Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total War vs Call of Duty: Call of Duty: Napoleonic Warfare?

=HighXplosive='s Avatar Miles

Default Total War vs Call of Duty: Call of Duty: Napoleonic Warfare?

I had a funny thought. Although I am critical of CA's strategy in bulldozing ahead to the next commercial release at the expense of consolidating a conceptually good game and many dedicated fans consensus in dismay at their poor performance as a good developer recently, we must give credit to CA for one thing.

Unlike the Call of Duty series, which is now a milked franchise, Total War remains a niche. Unforunately,while many see CA has chosen to abuse/neglect this niche recently, I ponder that at least CA isn't milking the franchise AS BADLY as the development for COD does. While COD repackages its engine yearly as a whole new game, with whizbang graphics, etc, CA does strain the domain of thought a bit more per game.

So, while I cynically await and perch skeptically for the release of NTW, at least, lads and lasses, we HAVE NOT been blessed with Call of Duty: Napoleonic Warfare. But just in case they do, I have some suggestions!

1. 4 campaign: play as a Royal Marine in the Royal Navy against the Spanish at Trafalgar! French artillery officer in colonial America! British redcoat and Green Jacket in Waterloo. Even have respawning AI that sieges your house as your company defends from a window, and ultra fast unrealistic rifle reloading.

2. Have cameo roles as, for example, a artillery gunner as opposed to an AC130 gunship!

3. A chase! How about a chase on horse artillery through the countryside only to be cut off by an artillery shell on a bridge: but you get to bayonet the bad guy general after half your squad gets stabbed in a hazy last stand scene? Just like MW.

Yeah...until THAT is done, CA retain SOME repute.
    "The Sun never sets on the British Empire......because I have to keep restarting my campaign."

Default Re: Total War vs Call of Duty: Call of Duty: Napoleonic Warfare?

I can't imagine anything more boring than playing a line infantryman in first person, hah.

COD is fun though. Gotta say.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    I can't imagine anything more boring than playing a line infantryman in first person, hah.

COD is fun though. Gotta say.
    Cavalry might be fun. Sadly it seems Mount and Blade is the only game that can get mounted combat right.

definetly ntw it would be pretty boring to only be able to fire 1 shot every 20 seconds or so and then hardly be able to hit anything

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

You could carry a handmortar or a minipuckle gun! Now that would be fun
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by =HighXplosive= View Post
    I had a funny thought. Although I am critical of CA's strategy in bulldozing ahead to the next commercial release at the expense of consolidating a conceptually good game and many dedicated fans consensus in dismay at their poor performance as a good developer recently, we must give credit to CA for one thing.

Unlike the Call of Duty series, which is now a milked franchise, Total War remains a niche. Unforunately,while many see CA has chosen to abuse/neglect this niche recently, I ponder that at least CA isn't milking the franchise AS BADLY as the development for COD does. While COD repackages its engine yearly as a whole new game, with whizbang graphics, etc, CA does strain the domain of thought a bit more per game.

So, while I cynically await and perch skeptically for the release of NTW, at least, lads and lasses, we HAVE NOT been blessed with Call of Duty: Napoleonic Warfare. But just in case they do, I have some suggestions!

1. 4 campaign: play as a Royal Marine in the Royal Navy against the Spanish at Trafalgar! French artillery officer in colonial America! British redcoat and Green Jacket in Waterloo. Even have respawning AI that sieges your house as your company defends from a window, and ultra fast unrealistic rifle reloading.

2. Have cameo roles as, for example, a artillery gunner as opposed to an AC130 gunship!

3. A chase! How about a chase on horse artillery through the countryside only to be cut off by an artillery shell on a bridge: but you get to bayonet the bad guy general after half your squad gets stabbed in a hazy last stand scene? Just like MW.

Yeah...until THAT is done, CA retain SOME repute.
    Infinity Ward are crap programmers they are still using the Quake 3 engine, so ofc they are repackaging the same engine every year (expect when Trey does it but they still use the same engine)
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

hell yeah Napoleonic Warfare online with a max of 12 player xD

classes to choose:
    line infantry
    light infantry
    cuirassier
    dragoon
    grenadier

all right... infantry form a line and fire
    i bet a lot players would pick line infantry^^

a BF Napoleon would be better, with 64 players at least, 32 on each side, and you have to unlock the classes during each battle
    so most players start as line infantry, then some can choose light infantry, grenadiers and in the end cav

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
    Infinity Ward are crap programmers they are still using the Quake 3 engine, so ofc they are repackaging the same engine every year (expect when Trey does it but they still use the same engine)
    Modern Warfare 2 doesn't use the Unreal engine. It uses the IW4.0 engine.

@ Nicolaos, make that MAG (256 players online).
    Last edited by S-te-Fan; January 09, 2010 at 07:12 AM.

Bloodzen's Avatar Decanus

I believe there is a counter strike mod which turns the game into an 18th century FPS.You carry about 5 different muskets so you don't have to reload all the time . It looked pretty fun though because some lobbys did line infatry games where the team lined up and shot eachother and than did a bayonet charge.

Source : YouTube

that could be quite a fun game if it was done right actually.

Campaigns could be:

A scottish Infantryman fighting in India 1799-1803, i.e. Seringapatam, Assaye., then fighting in Penninsular War then finally at Waterloo.

An Austrian or Russian Curiasser or a Polish Lancer.

A man in the 95th Rifles, fighting in Denmark, Penninsula and Waterloo.

French Infanteryman, fighting everywhere.

"Peccavi" or "I have sinned"

Message from British General Charles Napier to the Governor General of India, to inform him of his capture of Sindh, (I Have sinned/Sindh).

Great ideas!
    The extra development time will allow us to finalize and polish Empire, making it the most accomplished and epic of the Total War series." said Kieran Brigden, Studio Communications Manager at The Creative Assembly. "There is a great deal of anticipation around Empire: Total War and we want to ensure that it is the benchmark for strategy games upon its release.

MW2 is fun, its like an action movie the plot makes no sense, everything happens so unrealistically but that all goes away for me the second I start duel wielding Magnums and shoving Knives into people backs, its just pure fun that I dont even have to think about whereas ETW I need to think, line goes here, advance, avoid CTD etc...

As for a Napoleonic FPS, just mod Call Of Juarez Bound In Blood, Nice Graphics and almost in time period...

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

The History Channel had two American Civil War FPS Games, and they weren't my cup of tea.

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

FAIL

In the game Darkest of days you get to fight a line battle on the middle of a field for some minutes, before you get a ultra modern assault rifle(!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXkzdfxiC44

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Modern warfare is the most pathetic game ever made im happy it made its sales because the series can only get worse it will become multiplayer only in 4-5 years.

Sorry i know its not the place to rant over MW2 but i cnat get why people wnjoy this pile of utter wobble....

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Here you go http://www.bgmod.com/
    It's the war between America & Great Britain, pretty good mod.

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Greve Af Göteborg View Post

As far as i know BG2 is kinda dead server wise......

This is not really strictly about NTW so I've moved it to the Circus Maximus.

Please PM me if you have any questions.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Greve Af Göteborg View Post
    I need to get that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast