Page 2 of 168 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: IWTE - World edditing

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov
    Have the latest version of this and no Python my hard drive.

seems to work perfectly well.
    That's good to hear. Is it a Windows XP machine or VISTA or Windows 7. Only Argantonio reported a problem so not sure how wide spread it is. The exe although large has the benefit of not interfering with python versions but the down side at the moment is that the Mayavi bits don't work. This should become slightly less of a problem as the next version shows several 2d overhead mappings within the same GUI window. As said in post 3 there are several minor corrections or updates and added views in the next version which should help at least understanding of the data.

I'm actually in the process of starting a new model myself (finally ) so updates will be more along the lines of what I think I need to add in next to simplify some of the processes.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

wilddog
    windows 7 64bit

Had a bit of a problem getting used to coordinate systems and some scaling factors but now sorted out adding, resizing and moving a Plaza.

Opifex

Wilddog, great job The system is saying I've given you too much +rep.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne View Post
    Wilddog, great job The system is saying I've given you too much +rep.
    Then it's wrong.

Adding a plaza means changing where the control point is within a settlement? Or just the plaza structure?

Plaza doesn't exactly have a structure, just a center and dimensions around which flags are shown to show the relevant area... it can be moved and adjusted via text editing if necessary, but its a good test for trying to work out ways for the tool to incorporate user feedback and later handle more complex stuff like deployment areas which WD is working on for later release.

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

Wilddog, will the next version have options for the world object tga size (world vegetation, world pathfinding etc)? Or at least an option to generate in an even number multiple of the WT/WP files..

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp

Quote Originally Posted by wolfslayer
    Wilddog, will the next version have options for the world object tga size (world vegetation, world pathfinding etc)? Or at least an option to generate in an even number multiple of the WT/WP files..
    The .world object file has been set up to have the same options that already exist for the other files. They were set to 'odd' options only though. I need to have a look to change the scaling to work on an even setup though I think only the world vegetation one had actual placements which could be affected the others were based in essence on the structure those files can take (but its been a while since I looked at it).

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer
    Adding a plaza means changing where the control point is within a settlement? Or just the plaza structure?
    Regarding the Plaza - you simply can add a Plaza if the 'settlement' doesn't have one or can change its position or change its size (I set a max of 35 at the moment but may change that). You simply move it around graphically like a drag and drop.

Its not much use in its own right so I'm now working on the deployment object. With that and the Plaza you could for example create your own villages or simply convert things like hamlets to villages. We are planning to use such things in our mod anyway.

OK an update. A couple of bits still to update/correct and performance isn't that great (but I don't see that as a big issue for this so won't address it till later but the tool is being enhanced so you can view/add/amend plaza and deployment like this:
    - Plaza you can add,resize and move.
    - deployment you can add, move nodes, add nodes
    Its a bit cumbersome a said as it was mostly a few trials to get it to work as I needed the principle for something else but its also quicker than trying to work out positions of points/nodes etc.

This is the NE large hamlet as shown from above and as it shows in the game - very rough and ready and just a load and a few amendments.

Another "quantum jump", really looking forward to this... ;-)

EarendilElenthol's Avatar Artifex

Im deeply impressed by your work, hope I will find time to learn all the ins and outs of it, but as a noob and main researcher of BTW that won't be anytime soon.

@EarendilElenthol - I know the feeling on getting on with mods.

@wolfslayer - thanks, The UI is a bit slow and cumbersome but I'll re-address that later as its still workable and easier than entering point numbers. I've also addressed the TGA problem. You can enter he size for the world TGA but it still is odd (it needs to be to correspond to the vertices count). However it was my mistake which caused the extra pixel (confused myself on something). That's been corrected and there will be basically two options. One is the 'large size' which the vegetation 4 TGA file is set to as that gives more precise positioning for the vegetation. The other is a half size scaling which is then in line with the Terrain pathfinding files.

Just a few more tests to do but hope to release this version this weekend.

Opifex

Wowww...!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne View Post
    Wowww...!
    That were my thoughts too!!

Very well done!!

+rep

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    The UI is a bit slow and cumbersome..
    With the beta I figured out first few minutes; copy the exe into the settlement folder you are working in, huge time saver; if that's what you were refering to, a "last directory" function for file loading/saving..

With the beta I figured out first few minutes; copy the exe into the settlement folder you are working in, huge time saver; if that's what you were refering to, a "last directory" function for file loading/saving..
    Yes that's something I need to sort out but the best thign at the moment is simply copy the .exe to the directory. This version always asks for the files .world, collision, animinstances and a save file name if you are doing anything to those files.

Main issue I was getting at was tied only to the on screen graphic window it shows. Its tied to number of objects/triangles I'm displaying so need to see if I can reduce that better. Its only an issue on the larger settlements. Also at the moment if you add say an extra node to the deployment outline then you always select, and button click to split a line. Its just an early version as I work out some other usages.
    I'll have a look at seeing if I can improve performance today but its partly amount of memory I'm using and I'm running on old machines now. However I don't want to get too carried away on performance until I have sussed out some more functions.
    Last edited by wilddog; February 20, 2010 at 10:19 AM.

Wilddog has just released new version - its still beta but includes some of the recently discussed functionality.

Please see first post for details and download link.

Sorry came across a bug to do with structure deletions when pathfinding entries needed deleting. Silly error so have now reloaded a version 1v3_1. If you have the 1v3 version it had the bug (7 downloads were recorded for that).

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

A couple of quick Qs

in descr_strat where we put forts and watchtowers - are there other building types that work there - presume "forts" for buildings on battle maps?

do "forts" need plazas and deployment zones before they can be used on battle maps as forts ?
    (I'm thinking probably yes or how how else is the game engine going to know who wins?)

I'm presuming fortification level none (not 0) so all access by (open) doors - as per pathfinding?

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    Sorry came across a bug to do with structure deletions when pathfinding entries needed deleting. Silly error so have now reloaded a version 1v3_1. If you have the 1v3 version it had the bug (7 downloads were recorded for that).
    With latest 3.1 version I can't open binary file - it prompts for other related files and then tries to save ..?

@Roz - I think the only other thing you can place in that section of desc_strat is wooden_fort..

So if you place me_fort_a as a "fort" the stone fort will load, me_fort_a as a "wooden_fort", the default vanilla me_wood fort will load..needs to be tested.

"fortification level" really just tells what siege gear is needed..a village as fort (none) could be sieged for 3 turns or assaulted without siege gear first turn..
    Last edited by wolfslayer; February 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM.