Thread: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Default Re: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

There is another thing I would like to suggest.
    Its something I've dealing with for like... 10 yeas now, lol.

It would be wonderful if IWTE allowed us to add collisions to multiple objects at once, as well as adding collision effetcs to them.

Selecting objects and adding collisions to them one by one takes ages. If we could ctrl + click to sort many different objects and then click only one time in "create object collision", it would be great! (click in first object + shift +click in last object of a uninterrupted sequence of objects in the object list woud also be good).

The same goes to collision effects. Let me give one example, Erebor has many invisible (alpha texture) boxes spread over the wall surfaces, they work like lamps emmiting light effects. But when you have like 50 of these lamp objects, it gets speccially annoying to go one by one assigning collisions and then again one by one giving them collision effects.

Well this is a lot of requests for now, I'll stay quiet and give you guys time to meditate about all I said here.

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    But when you have like 50 of these lamp objects, it gets speccially annoying to go one by one assigning collisions and then again one by one giving them collision effects.
    On existing version if you re-assign an existing collision (instead of creating a new collision each time) to the next lamp object, so all the similar lamp objects use the SAME collision, then when you change or add the effect it should already add it to all of them, that's been an IWTE function for a long while...

It would be wonderful if IWTE allowed us to add collisions to multiple objects at once,
    The problem with that is the directionality - if something is completely symmetrical and doesn't have an anim then it would probably work. For things like wall blocks or towers that are almost symetrical IWTE needs to be given a clue by the user about which direction they face, otherwise the fine detail like battlements, or the anims when they get applied, are likely to end up pointing the wrong way.

Anyway points noted and added to the wish list

Another thing.
    IWTE should memorize the path of the first binary file (.world) you select while opening a settlement. This way the user would not need to navigate all the way to the folder again to select the two other files. (thats really boring for someone like me who is always dealing with IWTE)
    Slightly confused with this - I've just tried with the .exe and it seems to do that already!?! - I was about to agree with you, because using the python files we use for testing do make you go through the path each time, but the .exe shouldn't be doing that... and doesn't for me!
    EDIT: actually the python files don't do that either, they'll go back to same folder for .collision etc, they just don't remember the last folder you opened if you close and re-launch, which the .exe seems to...

Also, automatically saving .worldvegetation and .worldpathfinding inside IWTE SAVE folder does not seem very useful. why not simply save it inside the settlement folder where the original files came from?
    yeaahhh - we have a bit of indecision about this - we started doing it as an alternative to adding _1 etc on the names of new files to prevent accidental overwriting - idea being you'd mess about with the files in IWTE SAVE until happy with them, then paste them into place without having to fiddle with re-naming. Some other bits (anims) now do a replace file and make a back-up copy, WD might try extending that so more of the files work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Slightly confused with this - I've just tried with the .exe and it seems to do that already!?! - I was about to agree with you, because using the python files we use for testing do make you go through the path each time, but the .exe shouldn't be doing that... and doesn't for me!
    EDIT: actually the python files don't do that either, they'll go back to same folder for .collision etc, they just don't remember the last folder you opened if you close and re-launch, which the .exe seems to...
    I tried again (with the .exe of the latest version), and you're right.

BUT... I want to give myself the bennefit of doubt.
    I can clearly remember this "problem" happening. Maybe it only happened in a specific circunstance or related to my PC configs? (Sorry if the question sounds stupid).

Ill be quiet for now to avoid wasting your time in case my report is nosense, but if I manage to replicate the case again, Ill tell in more details how it happened.

Im still not sure about the 3 main files path memorizing issue I reported, but for the .worldpkgdesc file Im sure.

If you actually opened the 3 maisn files in IWTE, then when you click to edit the .worldpkgdesc, IWTE will instantly open the same folder of the 3 main files.
    But if you use IWTE only to edit the .worldpkgdesc without first opening the 3 main files, IWTE will not memorize the .worldpkgdesc path for when you click edit worldackage file again.

This path memory is impportant for when you're editing a lot of .worldpkgdesc files (it happens when you're organizing your mod), to avid you navigating all the way again and again through folders.

I think I know now exactly what was happening.
    This is true:

I just opened a settlement in IWTE (Isengard), edited and saved it, IWTE created 3 new main files in Isengard settlement folder. OK.
    But then, using the same IWTE session, I opened Erebor, edited it and saved. And what happened was that 3 new main files of Isengard settlement were created inside Isengard folder.

IWTE does not have a "close" button to shut down the editing of a settlement, you must click "read 3 binary files" to open a new settlement, overlaping the previous one, but according to the experience I just narrated here, the previous settlement is not shut down and this causes a mess.

So you need to close IWTE and open it again to load a new settlement wihout messing up things.

Considering the current version of IWTE takes some time to start, I would say a "close" button beside the "read 3 binary files" one would be useful.

While this is not. IWTE already memorizes the path:

Another thing.
    IWTE should memorize the path of the first binary file (.world) you select while opening a settlement. This way the user would not need to navigate all the way to the folder again to select the two other files. (thats really boring for someone like me who is always dealing with IWTE)
    The problem is that since I always had to shut down IWTE and open it again to avoid the problem described in the first quote, I had to drive through the folders again because IWTE does not memorize the path once you shut it down.

So I think that fixing the problem in the first quote will fix everything. In other words, adding a "close" button to IWTE.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    The texture list has been amended to remove duplicates to make updating textures a lot easier.
    Oh dear... This would have saved me ages of working in the past.
    By the way, Im in need of this right now. Changing duplicated textures one by one is boooring.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; June 12, 2020 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks Leo, that's all noted, and will be looked at, unfortunately it's going to take a little while as WD's in the middle of a bit of a re-write to get the option to import/export to blender working, so we need to complete that and check the existing functions haven't been messed up, before we get back to a stable base to make the other amendments from.

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Latest version of IWTE 20_07_A has now been released (see below details).

I've finally got around to adding in an interface (Collada format) to allow links to Blender (2.82) which also helps some of the Max users. The interface essentially overcomes a lot of the hard limits set by the original Milkshape support. A major change is tied to world file data as Milkshape had to handle everything at a structure level with a naming convention to support. The new Collada interface uses a different naming convention and supports multiple complex loading and NOT single structures.

1) New interface in Collada format to support links to Blender and 3dsmax. This has mostly been designed and tested with Blender 2.82. The format is partially supported by Max but not all functions are handled correctly.
    2) Introduction of more top line menu options to support the new interfaces.
    3) Export via Collada of World, Complex or Object options. These also include the parent complex box.
    4) Import via Collada of World option. This reloads/replaces/deletes multiple loaded complexes in one pass. Deleting of a complete complex is still via the delete complex button. Please note that due to naming issues in data loaded to Max models involving alpha textures and reflective planes (water!) are not supported currently.
    5) Export via Collada of World terrain data.
    6) Import via Collada of World terrain data. This replaces the current terrain height data for the nodes loaded ie it also handles partial reloads of worldterrain data.
    7) Export via Collada of World animations (.anim files). This is currently only handled at 30 fps and matrix format (Blender) or baked matrices(max).
    8) Import via Collada of World animation data.
    9) new option Reset Complex Blocks to allocate objects into complexes and structures.
    10) Major speed up in calculating bounding boxes.
    11) Further corrections to the Effects and shading processes. This will likely be expanded further
    12) Introduction of new thread process and Error message system to handle slow running operations. This is a work in progress. The new Collada processes have been moved to this.
    13) Texture naming now uses only single references to a texture rather than the multiple references that Vanilla models use which should ease changing Textures across complexes.
    14) Various bugs and corrections.

Apologies in advance to Leo - we've not managed to get the file path stuff done yet as the Blender changes were rather in-depth (and also in-progress so needed to be completed first to get back to a stable version)

I'm also behind with writing up instructions as usual! There's a start explaining getting things in and out of Blender here:
    https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?...ender_for_IWTE

nadalio's Avatar Civis
    Where the nameless things gnawing the earth

You are amazing!!
    Thanks for doing this
    I tested the export of the terrain in collada for blender and it worked very good..

thanks nadalio

just a quick warning... don't try adding or deleting a reflective_plane via Blender/collada yet - we missed the link to adding/removing it as a game object, so you'll get something that looks OK in IWTE but crashes the game.

Latest version of IWTE has been uploaded. IWTE v 20_07_B.

with version 20_07_B
    1) Change to Collada animation process. Texture name info embedded in material id. This should hopefully help max users receive and return the texture name info correctly to identify 'water' and 'alpha' textures.
    2) Change to Collada animation frame rate. This has been reduced to 20fps (NOT 30). Changing Blender to this custom rate and loading files created at this rate appear to load OK and I believe more closely mirror MTQ frame rates. It also creates .anim files which are smaller. If issues are encountered I'll look to make this variable otherwise its just creating larger files.
    3) Enforced the same name on the texture and normal files. NE Large castle had a texture which for some reason was using a different normal. I haven't really checked why but doesn't make sense.
    4) Bug to do with reflective plane handling should now be resolved. They must be correctly identified via their texture type ending in '_water' (in the collada interface).
    5) Added Collada option for exporting and importing the banner meshes. There is a color element in the mesh which should show as Red and Green. The red affects the wave amplification applied to the flags. The Green value appears to have no effect (at least that we have noticed in testing).

Wilddog started trying to look at ladder behaviour and went off on bit of a tangent:

WIP attempt at getting a ladder to raise at the front, instead of the flip-over thing... the traversable network and docking distance aren't quite aligned properly yet, and I think it might need to be faster so you spend less time wondering how it's self levitating!

Would be interested to know what anyone thinks of the concept.

WIP attempt at getting a ladder to raise at the front, instead of the flip-over thing... the traversable network and docking distance aren't quite aligned properly yet, and I think it might need to be faster so you spend less time wondering how it's self levitating!

Would be interested to know what anyone thinks of the concept.
    Very nice amd different. Quite interesting how you did that. Not sure if raising the ladder at the front should be faster. I would say it should be even slower to be more realistic.

nadalio's Avatar Civis

Wilddog started trying to look at ladder behaviour and went off on bit of a tangent:

Trabuchets and catapults on towers in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by nadalio View Post
    Trabuchets and catapults on towers in the future?
    as a fixed thing (like later games) I'm fairly sure there isn't a mechanic in M2 to allow that to work - the settlement accessible animations are about destruction only

artillery able to move/deploy on walls might be feasible but I suspect that's more of a memory editing issue than us, as I can't spot a moddable file that could allow it

nadalio's Avatar Civis

Thanks for the fast reply Mak,
    it would be such amazing feature.
    I was thinking the shooting tower, they animations are harcoded?
    If you put a trabuchet model on the tower and create the animation should work?
    Do you think is possible to allow more type of animations in settlements?
    I think that Youneyuoy will be glad to try it if many people ask for that, it's a very cool feature.

I was thinking the shooting tower, they animations are harcoded?
    They're not really animations, the shooting tower thing is done by 'firing slots' which is just a position and direction, and then a projectile, which is just the projectile effect (like the arrows from a bowman)

Do you think is possible to allow more type of animations in settlements?
    Not really - it'd be the trigger aspects that are missing. The only things that exist are for DamageTransition - which comes up when an object is damaged/destroyed and switches to damaged group, and the Gate Open/Close/Impact stuff which has to be triggered by object being a Gate and having a Breach/Doors.

The things that go on all the time (like smoke from a chimney) are effects and not animations.

Currently working on expanding the collada/Blender interface to handle the cas files.
    Exporting of most cas types seems to be working fine including the extraction of animated cas files in the model_strat folder (eg generals, captains etc)
    Just looking at an issue on the cliffs cas write back and need to complete the write back of the animated cas files.