Thread: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

Default Re: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

What happened to Terrain->2D options ? (plus see terrain in 3D)

I need these for terrain editing.
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

It's moved to the 'paint' process (which stopped things grinding to a halt on larger file sizes...)

To load a worldterrain file go to the 'file type' tab in top left corner, then 'world files' from the drop down.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...rst-Settlement
    xHolyCrusaders video covers it

the 3d window should pop up automatically when you load the .worldterrain

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    It's moved to the 'paint' process (which stopped things grinding to a halt on larger file sizes...)

To load a worldterrain file go to the 'file type' tab in top left corner, then 'world files' from the drop down.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...rst-Settlement
    xHolyCrusaders video covers it

the 3d window should pop up automatically when you load the .worldterrain

thanks but how do you edit individual mesh point height from within IWTE, like previous versions?
    Last edited by Rorarii; September 06, 2015 at 06:25 AM.
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Quote Originally Posted by Rorarii View Post
    thanks but how do you edit individual mesh point height from within IWTE, like previous versions?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	terrain edit.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	329375
    zoom in to the 2d view so you can see the height values displayed when you hover mouse over them

change 'Brush Type' to 'absolute' if you want an exact height & put the height you want in 'Brush Value' - if you just want to change one mesh point leave the brush size set to 1
    click on the point you want to change - if you want to flatten a large area increase the brush size...

if you just want to raise/lower points a bit you can use the Inc/dec brush type then it will increase/decrease the height by the amount in 'brush value' each time you click.

the 2d view doesn't show the diagonals of the grid anymore - that's part of what made it too slow on large terrains... but you can see the effect in the 3d view

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Warning, issue xHolyCrusader found is affecting more than just town walls. Please hold off using the version IWTE_v15_09_B. I'll try and get a fix out later this week.

Name:	terrain edit.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	329375
    zoom in to the 2d view so you can see the height values displayed when you hover mouse over them

change 'Brush Type' to 'absolute' if you want an exact height & put the height you want in 'Brush Value' - if you just want to change one mesh point leave the brush size set to 1
    click on the point you want to change - if you want to flatten a large area increase the brush size...

if you just want to raise/lower points a bit you can use the Inc/dec brush type then it will increase/decrease the height by the amount in 'brush value' each time you click.

the 2d view doesn't show the diagonals of the grid anymore - that's part of what made it too slow on large terrains... but you can see the effect in the 3d view
    Thanks again, that answered my question on height but i'm still confused about editing terrain skins - textures (grass, light dark etc). if i wanted to change the color of the grass in a certain area, say in the bottom of a ditch to the color of water / mud ?
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Quote Originally Posted by Rorarii View Post
    Thanks again, that answered my question on height but i'm still confused about editing terrain skins - textures (grass, light dark etc). if i wanted to change the color of the grass in a certain area, say in the bottom of a ditch to the color of water / mud ?
    This is probably covered better in one of the terrain editing threads, but...

you can't directly change the colour - each .worldterrain can have up to 4 'masks' each of those masks applies a micro and macro texture to the areas where its alpha layer is white or grey. To see/change the masks and textures go to the Terrain 1 tab and "Amend WT Mask TGA paths" - the masks have to be listed as tga's but they actually need to be .textures in game.

To edit a mask in IWTE open the terrain file as above - then using 'file type' > 'world files' > '_*mask.texture' open the texture. Click the big A alpha button to open its alpha layer and remove/reduce the visibility on the top layer - edit the alpha layer with the brush tools. Save changes and you'll get a .tga version of the file in 'IWTE Save' folder - you need to convert that to dds then back to texture. (IWTE can't do the write to dds step you need the nvidia tools or someone elses version for that)

Name:	mask editing.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	329406

you can open other stuff like your pathfinding file other masks or the .world files to view them in the 2d window at the same time to get things to line up - play with the opacity values and/or switch layer visibility on/off to get a view that makes sense for the area you're trying to find.

This is probably covered better in one of the terrain editing threads, but...

you can't directly change the colour - each .worldterrain can have up to 4 'masks' each of those masks applies a micro and macro texture to the areas where its alpha layer is white or grey. To see/change the masks and textures go to the Terrain 1 tab and "Amend WT Mask TGA paths" - the masks have to be listed as tga's but they actually need to be .textures in game.

To edit a mask in IWTE open the terrain file as above - then using 'file type' > 'world files' > '_*mask.texture' open the texture. Click the big A alpha button to open its alpha layer and remove/reduce the visibility on the top layer - edit the alpha layer with the brush tools. Save changes and you'll get a .tga version of the file in 'IWTE Save' folder - you need to convert that to dds then back to texture. (IWTE can't do the write to dds step you need the nvidia tools or someone elses version for that)

Name:	mask editing.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	329406

you can open other stuff like your pathfinding file other masks or the .world files to view them in the 2d window at the same time to get things to line up - play with the opacity values and/or switch layer visibility on/off to get a view that makes sense for the area you're trying to find.
    thanks.

not an easy system to use. i'll leave it a few days to build up confidence and understanding before trying it again.
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Main collision problem of the pulled release has been resolved. I just want to do a few more checks before I release but problem looks resolved.... I copied a bit of code and placed one line out of sync which caused all the issues and were compounded by me doing some other changes to resolve this one item.

Something very minor I just noticed today, could you bring back the option to change the brush size when editing the 'tree' bits of the vegetation file. Deleting a lot of trees can be quite annoying with the brush of size 1 ^^
    You could add a little note to the slider saying that each dot represnts a tree so only brush size 1 makes sense when editing, as I guess this was the reason you originally removed the brush size settings for trees.

OK finally released version IWTE_v15_09_C from September 9th 2015.

with version 15_09_C
    1) Amended selecting and picking collisions/animations process to allow for option selection when setting types of wall/gate - previously defaulted as per castle..
    2) Amended collision matching process to handle offset palisade vanilla selection - previously the collision didn't realign correctly as the vanilla was not set up quite as expected.
    3) Now allow option to change door/breach opening size
    4) corrected pathfinding painting process to remove odd pixels accidentally left in place.
    5) Editing world vegetation allows change in brush size to support easy delete.

Hopefully it should all be working fine now. I had a silly bug due to bad positioning of one line of code. It resulted in one of the coordinates out of the 3 triangle points having a -ve value versus the otehr 2 (tied to handling collision reflections or not). Consequently the centre positions were being miscalculated. It now looks like all the collisions fully match up.

xHolyCrusader - I added back the change in size for the world vegetation. Think I originally went to keep as fixed for the tree adding but as you said for deleting its a pain. That's just a parameter which controls what you see. Think I was considering whether to make the add one pixel but the delete multi but never got around to it as its the only type of editing that would use it.

I also added a couple more options for the battlemap editing tinting schemes. I marked them out starting with 'BM-' they are just parameters. If you have difficulty reading a value just swap to one of the other schemes as it may help.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    OK finally released version IWTE_v15_09_C from September 9th 2015.

with version 15_09_C
    1) Amended selecting and picking collisions/animations process to allow for option selection when setting types of wall/gate - previously defaulted as per castle..
    2) Amended collision matching process to handle offset palisade vanilla selection - previously the collision didn't realign correctly as the vanilla was not set up quite as expected.
    3) Now allow option to change door/breach opening size
    4) corrected pathfinding painting process to remove odd pixels accidentally left in place.
    5) Editing world vegetation allows change in brush size to support easy delete.

Hopefully it should all be working fine now. I had a silly bug due to bad positioning of one line of code. It resulted in one of the coordinates out of the 3 triangle points having a -ve value versus the otehr 2 (tied to handling collision reflections or not). Consequently the centre positions were being miscalculated. It now looks like all the collisions fully match up.

xHolyCrusader - I added back the change in size for the world vegetation. Think I originally went to keep as fixed for the tree adding but as you said for deleting its a pain. That's just a parameter which controls what you see. Think I was considering whether to make the add one pixel but the delete multi but never got around to it as its the only type of editing that would use it.

I also added a couple more options for the battlemap editing tinting schemes. I marked them out starting with 'BM-' they are just parameters. If you have difficulty reading a value just swap to one of the other schemes as it may help.
    Good stuff, thanks.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

This is a fantastic tool. Thanks Wilddog and the gang.

I have an issue with wall animation textures which I believe is an IWTE question...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I have a new palisade texture which has been renamed and the world file updated to use that new name. All is good except that the original texture is still being used during the wall-hit animation sequence. Can somebody tell me how to fix this?

xHolyCrusader suggested that it might be the animation TGA paths. That makes sense but I don't think I quite understand how it works.

e.g. The world has this animation entry for the walls...

BlockSet/North_European/Animations/Wall_Animations/Town_Large_Wooden_Palisade/large_wooden_palisade_straight_animation_a.anim

...which does not exist in the mod so is still from the vanilla packs. When I "edit animation TGA paths" for large_wooden_palisade_straight_animation_a.mesh (from the same location, in the unpacked data) I see that it is referencing the original texture, which I expected. So, just as an experiment, I tried taking a copy of my new texture and renaming it to the original (in the mod's blockset/textures folder) thinking that the animation would now use this one instead of the one from the vanilla packs. But it didn't. I also tried taking the whole BlockSet/North_European/Animations/Wall_Animations/Town_Large_Wooden_Palisade folder and putting it into the mod. So yeah, I don't understand how it works so no idea on how to fix it myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    ...which does not exist in the mod so is still from the vanilla packs. When I "edit animation TGA paths" for large_wooden_palisade_straight_animation_a.mesh (from the same location, in the unpacked data) I see that it is referencing the original texture, which I expected. So, just as an experiment, I tried taking a copy of my new texture and renaming it to the original (in the mod's blockset/textures folder) thinking that the animation would now use this one instead of the one from the vanilla packs. But it didn't. I also tried taking the whole BlockSet/North_European/Animations/Wall_Animations/Town_Large_Wooden_Palisade folder and putting it into the mod. So yeah, I don't understand how it works so no idea on how to fix it myself.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Replacing the original texture with your one should have worked... I suspect it's actually loading one of the variants (there's variant textures for the ne_large_wooden_palisade.texture in /winter and variations/south_european and middle_eastern folders - check your log on *trace mode and look for the texture name to see which folders it's looking in. Whatever the texture name is in the .world and anim .mesh it will still look for variants for winter/cultures/factions etc and use them if it finds one, so you'd need to change all of them to fix the issue.

anyway for a permanent fix which doesn't mess up the vanilla textures;

copy the entire contents of your unpacked
    BlockSet/North_European/Animations/Wall_Animations/Town_Large_Wooden_Palisade/
    folder - put them somewhere else e.g.
    BlockSet/North_European/Animations/Wall_Animations/my_mods_Wooden_Palisade/

using 'world files' 'update animation paths' - select the animation and click OK - then edit each of the path names to;
    BlockSet/North_European/Animations/Wall_Animations/my_mods_Wooden_Palisade/large_wooden_palisade_straight_animation_a.anim
    BlockSet/North_European/Animations/Wall_Animations/my_mods_Wooden_Palisade/large_wooden_palisade_straight_animation_b.anim
    etc - save the binary files and replace your settlement's .world file with the new one

then use IWTE to amend each of the .mesh files in your new folder (using 'animations tab' 'edit animation tga paths') to suit your new texture - IWTE will save you a new version of the .mesh with _wd added to the name - delete the vanilla ones from your mod_mods... folder and rename the new ones back to match the vanilla files.

Brilliant. Thank you. I will give that a try.

it will still look for variants for winter/cultures/factions etc and use them if it finds one
    Wow, I would never have guessed that. So even though the settlement is NE-built it might grab ne_large_wooden_palisade.texture from variations\south_european, for example? That's bizarre.

It's more likely that you're just getting the winter version if you're in campaign mode and it was built by an NE faction. But if you launch an NE settlement in custom battle with other faction holding it you should end up with another variant... it's worth checking the log for which textures are being looked for - there's some weird stuff that happens when you try changing climates that did/did not have winters for some of the cultures.

EDIT; can't remember exactly but think it was something like if you added winter to a desert/arid climate then it would start to go off and try and look up the middle eastern variant

anyway - look up the log file...

Ah! Yes it was a custom battle and the holder was not a northern_european faction. Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the log.

I made the first tutorial holycrusader, but I have a problem. The last step, when you open the file barebones has the settlements, but I do not appear. I am sure that is due to an installation problem. I have installed the mods folder, if you know another place ?

thanks

I made a mud.texture overlay for a techtree building and it was working fine. Then I rotated the techtree slot that uses it, in the settlement world, and now the overlay has disappeared; just grass, no mud paths. Is there something else that needs doing when rotating slots to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by nahun View Post
    I made the first tutorial holycrusader, but I have a problem. The last step, when you open the file barebones has the settlements, but I do not appear. I am sure that is due to an installation problem. I have installed the mods folder, if you know another place ?

thanks
    sorry missed this one - If you haven't "unpacked" your game you need to do that. - When you've done that the original settlements folder will be in M2tw/data folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    I made a mud.texture overlay for a techtree building and it was working fine. Then I rotated the techtree slot that uses it, in the settlement world, and now the overlay has disappeared; just grass, no mud paths. Is there something else that needs doing when rotating slots to fix this?
    erm, hadn't noticed it doing that, but if it is there's probably not anything you can do about it - one thing to beware of is don't have any 'mud' area e.g. the white bits anywhere in the last couple of pixels around the edge of the mask - if you do that it sort of 'casts a shadow' and spreads out way beyond the techtree slot. Doubt that affects the rotation issue though.

Are you rotating to 90/180/270 or trying a diagonal?