Thread: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

Default Re: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    Can anybody show how these swamps look like? I don't remember seeing them in battles myself.
    There are existing "lakes" as ambients, which you probably don't notice much in battle. Getting realistic looking swamps is possibly a bit harder (as veg and textures default to the surrounding climate) but could be done, and would be quite fun...

Quote Originally Posted by rafmc1989 View Post
    Somewhat I'm having the same issue when opening the different binary files, as it redirects everytime to the IWTE folder, instead of the one for the settlements in question being edited...

is it something related to the new IWTE version? (I mean, nothing too big, but tedious btw)
    For me the .exe v17_07_A still defaults to the last place I opened something... I'm on a rather unupdated version of Win7. If you've got a different response from that .exe then it might be more to do with a change to how the operating system works with it???

Not sure this is something we're likely to fix - easy answer, and which helps avoid accidentally overwriting wrong things, is copy the files you want to amend to the IWTE folder or sub-folder below it, then move back when you've finalised.

Yes, maybe related to the OS in case...

Ok then, I'll be following your suggestion to avoid any kind of overwriting...

Thanks double (two nice advices in a day!)

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

I'm using win 10 and have the same situation as Mak reported. So not sure how to reproduce the problem. I know the paint processes behave differently but just opening the world files always defaults (for me) the same directory I opened the first file and then saves there.

I know I need to tidy up some bits but usage is pretty small and I want to convert to version 3 python (but not exactly spending much time doing it).

nadalio's Avatar Civis
    Where the nameless things gnawing the earth

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    No I'm not!

Now that you say, I checked it and you are right. Some of the .pkg of the ambient buildings inside north european folder has no culture.
    I can only think that these are the ones shared by all cultures, and it makes sense since they are very suspicious types e.g. swamps (that should really be generic for all cultures)

This is the only open window I see for modding it the way I want.

What I want to do is:

Have specific ambient buildings for each culture, showing up in territories controlled by factions of this culture. (I don't think I need them specific by faction, but anyway, would it be possible? The PKG file allow us to edit the faction line!)

I'm going to try this way. Using the culture and maybe the faction line in .pkg.

The faction line possibility is for Mordor, since I don't want anything showing up inside this country (imagine a green swamp near mount doom!). But mordor has the same culture of the other orc factions, and those should be able to have swamps etc.

Still, if any faction capture a territory inside mordor, this faction's ambient buildings will show up there inside. and there is no way to prevent this from happening. It's a minor issue anyway.

So I will release the next evrsion of my sub mod like this and wait for people to report what happens. It's a simple thing to do anyway.

Ambient buildings. Sorry.
    What about the variant line? Does it have effect on the texture of ambient buldings?
    For example:
    If i have an orc tent for estern european culture (mordor) as an ambient building, could i use the VARIANT line so it will look like different for eriador or gondor?
    So if gondor will take a region of mordor, i will assign to them an invisible texture for the tent, so it will not be seen ingame?
    How does the VARIANT line work with the folders?

Another thing i tried to change the battle model of a fort in TATW with a new model from another mod.
    1)I put the fort folder in : \data\settlements\north_european\ambient_settlements
    2)I update the references path
    3)I change the culture and the PKG path in the worldpkgdesc
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    14 village_fort_A 10 settlement
    82 settlements/north_european/ambient_settlements/village_fort_a/village_fort_A.world
    6 number of pairs of attributes to follow
    7 culture
    14 north_european

11 environment
    7 generic

7 faction
    3 any

18 fortificationlevel
    4 none

4 type
    7 village

7 variant
    4 none

4)Add an entry to start.text :
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    region Wildlands_Province
    farming_level 0
    famine_threat 0
    fort 124 493 village_fort_a culture northern_european ;forochel test
    ;NOT TESTED (village barbarian eb2)

The fort look like always as a wooden fort of vanilla MTW2. I changed the culture to mesoamerican and did the same things to the files but it always look like to a vanilla mesoamerican woden fort.

Most of the guide change the worldpkgdesc with an Hex program, but without detailed instructions. So the mistake could be in these lines?

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    For me the .exe v17_07_A still defaults to the last place I opened something... I'm on a rather unupdated version of Win7. If you've got a different response from that .exe then it might be more to do with a change to how the operating system works with it???
    Im using an old windows 7 version aswell and it used to work fine for me, the problem started to occur when I tried the "Create Anim packs" (was curious what it does^^) which wrote a bunch of files into the IWTE folder, perhaps you can reproduce the problem this way, at the risk of messing things up for you aswell :p

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

I'm wondering if the is some line in the .pkg file that could prevent the game loading ambient settlements in specific regions. The culture and faction lines are obvious, but maybe the Environment line caould be of use?

@leo - 'environment' looks like it should do that... I've not found any way of using it that has an effect yet though - I was trying on settlements though, could be worth experimenting on ambients

@nadalio - where your pkg has 'type' 'village' - you need 'type' & 'default_fort'
    use IWTE to create new pkg - on the first 'WorldFiles' tab there's an 'Edit worldpackage' button, use that it'll create a new one for you based on your changes to the one you opened. Remember to delete the old pkg if you don't need it anymore.

@xHoly - I'll look - have you tried making a copy of the .exe file and sticking it somewhere else? I think the new copy shouldn't inherit the default file look-up location from the old one

EDIT: at the moment can't remember what the variant bit does... but in the pkg, no it's not anything to do with textures.

Thanks mak, moving the exe fixed it! Guess I just grew too attached to having it on my desktop so didnt even think about that

ah, ok, so moving the .exe was the solution, good then!

nadalio's Avatar Civis

@
    makayane
    where your pkg has 'type' 'village' - you need 'type' & 'default_fort'
    use IWTE to create new pkg - on the first 'WorldFiles' tab there's an 'Edit worldpackage' button, use that it'll create a new one for you based on your changes to the one you opened. Remember to delete the old pkg if you don't need it anymore
    Thank you makayane but it didn't work with type=default_fort , it always shows a vailla woden fort of m2tw (the one that is buildable), i deleted the old PKG and cancel the WD letters in the name.
    I don't understand whats wrong other people change fort model with a village one sucessfully.

Does the fort folder must be in every culture folder with update paths in the pkg?

Quote Originally Posted by nadalio View Post
    Thank you makayane but it didn't work with type=default_fort , it always shows a vailla woden fort of m2tw (the one that is buildable), i deleted the old PKG and cancel the WD letters in the name.
    I don't understand whats wrong other people change fort model with a village one sucessfully.

Does the fort folder must be in every culture folder with update paths in the pkg?
    PKG name is completely irrelevant... and where the fort folder is is also completely irrelevant, so long as it's where the PKG path says

things to try;

stick the 'village_fort_a' name in the variant slot of the PKG

if the province it's in isn't actually a starting province for the northern_europeans then make another PKG that has the relevant culture (mesoamerican?) as the culture - maybe that needs to tie up to make it work?

nadalio's Avatar Civis

PKG name is completely irrelevant... and where the fort folder is is also completely irrelevant, so long as it's where the PKG path says

things to try;

stick the 'village_fort_a' name in the variant slot of the PKG

if the province it's in isn't actually a starting province for the northern_europeans then make another PKG that has the relevant culture (mesoamerican?) as the culture - maybe that needs to tie up to make it work?
    Tried the VARIANT LINE and did't make any effect.

the village is northeuropean culture. Its placed in a slave region, culture northeuropean and the faction creator is scotland (i look on the strat.text)

So i change the faction line in pkg to Scotland and slave but nothing (as a custom settlement).

I test the fort on another computer with an older copy MTW2 (pevious test was on a laptop with m2tw steam version) and it always show as a as vanilla woden fort.

It seems that the game ignoring the mod folder and use the vanilla ones?
    I start the game always with this parameters:
    [io]
    file_first = true
    disable_file_cache = 1

[log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * trace

[video]
    windowed = true
    borderless_window = 1

@nadalio
    see this bit; http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Battle_...s_are_Selected

please check you've got a copy of the "packagedb.txt" in your mod-folder

can't think of anything else at the moment - might be worth having a look at Gig's stuff about stone forts;
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...the-Battle-Map

@leo - 'environment' looks like it should do that... I've not found any way of using it that has an effect yet though - I was trying on settlements though, could be worth experimenting on ambients
    Ok Mak, thanks. Maybe typing the climate in this line. I think climate is the most obvious thing.

nadalio's Avatar Civis

@nadalio
    see this bit; http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Battle_...s_are_Selected

please check you've got a copy of the "packagedb.txt" in your mod-folder

can't think of anything else at the moment - might be worth having a look at Gig's stuff about stone forts;
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...the-Battle-Map
    Makanyane, you are wonderful!! I did a lot of test, the solution was the combination of the VARIANT LINE and my stupid mistake. The CULTURE LINE is NORTHER_EUROPEAN not NORTH_EUROPEAN like the folders.

The last step is to add the winter texture. I add all the texture in the BLOCKSET FOLDER but it seems that is not enough, there is always a brown square without the white snow texture for the settlement.

1 - After concluding that factions/cultures don't share ambient buildings, I'm in doubt again because I remembered that there is no folder for east european settlements. So were do they take their ambient buildings from?

2 - Say I want to create new ambient buildings exclusive for Gondor, but they will be nothing more than north european ambient buildings with gondor textures.

My plan is to replace the textures via IWTE, save the 3 binary files, change the file names to something that will differ them from vanilla ones (other factions uses north european ambient settlements so vanilla must not be replaced), change the pkg file to make it GONDOR culture and to point the new .world file I created.

I guess all I need then is the new .pkg and the .world, right? Or do I also need the .worldcollision? (Or maybe any other)
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; October 26, 2017 at 10:40 PM.

i wonder how to know heights of my tower to add Arrowslot in IWTE ?

Quote Originally Posted by raubak View Post
    i wonder how to know heights of my tower to add Arrowslot in IWTE ?
    Load the structure that contains the arrow towers together with its textures into ms3d then hover with the mouse over the area where the arrow slits are on the model/texture in one of the 2d-views (front or side), then in the bottom left corner look at the values displayed for x,y and z, note down the y value and enter that as height for the arrowslots in IWTE

Thx xHolyCrusader that was easy
    i also wonder is it possible to get all wall and gate animation working proper in hight like 230,000 .. cuz i tru seems it got error ...