Sometimes adding one by one can be very boring and time consuming.
    A good example is when I add 40 braziers an then need to add their collisions one by one.

By the way, after adding the collisions to the braziers I need to add the fire effects one by one too, which makes me wonder if a Change collision effects for all objects in structure would also be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    A create collisions for all objects in structure button.
    Eventhough you should be reusing collisions where possible I think a feature like this could still be very useful and save a lot of time, same goes for a "select multiple structures and delete" button so you can just walk away from the pc and let it process instead of having to sit there and tediously click through it for hours
    By the way, after adding the collisions to the braziers I need to add the fire effects one by one too, which makes me wonder if a Change collision effects for all objects in structure would also be useful.
    I think if you assign one of your braziers a collision and add the fire effect and then reassign that collision to the other brazier objects (instead of creating a new object collision) it will also keep the fire effect on those.

Mak can you explain me what exactly battlemerge, terrainmerge files, and the merge distances (vertex count) are responsible for?
    How do they work?

I know you probably explained this to me before but... after all this years, Im getting old. Sorry.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; April 16, 2018 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xHolyCrusader View Post
    Eventhough you should be reusing collisions where possible I think a feature like this could still be very useful and save a lot of time, same goes for a "select multiple structures and delete" button so you can just walk away from the pc and let it process instead of having to sit there and tediously click through it for hours
    there is the delete everything except first complex/structure buttons in the specials tab, (keep first complex.etc) if you just want to reduce to the bare minimum - assume you're aiming for something to just keep outer walls though? Will pass on to WD as an idea... but not sure how the selection process works in python.
    I think if you assign one of your braziers a collision and add the fire effect and then reassign that collision to the other brazier objects (instead of creating a new object collision) it will also keep the fire effect on those.
    yup - that's the main point for re-using collisions

and Leo - I'm older than you... so it might take me a while to remember!

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    Mak can you explain me what exactly battlemerge, terrainmerge files, and the merge distances (vertex count) are responsible for?
    How do they work?

I know you probably explained this to me before but... after all this years, Im getting old. Sorry.
    Terrain Base - which you didn't ask about... is the one that's the equivalent of an ms3d model, and represents actual heights - so if your building starts at +12m high in milkshape you need that to have the bit under it at +12m too... you can sort that in the 2d edit view or in milkshape if the terrain is small enough to export.

Terrain Merge - is the equivalent of an alpha layer for that (from the days when we just did this with 2d images) - so if it's pure white (on the image) or 100% in the 2d edit window, you'll get exactly the height specified in the Terrain Base section. If it's pure black (image) or 0% (2d edit) then you'll get exactly what the terrain would have been without the settlement. Shades of grey / other values will get you a blend between those values (whiter/higher values closer to the terrain base - blacker/lower closer to the without settlement situation)

Battle Merge thingy - is only used for settlements not ambients or techtrees - it was CA's way of flattening a large area to make sure that the area around a settlement is workable, e.g. the deploying armies don't end up stuck up a cliff or in the sea. If left at pure white/100% values it will impose a large flat area which flattens the battlemap and then the Terrain Base sits on that.

The merge distances applies to the Terrain Merge only and can be used as a way of making sure you've got a blend on that (instead of cliff edges) in case you don't want to manually adjust it. Manually adjusting it is the better option...

yup - that's the main point for re-using collisions
    You still need to do it one by one.

Terrain Base - which you didn't ask about... is the one that's the equivalent of an ms3d model, and represents actual heights - so if your building starts at +12m high in milkshape you need that to have the bit under it at +12m too... you can sort that in the 2d edit view or in milkshape if the terrain is small enough to export.

Terrain Merge - is the equivalent of an alpha layer for that (from the days when we just did this with 2d images) - so if it's pure white (on the image) or 100% in the 2d edit window, you'll get exactly the height specified in the Terrain Base section. If it's pure black (image) or 0% (2d edit) then you'll get exactly what the terrain would have been without the settlement. Shades of grey / other values will get you a blend between those values (whiter/higher values closer to the terrain base - blacker/lower closer to the without settlement situation)

Battle Merge thingy - is only used for settlements not ambients or techtrees - it was CA's way of flattening a large area to make sure that the area around a settlement is workable, e.g. the deploying armies don't end up stuck up a cliff or in the sea. If left at pure white/100% values it will impose a large flat area which flattens the battlemap and then the Terrain Base sits on that.

The merge distances applies to the Terrain Merge only and can be used as a way of making sure you've got a blend on that (instead of cliff edges) in case you don't want to manually adjust it. Manually adjusting it is the better option...
    Nothing new here. I was just trying to be sure. Thanks!!!

nevermind.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; April 21, 2018 at 12:06 AM.

Hi !!! I try to add effect collision to 256 hight and it put only 100 height , omg it means in Machu-Picchu will be no burning buildings?

Quote Originally Posted by raubak View Post
    Hi !!! I try to add effect collision to 256 hight and it put only 100 height , omg it means in Machu-Picchu will be no burning buildings?
    Are you using the latest version of IWTE? (see first post in this thread) one of the earlier ones had a bug about collision effect heights...

Actually no - I see what you mean - that height is the relative height. e.g. the distance from the center of the object - can't see why you'd need an effect more than 100m above the center of the object!

(if things aren't appearing where they should be relative to the object height then see the crossed out bit above - one of the IWTE versions had a bug that stuck everything at an absolute value of 0m )

Thx for reply ... aha u just answer on two my questions ...IWTE_v17_07_A i use that version and i hope it is a problem ...and yes the problem is i misunderstood what kind of hight i need to put in there ...
    also about not using collision - is it any bad side efects from huge amount of unusing collision ,do i need to delete them for some reason?

i have problem with one link/ladder path around two ground level doors - units go up ,but can't goes down ,seems like wrong height of door ....i try exact height , little upper or lower still didn't work....and i see it with all ladder pathes with two ground doors works only one way ,and if it no deployment block in a way, units got stuck otherway they can got to deployment block and then go up ...
    Last edited by raubak; June 08, 2018 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raubak View Post
    i have problem with one link/ladder path around two ground level doors - units go up ,but can't goes down ,seems like wrong height of door ....i try exact height , little upper or lower still didn't work....and i see it with all ladder pathes with two ground doors works only one way ,and if it no deployment block in a way, units got stuck otherway they can got to deployment block and then go up ...
    Could you send me the files to look at? .world, .worldcollision, .animinstances, .worldterrain, veg and pathfinding
    upload somewhere and either post link here or pm it to me?

Tell me how to assign an object (wall) a value "DmgeTranse"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jukoman View Post
    Tell me how to assign an object (wall) a value "DmgeTranse"?
    That's the number of stages in the animation.

You need to go to 'Animations' and use either 'Assign Animation/Collision' - if the correct wall animation is already in the file or
    'Pick new Animation/Collision' if you need to copy it from another .world

If you want damaged states for the wall but don't need (or can't match) an existing animation, then you don't need that bit - you just need multiple groups within the object.

Thank you.

Another question. I made a fort. Has ordered its culture eastern_european (the one that also has vanilla). But for some reason now this fort has northern_european.
    I changed the file worldpkgdesc. Section 'updated reference path' I filled out.

In the EB2 mod there are 7 cultures and all of them have separate forts. But there all cultures are new. Сan this all be the case? Maybe it does not work on fan culture?

replacement of the inscription in the section "Culture" (.worldpkgdesc) does not help. Similarly, changing the path to the file does not help.

For anything 'eastern_european' the game defaults to 'northern_european' even if you try to tell it not to...

you need to leave the culture as 'northern_european' BUT use the Faction line for your eastern faction's name
    if you've got more than one faction you want to use the fort make a new .worldpkgdesc for each of them
    (you can have more than one package pointing at the same .world/path)

I used these settings:

Those. I left the northern culture, but I entered the name of the faction.
    Anyway, the game uses the northern one.
    I put the files in the north folder and in the folder of the eastern cultures - there are no changes in both cases.

I used a vanilla model of the Aztec fort to distinguish them visually.

And if I rename Eastern European culture or create a new one, should I work?