Thread: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Default Re: IWTE - World editing(Added tutorial)

Ive read in ur tut about gates and bridges but remembered for that only when found reason. Afaik i have only 1 perimeter(when select items in 2d window i choose assign to per. 1, am i right here?

EDIT: I also tried to delete all breaches and pastle on those places terrain - same thing. If behind the gates exists the path - the gates will not work... I will try to place bridges before the gates. It will make my settlement bigger and maybe will make some disbalance - to capture gate units should pass bridge. Bridge in this case - limited space, isn't it?
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; January 11, 2014 at 01:55 PM.

Jox, seriously, try the files I sent - that's got one bridge in (the front one) and works... anyway that explains the difference in my attempt to delete bridges not fixing gates - I put terrain 'bridges' in and/or flattened the terrain to remove the 'moat'

Hello guys.
    Mak, am i right understand you: I should have 3 complexes. Each complex will include my gate, right? Or how should i use complexes?
    EDIT ty mak, ive used ur files u sent me. Ive got my settlement to work with all current structures. Gates and bridges work.

Another question: how do i make wall siegeable and deployable for defenders? Ive tried to add doors, ladders it isnt work.
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; January 12, 2014 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jox25 View Post
    Hello guys.
    Mak, am i right understand you: I should have 3 complexes. Each complex will include my gate, right? Or how should i use complexes?
    EDIT ty mak, ive used ur files u sent me. Ive got my settlement to work with all current structures. Gates and bridges work.
    glad to hear that - if it breaks again do let us know where...

did you figure out the theory with the complexes? if you look at a vanilla settlement and use 'view complex' and then "structures" tab 'view Table 1 blocks' you'll see how CA set theirs up - you don't need to be quite that fussy but having the models somewhere near the block they're theoretically assigned to is better for various things...
    (don't worry too much though - most people including all the third age stuff, ignored it...)

Another question: how do i make wall siegeable and deployable for defenders? Ive tried to add doors, ladders it isnt work.
    looking at the last version you sent (which looks roughly OK) you seem to have left the ground door height a the default 0.00, that needs to be changed to your actual ground height, or the troops won't find it (link/ladder intermediate points may need changing after that to stop floating/tunnelling)

Finally! I've got to perfect work of all my walls. Thank you mak again

EDIT: wilddog, during the work on deployment blocks i have 2 suggestions to you how to make it more flexible and useful:
    1. Add sorting function. Example: My walls aren't sorted so it will be difficult to me to find my doors(the only way is to use 'View Object' from the selected object and then 'View World' to point where this wall located.)
    2. Show deployment block number in 2d window when push 'View Table Blocks' in 'View' tab.

EDIT2: bug: When creating ground level door and push in View tab 'View door points' then press OK to create ground level door - OK function doesn't work.

P.S. I'm sry if i repeat someone/or these functions already in the programm etc.
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; January 13, 2014 at 06:31 AM.

WD says he'll have a look and see if any of those are fixable before next patch.

Would point 2. sort out the need for point 1.? I'm not quite sure what you were trying to get to with point 1.

Anyway, view world first, and then 'view col object transposed' is probably easier if it's got a collision, it'll light up orange, and you can keep selecting different objects to check without clearing the whole view. Printing the world TGA and making a little diagram on it of where the structures are is also useful, especially if you're trying to keep the complexes roughly in their Table 1 blocks positions.

Hehe ive used paper and pen
    About p.2 - and yes and no. Numbers of blocks could be useful if u are creating doors, ladders.

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

latest version - only minor though unless you want to play with the complex lighting.

with version 14_01_E
    1) New parameters for selecting and refining the complex effects lighting.
    2) Amended effects changes to remove the 'night only' flag as it didn't really mean that. It is automatically set based on being a light and tied to undamaged objects.
    3) Minor message updates/GUI things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jox25
    Hehe ive used paper and pen
    About p.2 - and yes and no. Numbers of blocks could be useful if u are creating doors, ladders.
    Thanks for the feedback. I know there are a few bits I need to tidy up and make somewhat more user friendly. When I was getting time to use the tool it was mostly on newer/smaller settlements so not such an issue.
    I'll try and have a look at the door/paths/blocks selection thing to see if there are some basic quick hits to improve them.

Still want to :
    1) add a more advanced culling option into the complex bits (basically where a point isn't blocked but the rest of its triangle is). CA didn't handle that either though.
    2) refine the shading process and speed that up.
    3) add in a routine tied to strat map sea/land triangles (doesn't look like much of a call for it but I may have a fiddle with another map soon).
    Last edited by wilddog; January 19, 2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling

We've been testing no 1 above today and that's looking pretty good now. Need to determine the best set of default parameters to tie in with vanilla. It also includes culling for non facing triangles (i.e. where back face is missing). Plan to work on the shading process shortly to improve on that.

Hey guys! Have another question: I've heard that i can create a custom model of my settlement for strat map via IWTE. How can i do this?

P.S. nice new tweak with light effects!
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; January 17, 2014 at 07:42 AM.

HI Jox25 - Use specials tab, then the set of buttons for strat cas (they're in the 4th column). Not sure it opens all of them but you just need an example of what you want to replace.

And how do i convert my Big battlemap settlement model(consited of complexes) to Small stratmap model?

Quote Originally Posted by Jox25
    And how do i convert my Big battlemap settlement model(consited of complexes) to Small stratmap model?
    You don't. You have to create from scratch and also delete out unwanted triangles (i.e that can't be seen because they are at the back). Using too many triangles in a strat map model is a really bad idea.
    Last edited by wilddog; January 17, 2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: highlighted you don't!

What if my settlement includes 2 not big hills, ~90 buildings and some else?
    Am i right understand you: all i need is delete so much triangles as i can to get my settlement in entire milkshape file?

@jox25 Nooooo as I said you don't. You start from scratch and create a really simple version for the strat map. You want something with relatively few vertexes and triangles. Open one of the existing strat models and use the tools option in milkshape to see just how few a number of triangles/vertexes you are aiming for. eg a wall should be a nice simple block and maybe a few crenelations. Nothing too fancy. The game only likes a certain number of vertex/triangles in the stratmap. making over fancy strat buildings or trees etc simply overloads the engine.

Oh i got it, thanks.

Hi everyone! I modified my mud_mask.texture in maps/overlays but now all the terrain is changed, not just the area I've chosen. What can cause it?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkay View Post
    Hi everyone! I modified my mud_mask.texture in maps/overlays but now all the terrain is changed, not just the area I've chosen. What can cause it?
    the only bit that is relevant in the mud_mask.texture is the alpha layer, if you saved your new file without alpha layer etc.. then you might have problem. Also if 'masked' texture is applied to whole area of battle map, that normally means game can't find the listed 'mask.texture' - check your log file and check the file names and locations.

I'm a fool, obviously I didn't save the alpha layer.. Thanks!

I'm revamping the paths changing sections for the next version as it was both messy and buggy.
    1) Doors will now show with their door numbers and can be selected directly in the 2d view.
    2) Paths continue to show their numbers and can be selected directly.
    3) paths and their doors will remain in the view so you can see them for reference when editing a path.
    4) selection of path nodes uses point and/or drag.
    5) selection of multiple line segments will insert multiple nodes (i.e. one per selected segment).
    6) the point selection of nodes is more accurate
    7) the messages shown are now more appropriate.

Hopefully this will address most of the issues with this process.

Also planning to add a node removal process to reduce unwanted nodes.